Sponsored by:

Where to get copper tube for topsider

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 03:14 AM
seggy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Where to get copper tube for topsider

I've been thinking of getting a topsider, but I would like to suck the oil out at operating temp. I don't think that's safe to do with the plastic tubes right?

Where can we get copper (or other metal) tubes for this purpose that will fit the topsider?

Or is there another "oil sucker" that comes with metal tubing?
Old 09-10-2002, 09:55 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts
Why would you want to suck it out specifically at hot temp? Just curious. I've got the topsider on order (caveat emptor- Check their shipping and handling charges ). Oil level, dipstick or electronic, doesn't vary much with temp. It does DRAIN out better hot, but I don't think it makes a diff when you're sucking it out.
Old 09-10-2002, 02:46 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I use the Topsider on my MB CLK55 for oil changes. The tubing that comes with it is high temperature tubing and does not have a problem with the oil temperature. I really wouldn't worry about the tubing... the stuff that comes with it works fine.
Old 09-10-2002, 02:50 PM
Loren
Drifting

Palting,

[quote](caveat emptor- Check their shipping and handling charges ).<hr></blockquote>

Who did you order your Topsider from?
Just checked... my freight and tax were about $12
Unit was $49
Just curious... Thanks
Old 09-10-2002, 02:58 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts
BMP. Unit cost is $49. No tax, shipping and handling $14.00. Highest I remember ever paying for shipping and handling on a small item. And they don't put that item on their web site, either. Not a biggie, really. More of a surprise. Would have paid it regardless, 'cuz I couldn't find it anywhere else.
Old 09-10-2002, 03:22 PM
Loren
Drifting

Hmm... I bought mine from BMP Design also last October. You are right no tax just $12 S&H. Maybe they have gotten more greedy (since they are primarily BMW stuff)
Old 09-10-2002, 09:17 PM
seggy
Instructor

Thumbs up

Thanks Loren, that's good to know. I guess I'll just use what's included then.

Palting, I assumed that if you can start sucking it out immediately after the engine is stopped, then particles will have less chance of settling in the bottom of the sump. But I guess that might not be a big consideration when SUCKING the oil up. Should stir the dirt up enough.
Old 09-10-2002, 09:34 PM
seggy
Instructor

Thumbs up

overtons.com has it for $45 + $9 shipping.

And they got other oil extractor alternatives too...did you guys actually consider any other oil extractor before buying the topsider?
Old 09-10-2002, 09:44 PM
Loren
Drifting

seggy,

The Topsider is put into the sump (via the dipstick tube) and the instructions say to wiggle it around to pick-up all the oil. Good Luck!
Old 09-10-2002, 09:56 PM
aen
Track Day

OK, here is a newbie question, but please be kind. I've never used the topsider or any similar device. Does the hose go through the filler tube? On the Porsche this does not look very easy becasue there is at least one 90 degree turn in the tube, then it disappears behind various hoses and the engine.

Or is the tube small enough to go through the dipstick tube?

Is this really easier then just draining the oil out. I can understand if you are just looking to remove a little as in Palting's case, but would you use this for your average oil change.

Thanks!
Old 09-10-2002, 10:22 PM
Loren
Drifting

I use the Topsider on my MB CLK55 because that is what Mercedes does & recommends... and because there is a large panel under the engine that would need to be removed to change the oil. All work can be done from the top of the car since the oil filter on the MB is on the top of the engine. (believe it or not it is the same size filter wrench for both the MB and Porsche!).

On my 996 I drain it in the normal fashion and change the oil filter. All work is done under the car. It only takes 20 minutes and that is the drain time. The easiest way is to back the car up onto a couple (per side) of 2x10 boards. That is really all the room you need to get a pan under the car and also have room to replace the filter.

Here is a link to the factory oil change instructions:
<a href="http://web.dsldesigns.com/~ljcook/oc/index.html" target="_blank">Oil Change Instructions</a>
Old 09-11-2002, 06:56 AM
seggy
Instructor

Question

Loren, but the oil drain plug looks like it's in the middle of the sump, doesn't lifting the rear cause the oil to gather in the front corner and not drain completely?

Corvettes drain out 7 qts when the rear is lifted and 6.5 qts when the car is flat, because the plug is at the front corner.
Old 09-11-2002, 11:57 AM
Loren
Drifting

seggy,

I don't think so, as long as you don't lift (tilt) the car too much. The boards trick really only lifts less than 4 inches. If you are concerned then drive all 4 wheels up on boards.

Quick Reply: Where to get copper tube for topsider