Sponsored by:

H&R Springs vs Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 07:36 PM
Ryan996
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H&R Springs vs Coilovers

I'm going to be lowering my car soon. I have a 2000 996 convertible with 18" rims. I’m not sure if I’m going with H&R coilovers or just springs. I drive the car maybe 4 times a week. I run a real estate company and I work 7 days a week so its hard to get out to the track although I'd like to. I just thought I get everyone thoughts on it.

Thanks
Ryan King
Old 02-16-2006, 08:41 PM
CameronD
Banned

I currently have a 2005 987S on H&Rs. I used to have a 1999 Techart Widebody Cabriolet which was bought with Techart (Eibach) springs with factory shocks. And had to go with H&R coilovers for their adjustability.
I remember clear as day the difference in ride quality between just springs vs coilovers. Other than adjustability none in my opinion. I find unless you are on very smooth roads or a track coilovers are useless save for there height adjustments. (I know alot of members will disagree but hey) Although the ride with the springs is compliant with my 987S I still feel like something was lost when going aftermarket for street intended driving. Plus compare the Eibachs to the H&Rs the drop on the H&Rs is very aggressive and they are supposed to show signs of sagging after awhile while the eibachs do not.
If you are in a 996 you should look into the factory european springs. I am not sure of the exact drop but atleast they are factory and retain the handling characteristics while tightening up the ride a bit. I am hardly the expert but I have been there and done it and that is my opinion.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:54 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

get a complete suspension package. i've already been down this road. the lowering springs will smoke your stock parts pretty quickly, and then you'll be left with a ****ty ride and having to pay for another complete install/alignment. save yourself the time and money and just do it right. you don't have to buy the most expensive stuff out there, just stick with the name brands.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:35 AM
delirium
Racer

I thought H&R was a name brand.?
Old 02-17-2006, 03:22 AM
phwang20
Instructor

I don't think he's saying that HR isn't.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:41 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

i was saying to stick with a name brand shock/spring system. H&R is a name brand, but that's one coilover system i would stay away from. from everything i've read, their customer service sucks and tire rack doesn't back the product up.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:49 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
get a complete suspension package. i've already been down this road. the lowering springs will smoke your stock parts pretty quickly, and then you'll be left with a ****ty ride and having to pay for another complete install/alignment. save yourself the time and money and just do it right. you don't have to buy the most expensive stuff out there, just stick with the name brands.

Are you saying if I put on H&R lowering springs I am going to smoke my oem stock suspension?

Anybody, What suspension comes standards with a Canadian 02 C4S?
Old 02-17-2006, 10:12 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I actually agree with Dog on this one, just adding springs will create bump steer, and shorten the life of your stock shocks. When the factory lowers the C4S(RoW or X73) they change both shock and spring, remember there are internal and external bumpstops involved that will bottom out during hard cornering(esp track) creating bump steer and 'floatiness'.
I believe a can C4S has US spec suspension.
The labor, etc on just changing springs is the same as installing an X73 or pss9 setup, so why not just do it right from the start. I wish it was that easy to outsmart those stupid German engineers, but it ain't.

Quick Reply: H&R Springs vs Coilovers