Sponsored by:

Zaino outcome

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 09:46 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
My car has only 1K miles and the paint literally has no swirls - do I still need to go through the steps you've outlined, or would the Z1 and Z5 suffice? Thanks.

Phil
If your paint has no swirls then you can skip the Z5. I recommend you get the ZFX accelerator additive (skip the Z1 -- the ZFX additive makes it obsolete and is faster to apply), Z2 polish, Z6 gloss enhancer spray and Z7 car wash. Get one of those applicator pads too and 100% cotton towels.

I would still start by washing the car with Liquid Dawn to get rid of all the wax buildup and get the car squeaky clean. You may also want to use a clay bar on spots where you have sap or around the fenders where you might have some brake dust. Then follow the steps in the Zaino website.

The first time you wash your car you'll probably spend about 2 hours or so just because the Z2 will be a little hard (not too hard) to wipe off. Not to worry though, subsequent washes and application of Z2 can be done in under an hour. I usually apply about 3 coats for the season (you can apply more) and it lasts for about 6 months.

Cheers,

Last edited by programmatore; 02-07-2006 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:30 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by programmatore
If your paint has no swirls then you can skip the Z2. I recommend you get the ZFX accelerator additive (skip the Z1 -- the ZFX additive makes it obsolete and is faster to apply), Z5 polish, Z6 gloss enhancer spray and Z7 car wash. Get one of those applicator pads too and 100% cotton towels.

I would still start by washing the car with Liquid Dawn to get rid of all the wax buildup and get the car squeaky clean. You may also want to use a clay bar on spots where you have sap or around the fenders where you might have some brake dust. Then follow the steps in the Zaino website.

The first time you wash your car you'll probably spend about 2 hours or so just because the Z5 will be a little hard (not too hard) to wipe off. Not to worry though, subsequent washes and application of Z5 can be done in under an hour. I usually apply about 3 coats for the season (you can apply more) and it lasts for about 6 months.

Cheers,

I think you got your Z#'s mixed up. Z5 is suppose to Zaino's solution to "filling in" or "hiding" micro swirl marks (don’t expect it to hide much), while Z2-pro (a huge improvement over the old Z2) is suppose to be the optically clear final protectant that does not hide any imperfection in the paint. However the Z5 and Z2-pro can be used in any order. Therefore if you truly have no swirls then Z2-pro would be the product to use.

If you have swirling then removing the swirls is recommended prior to using the Z products. Zaino does make a "true" dimishing abrasive polish now that is compatible with the other Z products. I have some but have not used it extensively yet so I really don't have an opinion on its effectiveness.

On a related note for anyone thinking of ordering Z….a new and improved version of Z5 is in beta testing right now and is predicted to be for sale sometime in the spring or early summer. Also if you haven’t ordered lately you must try Z8. It is considered Z6 on steroids. I use to think Z6 was the best detailing product on the market until I used Z8. Z8 is more expensive than Z6 but it does everything Z6 does but better and it also does more. Also for Zaino newbies…. the Z7 car wash is excellent.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:33 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Originally Posted by bet
I think you got your Z#'s mixed up. Z5 is suppose to Zaino's solution to "filling in" or "hiding" micro swirl marks (don’t expect it to hide much), while Z2-pro (a huge improvement over the old Z2) is suppose to be the optically clear final protectant that does not hide any imperfection in the paint. However the Z5 and Z2-pro can be used in any order.

On a related note for anyone thinking of ordering Z….a new and improved version of Z5 is in beta testing right now and is predicted to be for sale sometime in the spring or early summer. Also if you haven’t ordered lately you must try Z8. It is considered Z6 on steroids. I use to think Z6 was the best detailing product on the market until I used Z8. Z8 is more expensive than Z6 but it does everything Z6 does better and it does more. Also for Zaino newbies…. the Z7 car wash is excellent.
You're right. I mixed up the Z2 and Z5. I updated my previous post. Thanks for the catch.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:36 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey Vove,

Looking good man!
Old 02-07-2006, 10:37 AM
bet
Drifting

programmatore,

Have you used the Zaino PC-Fusion polish? If so what do you think?
Old 02-07-2006, 12:43 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone.

Mike, your turbo_s is beautiful.

Originally Posted by evo_333
vove, car looks awesome! what suspension are you running?
I have H&R sport springs at the moment.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:44 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by programmatore
Hey Vove your car looks great. I think I recognize those buildings -- is that the Tiffany & Company building on Leesburg Pike? Let me guess...the picture was taken on the top level of the garage in Tysons I.
How did you know ?? Man, you've got sharp eyes...
Old 02-07-2006, 09:39 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bet
I think you got your Z#'s mixed up. Z5 is suppose to Zaino's solution to "filling in" or "hiding" micro swirl marks (don’t expect it to hide much), while Z2-pro (a huge improvement over the old Z2) is suppose to be the optically clear final protectant that does not hide any imperfection in the paint. However the Z5 and Z2-pro can be used in any order. Therefore if you truly have no swirls then Z2-pro would be the product to use.

If you have swirling then removing the swirls is recommended prior to using the Z products. Zaino does make a "true" dimishing abrasive polish now that is compatible with the other Z products. I have some but have not used it extensively yet so I really don't have an opinion on its effectiveness.

On a related note for anyone thinking of ordering Z….a new and improved version of Z5 is in beta testing right now and is predicted to be for sale sometime in the spring or early summer. Also if you haven’t ordered lately you must try Z8. It is considered Z6 on steroids. I use to think Z6 was the best detailing product on the market until I used Z8. Z8 is more expensive than Z6 but it does everything Z6 does but better and it also does more. Also for Zaino newbies…. the Z7 car wash is excellent.
So the take home for this is that given my paint is damn near perfect without swirls, I only need to remove the old wax with Dawn, then use Z2-pro. If so, how many coats are recommended? Is the stuff easy to apply? Thanks.

Phil
Old 02-07-2006, 10:09 PM
gr8330
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My wife has a Prius, great track car that is Gray/Blue. The color definitely isn't very deep. Two weeks ago I washed with Dawn and gave it 1 coat of Zaino. The difference is amazing. Zaino says the Z-2 can sit for 8+ hours before removal. I decided to polish the whole car and let it sit for another hour. The polish (Z-2) came off easier than ever and didn’t smear at all. Yes I'm sold.

Edit: Let me also add I only used 1 ounce of polish.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:31 AM
bet
Drifting

Originally Posted by Phil G.
So the take home for this is that given my paint is damn near perfect without swirls, I only need to remove the old wax with Dawn, then use Z2-pro. If so, how many coats are recommended? Is the stuff easy to apply? Thanks.

Phil
Yes. If you are happy with the condition of your paint then you just need Z2-pro. Since this will be your first coat of Zaino, ideally (for maximum durability) you are suppose to use the ZFX accelerator or Z1. Either of these products is suppose to help the Z to “bond” with the painted surface. After the initial application neither product is required. That being said I have use Z2-pro without either and really have not noticed a decrease in the durability. The one nice thing about ZFX is it allows you to put more coats of Z2 on during the same day.

As for application….the thinner the better. On light colored cars it is difficult to even tell if you putting any on. Removal should be easy. If not then you either used too much product or it is not completely dry. Humidity and temperature effect the drying and removal process. You can not let the product dry too long on the car. I usually put an application on and the then go do something else and let it sit for a minimum of a couple of hours. ZFX dramatically helps with the curing/drying time. If you have smearing or difficulty removing then let it dry more and/or use Z6 or Z8 with removal. It takes me less than 10 minutes to apply to the 996 and about 10-15 to remove. I then finish up with a Z8 wipe down.
I usually do 2-3 coats but I don’t like doing them the same day. I seem to get much better results with at least 24 hours in between applications (even using ZFX).

Another tip. I recommend getting some small foam applicators for application. They dramatically help in using less product and applying it thinly. The cotton applicators that Zaino supplies really soak up the product and you will use much more and I find it more difficult to apply thinly.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:41 PM
Vulture996
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

clean ur wheels and dress the tires for once, u bum ,LMAO
Old 02-09-2006, 01:18 PM
fitchy
Track Day

Default zaino in the uk

guys,

keep seeing great zaino reviews in the US and i am totally sold.

However the problem with this product for the UK is that the UK distributor wants to charge very nearly double the US cost.

I might try some in the spring, but at the moment am being put off by the rip off uk inflation of prices.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:43 PM
Vulture996
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my opinion, cost is relevant to happiness.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:04 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gr8330
Beautiful car and I will agree on the Zaino
Mike,

What wheels are those? Are they 18's or 19's???

They look great!!
Old 02-10-2006, 12:10 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Originally Posted by vove
How did you know ?? Man, you've got sharp eyes...
Ha ha! I dated a cosmetics counter girl from Nordstroms. I used to park in that garage.

Quick Reply: Zaino outcome