Sponsored by:

Schnell Short Shift Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 03:01 PM
rval_1999
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Schnell Short Shift Kit

Just bought this from eBay, said the angle is better than B & M..... don't even know what this means, don't even know what a SSK does, but I was just looking to buy something. Anyone have experience with this (or other SSK's) and how difficult the installaltion is????

Thanks
Old 02-09-2006, 03:38 PM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rval_1999
Just bought this from eBay, said the angle is better than B & M..... don't even know what this means, don't even know what a SSK does, but I was just looking to buy something. Anyone have experience with this (or other SSK's) and how difficult the installaltion is????

Thanks
wait, you don't even know what a SSK does and you just bought it for the f' of it? Just curious... do you know what SSK stands for? that would answer your question on what it does

Edit: just realised I came off harsh! Not my intention! I just think its funny that you bought something you have no idea what it is or does...
Old 02-09-2006, 03:40 PM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 216 Posts

My SSK was fairly easy to install. There are several threads that have good tips. My tip is to download the B&M instructions because they show the console removal in much better detail. Switch to the Schnell instructions (does a smaller font even exist?) for the install.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:45 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Rval_1999 - Here are a few tips that will make the process go much smoother. It will take about 2 hours or so, and that is working very carefully. I could probably do it in 1.25 hours now. PM me if you have any questions.

B&M INSTALLATION

Some shift ***** have a set screw on them, but most OEM ***** do not. The set screw will be up high on the shaft after you have lifted the leather boot up. If you don't see a set screw, then the **** just pulls off.

Be careful when you pull the shifter **** off of the shifter. It will take a lot of force, and it will come loose suddenly. You can smack yourself pretty well if this happens. I took two screwdrivers and placed on each side of the shifter shaft. The screwdrivers face in opposite directions so you can hold the handle of one screwdriver and the shaft of the other screwdriver in each hand. Sitting in the driver's seat, place your left forearm on your right knee. With your palm facing up, grab the left side of the two screwdrivers (already on each side of the shifter shaft) with your left hand and the right side of the screwdrivers with your right hand (also facing palm up). You can now use your left knee as a fulcrum and pry the **** off. It may go flying straight up, but you won't knock your teeth out.

The instructions for the B&M shifter will instruct you to disconnect the cables from the cable ends in step # 17. DO NOT do this!

There are two important things that will make the process easier:
1. DO mark the cables, (this is a "just in case..." step)
2. Skip Step #17 - DON'T disconnect the cables from the cable ends.

Instead of disconnecting the cables from the cable ends, you will just pull or pry the cable ends off of the shifter (Step #20).

2. In step #23 the instructions tell you to use a utility knife to cut the stock bushing clips. It is MUCH easier to use a sharp chisel and a hammer to cut the bushings off.

There are B&M instructions on their web site. It will help if you can print them out in color, which makes the pics much clearer. See link below:
http://www.bmracing.com/media/products/pdf/67.pdf
Old 02-09-2006, 04:11 PM
aben8057
Drifting

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hlight=schnell
Old 02-09-2006, 05:03 PM
BlackCab996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rval_1999

Thanks
Wow - think how much money you'll spend and how much fun you'll have once you know what other things can do for you when you're buying!

Good luck with the install...
Old 02-09-2006, 06:32 PM
rval_1999
Instructor

Well I know SSK stands for something (see my original posting title) and the name says it all. If the thing makes a shorter more solid shift that is what I am looking for. Thanks for the feedback will be installing this weekend.....

RVP
Old 02-09-2006, 06:43 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

SSK = Short Shifter Kit, BTW, you will love it. One of the best mods you can do to a P-car.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:50 PM
Duffs4
Instructor

I just got one of those myself for my new to me 996. I installed the B&M in my boxster and it was really straight forward and easy if you follow the directions and have the right tools, I'd say about a 2 on a scale of 1-10. Result = alot less rowing.

Quick Reply: Schnell Short Shift Kit