996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Zaino outcome

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 08:59 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I love the look of your 996, Vove. Simple, clean, elegant. Plus, if I did it again, I think I'd go with yellow for my 997S.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:07 AM
87turbolook911
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Just received my Zaino Kit....now I just gotta wait for the temps to get warmer so I can wash the car.

I have a Porter Cable orbital buffer...should I use it or do this by hand? Which will yeild better results?
Old 02-10-2006, 10:38 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 87turbolook911
Just received my Zaino Kit....now I just gotta wait for the temps to get warmer so I can wash the car.

I have a Porter Cable orbital buffer...should I use it or do this by hand? Which will yeild better results?
The trick is not to put too thick of a layer of the Z2 Polish (or Z1, or whatever product you are applying). Also, give it enough time to dry. If you do this then it will be really easy to remove by hand with a 100% cotton terry towel (I use one of those oversized white cotton bath towels from Target). It really is that easy and if you use the ZFX Flash Accelerator, you can apply a second coat after and hour. I find 3 coats is perfect for the season (about 6 months and then I reapply again).
Old 02-10-2006, 04:11 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBonus
I love the look of your 996, Vove. Simple, clean, elegant. Plus, if I did it again, I think I'd go with yellow for my 997S.

Thanks Mr.Bonus!!

Vu, Ditto what Programmatore said. I'm too **** to use those porter buffer so I always use my hands. The results don't look too shabby and the whole buffing process didn't take too long given a little elbow grease. I needed the excercise anyways.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:36 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow A lot of Zaino users. I have been using it since 1987. I have tried others rejex etc. but I keep comming back. I don't bother anymore. Easy to use easy to buff off and it just lasts and lasts. If you get bugs tree sap or other bad stuff on the finish that regular washing doesn't remove I wash with dawn and start over.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:18 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Ray S
Mike,

What wheels are those? Are they 18's or 19's???

They look great!!

Looks like Monolite RG5.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:35 PM
gr8330
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ray S
Mike,

What wheels are those? Are they 18's or 19's???

They look great!!
Sorry Ray for the late responce they are RG19's. I no longer own them they were sold to a Rennlist Member.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:14 PM
delirium
Racer

I want to get a clear bra installed on my car a little later, but is it ok for me to Zanio my car b4 I do that? I am concerned if the clear bra will not stick to the car if it has Zanio on it.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:20 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I gave some thought to the clear bra. It costs several hundred dollars to have it properly fitted. Meanwhile, to have your bumper repainted costs about the same. And, I get worried that the clearbras will fade over time and look a little to much like the sofa protectors from the 50s. Still haven't firmed my opininos on this but just mulling things over.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:31 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by delirium
I want to get a clear bra installed on my car a little later, but is it ok for me to Zanio my car b4 I do that? I am concerned if the clear bra will not stick to the car if it has Zanio on it.
No worries, the Zaino can easily be removed with an alcohol wipe down or any "prepsol" type of product. Just tell your installer you have a synthetic type of protection product on the car.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:37 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

One item I did not see addressed in the thread is that when you first start and use the Dawn soap to remove previous waxes, I recommend you use Clay bar treatment (regardless of how old or new your car is). Then Zaino away! It is an awesome product though I believe there are quite a few nice products (Klasse AIO, P21S) on the market and some that don't take quite the time Zaino does (or recommends).
Old 02-16-2006, 01:51 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

Default re

Originally Posted by programmatore
The trick is not to put too thick of a layer of the Z2 Polish (or Z1, or whatever product you are applying). Also, give it enough time to dry. If you do this then it will be really easy to remove by hand with a 100% cotton terry towel (I use one of those oversized white cotton bath towels from Target). It really is that easy and if you use the ZFX Flash Accelerator, you can apply a second coat after and hour. I find 3 coats is perfect for the season (about 6 months and then I reapply again).
Might be silly to ask but do you apply the 2nd+3rd coat on top of the 1st coat, after it dries or do you buff after each application?
Old 02-17-2006, 01:19 AM
delirium
Racer

Originally Posted by nycebo
I gave some thought to the clear bra. It costs several hundred dollars to have it properly fitted. Meanwhile, to have your bumper repainted costs about the same. And, I get worried that the clearbras will fade over time and look a little to much like the sofa protectors from the 50s. Still haven't firmed my opininos on this but just mulling things over.
Well, the bumper is easily repainted, but I plan to clear bra part of my hood, fenders, headlights, and maybe side view mirrors.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:39 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redduck996
Might be silly to ask but do you apply the 2nd+3rd coat on top of the 1st coat, after it dries or do you buff after each application?
No no. You buff it out. Applying a thick coat of Zaino or putting on two coats on top of each other will just waste the product.

I usually do the full detail one week (wash the car with Dawn, apply Zaino Z1 and Z2, buff off then Gloss Enhancer) then the following week I do the Zaino Car Wash, Z2, buff off then Gloss Enhancer. Usually this does the trick but a 3rd -- and 4th or 5th coat -- makes it even shinier. (Note: Zaino recommends waiting at least 24 hours before applying another coat but if you use the Flash Accelerator you can apply the second coat an hour after buffing out the first coat. Use their Gloss Enhancer Spray between coats.) All this info is on the Zaino website. http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...F&Store_Code=Z
Old 03-29-2006, 06:09 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Finally put a couple of coats of Zaino (Z2 w/ ZFX accelerator), then Z2, after prepping the surface with 3M Finesette II. Atlas looks great on this car, no?

Phil

'04 C4S Atlas/Black coupe
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Zaino outcome