Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 08:42 PM
Phil Harrison
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pricecheck Pls: 2002 C2 Cabrio

With apologies to smackboy1....

Anybody got advice on a 2002 C2 Cabrio? I am holding one pending PPI & would like to get 2nd/3rd/4th opinions:

7K miles
Lapis Blue Metallic Paint
Graphite Grey Interior
Leather Sports Seats with crest
Graphite Grey Softop
Lapis Blue Hardtop
Centre console body colored
Advanced Technic Pkg
Heatable Seats (well are they or aren't they???)
18" Carrera Wheels
Clean service history
Clean Carfax
No bodywork - car looks new

Agreed price $58.5K (Porsche dealer). Is this high/low or just right?

What should I ask for, OPC warranty? I'm assuming that I should still get a PPI?

p.s. Which idiot put a radio cassette in a $88k car in 2002???

TIA
Old 02-14-2006, 11:39 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

It sounds like a fair price to me with such low mileage. You should contact Porsche and they will tell you the original selling dealer. Call that dealer's service department and ask them to run the VIN. Then you can find out what service has been done to the car at that dealership or anywhere it has been serviced. I did that when I bought mine from a non Porsche dealer. Good luck!
If you are interested in an 01 C4 Cab thats been well cared for, let me know.

Last edited by Bob in NY; 02-15-2006 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:57 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds good.
is it CPO?
Old 02-15-2006, 03:00 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Price is fair given low mileage. However, I'd be weary of a 4 yr old car that is barely driven. It's out of warranty right? That means most issues haven't been worked out yet which can cost thousands. I'd get a CPO for sure and make sure items like coolant tank, battery, RMS are thoroughly inspected.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:25 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

I couldn't agree more. Low mileage cars command a premium, but there's some anecdotal evidence that RMS may be accelerated by 996s that are driven infrequently. A CPO is a must.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:55 AM
xraydoc
Intermediate

Just as a point of reference: I recently - 3 weeks ago - purchased a used 911 Cabrio. Bought it used from an individual locally who lived just a few miles from me. He bought it new in 2002 and only used it as a 3rd car. It has 15k miles, lookes brand new, and was always serviced at the Porsche dealership. It is still under the factory warranty until Sept of this year. It's black with natural leather as follows:

2002 Carrera Cabriolet 996
A1 Black
V9 Black top
04 Natural leather brown
P05 Advanced Technic Package
P14 Heated seats
P15 Power seats
411 18” Lt Carrera Wheel

I paid $53K. You should add value for CPO and lower mileage and the few additional options but $5.5k more might be a bit on the high side. Although, if you really like the car and feel good about the dealer I wouldn't hesitate.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:37 AM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil Harrison
With apologies to smackboy1....
No apologies necessary, you know what they say,"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!"

I assume this car is CPO at that price? If not, then it makes no sense to pay the Porsche dealer premium. I can't really give you a comparable pricecheck seeing as I have a C4 but FWIW I think it's a pretty good price if it includes CPO (approx $1500-2000 value). By the time I bought a 3rd party extended warranty (4 yr/100K bumper to bumper) and accounted for all the minor issues the PPI found, the net cost to me was around $58K. IMHO the premium paid to a Porsche dealer buys you less headache and more recourse in your purchase experience and if something does go wrong later.

If this car is CPO then I don't know if a PPI is necessary, the Porsche service writer told me at my PPI that the inspection is the same as for the CPO and they have to repair everything before they can CPO the car. The other thing is that I don't know if the dealer would even allow you to PPI the car elsewhere and the selling dealer's PPI can't be trusted. If you do end up buying the car w/ CPO but w/o PPI, maybe you could get a post-purchase inspection at an indy mechanic or another Porsche dealer, and if something is found, you can always ask the selling dealer to stand behind the CPO process and fix it.

Just my $0.02. Good luck.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:45 PM
Phil Harrison
Addict
Rennlist Member

The car isn't CPO yet, sounds like everyone is in agreement that I should insist on a CPO warranty for the price.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Quick Reply: Pricecheck Pls: 2002 C2 Cabrio