Sponsored by:

Brake fade in rain

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 09:06 AM
peachboy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake fade in rain

While driving home last night in bad weather, rain, slush, snow all at once I noticed that the brakes would need a second or two to grip. At first I though I small amount of rust must have covered the rotor from having the car sit in the rain all day. While driving on the highway I had to hit the brake at some point and for a very long second not much happened. Finally the brake gripped properly when I pressured the pedal a lot more firmly than usuall. I'm telling you, your hearth beat shoot up on those occasions. Good thing I don't tail gate. It did that the whole way home forcing me to slow down considerably.

Is this normal ? All my other vehicule's brake do an awefull lot better in the cold rain. I can't say the fade is noticeable, even on my pickup truck. This is not the first time I notice such fad on my 996. It only happens in the cold, wet, humid weather. Could it be that the wet snow keeps the brake cold, could it be the water alone or could it be moisure in my brake fluid ??? Is this normal ?

Any one else noticed similar fades or should I take the car to the dealer ?
Old 02-17-2006, 09:41 AM
smankow
Pro

there could be several different issues. What type of tires (performance tires don't grip well under certain temps) and amount of tread, brake pads, brake fluid levels, road conditions (hydoplaning), temperature

Steve
Old 02-17-2006, 09:55 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Nothing wrong with the brakes. Your experience highlights why one should anticipate poor braking performance in bad weather.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:16 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Same thing happened to me last night....High performance street tires on sub 35 degree weather, cold tires and ABS was kicking in all over the place. Wasn't the brakes unable to perform, it is the tires...they are designed as warm weather performers.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:41 AM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

dell,

just noticed your tar.. you not heading back to va this summer?

i'll be in vegas the weeknd of march 25 we should hook up for dinner or something..
Old 02-17-2006, 11:57 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

We actually had going back to DC (the NOVA burbs) as our first choice but the opportunities avail to my wife (she's a physician) were MUCH better in Raleigh, NC where we decided on. Good news is that I still doing consulting work in McLean (Tyson's) for SAIC and will be in the area regulary (only a 4 hour drive to Raleigh). Besides, VIR is extremely close to Raleigh!!!!

Let me know when you are in town and we will defintely hook up! PM me offline and I will get you my cell number.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:04 PM
jeev
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LVDell
my wife (she's a physician)
Dell - Where does your wife work? Is she in private practice? I ask because I am a Pharmaceutical Rep here in Vegas and know a good # of docs around town. Just curious; PM me her name if you are comfortable.

Have a good one!!!! I just signed up for the DE in Parumph, will be my first in the 996 and I cant wait!!!

Jeev
Old 02-17-2006, 12:08 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Until 31 May she is working for the Air Force at the Federal Hospital across from Nellis AFB. She is finishing up her post-residency 4-year committment to the AF b/c they paid for med school and residency. Let's just say that it is nice to not have med school loans and it is nice that she was paid as an officer during resideny (twice what the civilian residents were making) but working for the govt is NOT fun. Let's just say we are counting down the days till she gets out!
Old 02-17-2006, 12:09 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I'll be at the DE 1st weekend in march as well.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:10 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

Default re

wow.. i'm at saic..

We actually had going back to DC (the NOVA burbs) as our first choice but the opportunities avail to my wife (she's a physician) were MUCH better in Raleigh, NC where we decided on. Good news is that I still doing consulting work in McLean (Tyson's) for SAIC and will be in the area regulary (only a 4 hour drive to Raleigh). Besides, VIR is extremely close to Raleigh!!!!

Let me know when you are in town and we will defintely hook up! PM me offline and I will get you my cell number.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:18 PM
peachboy
Racer

Btw, I have winter tires and it wasn't an issue of tires not gripping, it was the pads not catching for the first second and a half. Definitively a brake issue. I have many many miles of bad winter driving under my belt - heck I'm from Quebec. I'm just really surprise about the difference in the braking power between dry and wet useage. As I said, none of my other vehicule do that ????
Old 02-17-2006, 12:21 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by redduck996
wow.. i'm at saic..
Geez, what a small world! Are you in Tysons???
Old 02-17-2006, 12:25 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

sorry for the hijack mbergeron

Dell, no i'm in falls church.. (skyline) If I was in tysons, I would be having lunch everyday at HBL..
Old 02-17-2006, 12:36 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by redduck996
sorry for the hijack mbergeron

Dell, no i'm in falls church.. (skyline) If I was in tysons, I would be having lunch everyday at HBL..
WOW! My townhouse was at Cherry and 7.

....and now back to the regularly scheduled propramming (sorry for the jack).
Old 02-17-2006, 01:27 PM
jeev
Intermediate

Until 31 May she is working for the Air Force at the Federal Hospital across from Nellis AFB. She is finishing up her post-residency 4-year committment to the AF b/c they paid for med school and residency. Let's just say that it is nice to not have med school loans and it is nice that she was paid as an officer during resideny (twice what the civilian residents were making) but working for the govt is NOT fun. Let's just say we are counting down the days till she gets out!
Gotcha..... I don't call on the AF base but I know some docs who went that route, cant beat it especially when she hits private practice!!!

See ya @ the track.

Jeev

Quick Reply: Brake fade in rain