Sponsored by:

Popularity of Speed Yellow color

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 05:47 PM
slaaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Popularity of Speed Yellow color

I hear that silver or black are the most popular colors for 911's among Porschephiles but was wondering how speed yellow would stack up. Yes, I know this is a very subjective matter. Put another way, would any of you not buy an otherwise excellent 996 simply because it's yellow?
Old 02-08-2006, 06:09 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

I'd buy a Speed Yellow Porsche over a Black one any day. Just personal preference, and I hate detailing Black cars. But hey, it's all in the numbers.

#1: Arctic Silver
#2: Black

That's how it's been with Porsches for a long time. Some of this is dictated by fearful dealers ordering for inventory and afraid of not being able to find buyers for their inventoried cars. Therefore you won't see too many Speed Yellow cars in New England, and not as many Black cars in Florida.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 02-08-2006, 06:17 PM
man_of_ice
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My next car will be a speed yellow one too. Got arctic silver "as the safe choice", and I find it rather....dull.....

Hate black on black, and speed yellow is such a great bright color :-)
Old 02-08-2006, 06:21 PM
aben8057
Drifting

Hmmm...a speed yellow TT..yeah I would
Old 02-08-2006, 06:38 PM
HenryM
Advanced

The only issue with a speed yellow (or guards red) car is that these colors attract the the police. I hadn't had a ticket in 20 years when I got a red BMW. Had two tickets in the first two weeks. Since then I've had dark blue and silver cars and not had the problem. Still love red and yellow and expect my next car to be red...
Old 02-08-2006, 06:54 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by slaaw
I hear that silver or black are the most popular colors for 911's among Porschephiles but was wondering how speed yellow would stack up. Yes, I know this is a very subjective matter. Put another way, would any of you not buy an otherwise excellent 996 simply because it's yellow?
I would buy an excellent 996 if it was speed yellow. However, if it had a black interior, that would kill the deal for me. I just have never liked black interiors on ANY cars.

On the other hand, I would NOT buy a black or silver P-car even if it was in excellent condition. I agree with the points made earlier that those two colors are "too safe and too common." I am not trying to start a dispute or an argument, just offering my honest opinion.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:02 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My thoughts on Speed Yellow:

I had a speed yellow 993. Beautiful car. I loved the color and still do. I would like to own another speed yellow Porsche but until I can afford to have more than one I will not buy speed yellow. The color just attracts too much attention. Granted any Porsche where I live attacts attention because they are just rare here, however, even given that fact the color was just too noticable (even though it was a weekend only fun car). Friends would make comments I saw your car parked in the Target parking lot or going down the X road. You just never blend in.

I don't buy Porsches for everyone to look at me and see what I drive, I buy them to enjoy them for what they are, a great sports car. Therefore the more subtle colors are a better choice for me (especially now since the 996 is a daily driver). I now have Artic Silver. It blends much better. Chances are I will get something like Seal Gray next time.

Interesting fact about Speed Yellow, it attracts the bugs like no other color. I would come out to my car in summer and there would always be various insects sitting on it.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:20 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a speed yellow 996 here. I saw it the other day while eating at a restuarant across the street from the theater. Two guys got out of it and went in to see the only movie playing.......Humpback Mountain. It IS a pretty color, though.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:35 PM
SRC4S
Advanced

I enjoy contrast. sort of like the calm before the storm. In other words, add excitement to the exterior and calm it down with the interior or vice versa. therefore, silver cars I've had both had red interiors. However, red cars always had black interiors. a bright blue audi s4 had a silver (whitish) interior. I've seen grey/grey. it's just really boring to me. in saying that, i don't like similar colors for exterior and interior. OK OK, I had a an A8 that was called Northern Blue (a bluish grey) and it had a dark blue interior. But that was b/c I never had a blue interior and really wanted to give it a try.

Just get what you like! Speed Yellow is a great color!
Old 02-08-2006, 08:46 PM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

SY is a great color it certainly draws the attention. I would not get any other color then a black interior but it comes down to get the car and color you want. There are enough of these made that you can be selective. Most SY cars were built with Black interiors, black compliments Yellow very well.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:08 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I love speed yellow. This is my second SY porsche. It's a sports car for cryin' out loud. They're supposed to attract attention.

If you want to blend in, go buy a white taurus
Old 02-08-2006, 11:15 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would buy a speed yellow P...love it...with black interior (can't deal with the other P interior colors!)
But the yellow with yellow detailing in the interior on black!!!! and maybe even black rims!!??
I am daydreaming now..I have a tripple black P and love it, but a yellow TT passed me the order day and I was in love!
Old 02-08-2006, 11:16 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I would buy a speed yellow. I went with silver because i like the classic Porsche colour, but my 997 TT is ordered as a White on Chessnut, so maybe I am a little boring..Funny My First Porsche was a 99 996 Cab in Polar silver..yea I am boring.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:57 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
I would buy a speed yellow P...love it...with black interior (can't deal with the other P interior colors!)
But the yellow with yellow detailing in the interior on black!!!! and maybe even black rims!!??
I am daydreaming now..I have a tripple black P and love it, but a yellow TT passed me the order day and I was in love!

you mean like this...

Name:  DSCN1234copy.jpg
Views: 2180
Size:  88.6 KB

and this...
Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2006, 11:59 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

sorry for the gratuitious pics of my car. i couldn't resist based on the thread and your post

Quick Reply: Popularity of Speed Yellow color