Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

GT3 roll bar. where to buy, and how much?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 11:36 AM
KJinDC
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 20 Posts
Question GT3 roll bar. where to buy, and how much?

I just found out OG Racing doesn't make a roll bar for the 996. So, I was wondering what my options were. Once again, this car will be primarily for DE and autoX use, not sanctioned racing.

A number of you have mentioned the GT3 roll bar. What's the average cost and where can I purchase one? Thanks!!

-KJ
Old 12-12-2002, 11:32 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

I have the full cage from the Clubsport GT3. It cost me about $2000 and $1500 to install (whole interior has to come out). I decided to go for the full cage after I saw a TT east a tree at a DE in Summit Point. I decided the cage was the way to go.

Check out pics..

<a href="http://63.148.36.254/x51/Interior/" target="_blank">http://63.148.36.254/x51/Interior/</a>
Old 12-13-2002, 12:39 AM
Pete.
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another option, that is burlier than the stnadard GT3 bar, yet still a bolt-in, is a DAS roll bar.
Old 12-14-2002, 03:47 PM
John Murray
Racer

I paid $800.00 for my GT3 bar. Then a couple of hundred to install. Looks wonderful.

Good Luck.
Old 12-14-2002, 04:06 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

[quote]Originally posted by Ed Newman:
<strong>
I have the full cage from the Clubsport GT3.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Looks very nice Ed!!

So this is a Porsche part?

The white is to go with the body colour? Painted by your installer?? I probably would not have gone with white because of the reflective properties of white.

Certainly looks strong. My only question about the ClubSport cage is that it has no cross pieces between the front downtubes and the rear bar. But I don't think that there is room in the standard 996. Also, then you wouldn't be able to remove the front downtubes easily. In fact, could you do this on your car if you wished?

Good that you don't have a sunroof. So are the sun visors usable? Doesn't look like it. Though maybe you can just unclip them from their posts and reclip them in the down position?

The downtubes always look like they would be a pain to deal with but from my experience in other's cars, they aren't a problem. And they also have the added benefit that it becomes harder for passengers to kick the speaker covers.

In any case, it looks fantastic. Absolutely the way to go for maximum rollover protection on a street 996.

Oh, I suggest you make it a practice to always wear the 6-point harness. Otherwise you head might move enough to hit the crossbrace. Wouldn't be pretty.

S.
Old 12-14-2002, 04:32 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the DAS-sport roll bar which is very well built and easy to install. You can do it yourself in a couple of hours. The downside to a rollbar however, is that you are only adding additional protection to the strongest part of your roof. Obviously a full cage is the better option. If you took Ed's and added side protection it would be ever better although pretty hard for your girl to climb in and out of in a dress.
Old 12-14-2002, 05:26 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

[quote]Originally posted by JimB:
<strong>
If you took Ed's and added side protection it would be ever better although pretty hard for your girl to climb in and out of in a dress.
</strong><hr></blockquote>

Wrong model. Trade in on another with appropriately programmed ECU.

S.
Old 12-14-2002, 06:10 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Cool

The cage is Porsche OEM from the Clubsport verions of the GT3 and GT2 available in Europe. It was imported by a friend of mine in the PCA club. It is poweder coated white to matcht he exterior color. A few people sugegsted the same that the white would result in glare, but IMO it does not. The cup car cages are also white from the factory. You are correct in that it does not have any lower door bars. Although I give up some safety here it makes getting in and out much easier. I would have prefered if the had angled the bottom of the front uprights a little more towards the front of the car to make entry easier. The cage is an amzingly close fit, basically touching the trim all the way around. The benefit of a factory piece. The sunvisors take some creating in out and spin to move around the bar, but they remain 100% functional! As for daily driving, the bars are amzingly far from you head. I have been looking for some lowe profile padding to put on them but can't find anything that looks good. I am considering having a local interior guy make some leather wrapped padding for some of the points on the cage. The cage also tremendously stiffens the chassis, but it also drastically increases road noise. It seems to come from the rear strut towers which the cage bolts directly to. All in all I'm very happy with it. Makes quite an impression.
Old 12-14-2002, 08:02 PM
Aussie 996
Track Day

Thumbs up

A lot of the GT3 owners in Australia have the full factory cage and then have double cross bars added to the two down tubes. To do this the standard door trim is removed and a flat panel is added. (almost NASCAR style but doesnt intrude into door cavity)
It qualifies for CAMS in Australia and is very strong. Forget about girls in skirts though
One downside is that there is no room to put your helmet in the back with the factory set up so the navigator ends up with 2 helmets in his lap.. not as much of a problem in my Supra
Old 12-14-2002, 11:46 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

[quote]Originally posted by Ed Newman:
<strong>The cage ... drastically increases road noise.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I hadn't thought of that. I suppose it would. I actually don't recall noticing this on the GT3's I've been in but then, maybe I wasn't paying attention.

Getting some hard padding would be a very good idea. This is especially true for the bolt heads in the side bars. Nurburgring is very bumpy and my helmet will often slam into the side of the car on the padding above the window. Sometimes even hurts with a helment on.

I do think the white goes very nicely with the outside colour. And that it also matches the Cup car interior is also a plus. In fact, the whole package looks really great!

S.
Old 12-16-2002, 12:24 AM
Armando Ramirez
Instructor

Hi...

I got my GT3 bar back in late 1999 I think I was one of the fist here in the states to have one shipped over from Germay. I got mine from a Porsche dealer there since you could not get one here in the states at that time (plus anyone getting them now here is the states is just a middle man).

Give the nice interior the 996 I would not go with anything but factory stuff...it is hard enought to put in the first time without really screwing up your roof linner...(don't ask...!)
It bolts right in...you don't have to gut the inside of the car at all!!!! Only thing you loose is no one will be able to sit in the rear.

I can pop out the seats and put the bar in by myself in about 1.5 - 2.0 Hours. not hard after the first time.

If you want a contact in Germany I can give you one just e-mail me or look in the archives (if they go back that far, I posted all this stuff and the part numbers way back in 99) They take credit cards and ship either AIR or boat...I would choose boat for the bar!! Since air shipment will cost more than the bar does (trust me I know! Well I know now anyway!!)

I can also give you some install tips and what to WATCHOUT for!!!! The factory stuff looks great and it is made exact fit!
Old 12-16-2002, 08:17 PM
John Murray
Racer

One thing that nobody mentioned yet. With the GT3 bar you actually lose the ability to move the seats all the way back. If you are over 5'10" this may be an issue. I have to now keep the seat closer than I would ideally like it, but while on the track(what the bar is for) it is not an issue as the seat should be closer than the street ghetto lean that you see in all those ricer cars...

Good Luck.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:15 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Cool

You must have REALLY long legs. I have the seat way foward for track driving, and in the middle on the street and I'm 5'11". If you run out of room, you should have someone check your driving position, it is probably far from where it should be.
Old 12-17-2002, 10:43 AM
KJinDC
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 20 Posts
Thanks for all the info and advice guys. It looks like I'll either get the DAS-Sport bar or have OG Racing use my car to prototype their 996 bar. Thanks again!

-KJ
Old 12-17-2002, 11:27 AM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts
The DAS bar does that too, with the electric seats.

[quote]Originally posted by John Murray:
<strong>One thing that nobody mentioned yet. With the GT3 bar you actually lose the ability to move the seats all the way back. If you are over 5'10" this may be an issue. I have to now keep the seat closer than I would ideally like it, but while on the track(what the bar is for) it is not an issue as the seat should be closer than the street ghetto lean that you see in all those ricer cars...

Good Luck.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Quick Reply: GT3 roll bar. where to buy, and how much?