Sponsored by:

Cayenne S loaner

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 03:37 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts
Post Cayenne S loaner

Dropped off my car for 15k service, as well as give the dealership a chance to give it the once over for potential buyback/sale. Parked beside the loaner Boxster was a Cayenne S. If you don't ask, you don't get, right? So I said I'd much rather have the Cayenne as the loaner. I'll be darned if they didn't give me the keys.

It's big, much bigger than thought. It also gives quite an impression of power. The tiptronic and gas pedal relationship takes a little getting used to. Had a few head-snap sensations before I got it down. Test drove an X5 in the past, and the Cayenne beats it hands down. Maybe it's heresy, but I like it!!
Old 06-13-2003, 03:58 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 211 Posts
Yep haven't test drove the Cayenne yet but seeing it in person esp the front end it's a brute ie turbo. Have to test drive one of these days. Regards. Mike
Old 06-13-2003, 05:23 PM
santicua
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice!! ..wish my dealer could give me nice loaners! Anyone know of any dealership in the bay area that gives loaners that are not crappy enterprise rentals?
Old 06-14-2003, 02:17 PM
LSM
Racer

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Palting:
<strong>Dropped off my car for 15k service, as well as give the dealership a chance to give it the once over for potential buyback/sale. Parked beside the loaner Boxster was a Cayenne S. If you don't ask, you don't get, right? So I said I'd much rather have the Cayenne as the loaner. I'll be darned if they didn't give me the keys.

It's big, much bigger than thought. It also gives quite an impression of power. The tiptronic and gas pedal relationship takes a little getting used to. Had a few head-snap sensations before I got it down. Test drove an X5 in the past, and the Cayenne beats it hands down. Maybe it's heresy, but I like it!!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Wow, better than an X5 hands down? I felt completely different when I drove the Cayenne S. Not taking into account how ugly, non sleak, station wagon like, the Cayenne looks, I thought it drove much worse than the X5. My girlfriend has an X5 4.4 sport and I thought the X5 is at least as fast if not faster and definately handled better. The X5 fully loaded is also at least 9-10k cheaper. If you look at most of the sticker prices for the Cayenne S, they are mostly in the mid $60k range. That puts the Cayenne S squarely in X5 4.6is country and believe me when I tell you the difference between those two suv's is like driving a C2 coupe back to back with a Turbo. Anyway just my thoughts.

-Lou
Old 06-14-2003, 02:32 PM
Jim Lamb
Instructor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by LSM:
Wow, better than an X5 hands down? I felt completely different when I drove the Cayenne S. Not taking into account how ugly, non sleak, station wagon like, the Cayenne looks, I thought it drove much worse than the X5. My girlfriend has an X5 4.4 sport and I thought the X5 is at least as fast if not faster and definately handled better. The X5 fully loaded is also at least 9-10k cheaper. If you look at most of the sticker prices for the Cayenne S, they are mostly in the mid $60k range. That puts the Cayenne S squarely in X5 4.6is country and believe me when I tell you the difference between those two suv's is like driving a C2 coupe back to back with a Turbo. Anyway just my thoughts.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Well, I'll happily second the opinion that the Cayenne is "hands down" better than the X5. I test drove an early 4.4 and a 2002 4.6 and neither compares favorably with the Cayenne S. The 4.4's steering was poorly thought out (to heavy at low speeds, which they corrected down the road). The 4.6 was OK, but the cargo area is a joke (as is the idea of taking it off-road). It's a decent pavement-only vehcile, but my S4 Avant (stage 2) was a more practical hauler (noticeably bigger cargo area) and a hell of a lot faster and better handling.

By comparison, the Cayenne is nicely balanced with a well-suited powerplant and suspension setup. It never feels like its straining, it's always poised, even on very hard corners or under very heavy braking. My wife and I are both happy to drive it (wife didn't like driving the X5 at all). And, at higher speeds (100+ mph), I felt much more comfortable in the Cayenne than the X5.
Old 06-14-2003, 06:08 PM
KWC4S
Instructor

test drove a cayenne S the other day...for an suv, i love it. i will be buying one for sure instead of a sedan or other suv. the salesman had me take it out on the freeway and get up to triple digits. i was very impressed with the handling and ride at over 100.
Old 06-16-2003, 03:59 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,792 Likes on 2,373 Posts
santigua, stead motors in walnut creek and carlsen porsche at palo alto both got boxster for loaners.
Old 06-16-2003, 08:44 PM
acastell
Racer

I posted on the Cayenne board a few days ago regarding my test drive. I am a believer!!

I will own one when it comes time to getting rid of the 740. Having had a BMW in our garage for the past 11 years (3,5 and 7 series), I qualify as a BMW fan(atic). I like the X5, and up until a few days ago, this was our next car. Not anymore...the Cayenne is the hands down winner in my opinion.

If you have not driven one, go!
Old 06-16-2003, 09:54 PM
seggy
Instructor

Yup I always get boxster loaner from Carlsen, and they claim they will have a cayenne loaner soon.

Last week I saw 4 boxsters with the ugly white "CARLSEN" written on the windscreens, I guess they have at least 4 loaner boxsters to help avoid enterprise.

Call before you go and book one.

I did test drive a Cayenne Turbo at the introduction.....it should be illegal for cars (trucks?) that big and heavy and tall to go that fast! ;&gt;
Old 06-17-2003, 02:10 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 76 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by santicua:
<strong>nice!! ..wish my dealer could give me nice loaners! Anyone know of any dealership in the bay area that gives loaners that are not crappy enterprise rentals?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I've always been treated well by Sonnen Porsche in Mill Valley with regard to loaner cars. I've usually been given a near-new Audi, typically an A6.
Old 06-17-2003, 03:00 PM
John Murray
Racer

It sure is nice to finally see that Rennlist people are liking the Cayenne. It took a while. We sure have come a long way......
Old 06-17-2003, 03:41 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,235 Likes on 755 Posts
Well, I still think it is a fugly POS......So not everyone is sold. You may have come a long way but you hav e got a looooooooong way to go yet. I am betting the pepper kills Porsche as an independent company.

Stooooopid idea, terminal strategy....
Old 06-17-2003, 04:51 PM
LSM
Racer

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Gretch:
<strong>Well, I still think it is a fugly POS......So not everyone is sold. You may have come a long way but you hav e got a looooooooong way to go yet. I am betting the pepper kills Porsche as an independent company.

Stooooopid idea, terminal strategy....</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I couldn't agree more. I am confident all the hype about how great the Cayenne is will be put to rest once the first comparison test is done. IMO as stated before the X5 4.4 is a better suv and the 4.6 well, the Cayenne S can't touch it. In 2004 X5 4.4 will have the 330hp 745 engine, and will still be much lighter, as it is now than the Cayenne. This will further increase the superiority of the X5 over the Cayenne S. Can't wait for the comparo test. Unfortunately, differing opinions notwithstanding, the Cayenne is still Fugly, I mean it is the worst looking station wagon I have ever seen.

-Lou
Old 06-17-2003, 05:25 PM
acastell
Racer

Retch and Lou...opposing views are good, keeps Porsche on their toes!

Have either you driven a Cayenne? If not, give it a shot. I too was a die hard X5 guy until I drove the Cayenne. Even when I sat in the Cayenne on the showroom floor, I was still shaking my head. Once on the road, all bets were off...I remember my test drive in the first model year X5...not too impressed. I think Porsche did a great job for the first release.

As far a looks, well, many people did not like the looks of the 996...Porsche will answer the call with the 997, perhaps the next gen Cayenne will receive a makeover.

Even if you never warm up to the Cayenne, you should at least welcome the car into the Marketplace as it will most certainly make the X5 a better wagon. Up until the Cayenne, the X5 had little competition.

I am just happy to have a choice...both are great wagons!
Old 06-17-2003, 05:40 PM
Jim Lamb
Instructor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I couldn't agree more. I am confident all the hype about how great the Cayenne is will be put to rest once the first comparison test is done. IMO as stated before the X5 4.4 is a better suv and the 4.6 well, the Cayenne S can't touch it. In 2004 X5 4.4 will have the 330hp 745 engine, and will still be much lighter, as it is now than the Cayenne. This will further increase the superiority of the X5 over the Cayenne S. Can't wait for the comparo test. Unfortunately, differing opinions notwithstanding, the Cayenne is still Fugly, I mean it is the worst looking station wagon I have ever seen.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Hate to burst your bubble, Lou, but the X5 has already lost at least one comparison test to the VW Touareg. I wouldn't hold out much hope for it faring well against the Cayenne.

See <a href="http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/comparisontests/2003/january/0301_comparo_bradsher.xml" target="_blank">Car and Driver - The Bradsher Bunch (January 2003)</a>

Quick Reply: Cayenne S loaner