epoxy floor

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2002, 03:36 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,832 Likes on 2,390 Posts
Post epoxy floor

saw several pix of checkered floor patterns. anyone have or know how to do that please drop me a line. i am looking for a contractor in CA who can do that to my garage.
Old 12-04-2002, 09:07 PM
RWO
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's some others for you to look at. I'm still undecided. The reason is that I work on my track car and spill oil and brake fluid on the floor sometimes. With epoxy, you can wipe it up. With the tile systems, you have to take up the tile to get to it. I'm not comfortable leaving liquids, even water, under those tiles for any period of time and I don't want to be pulling it up all the time... Food for thought...

<a href="http://www.kiwitile.com/" target="_blank">http://www.kiwitile.com/</a>

<a href="http://www.motormat.com/main.html" target="_blank">http://www.motormat.com/main.html</a>

Good luck.
Roy
Old 12-04-2002, 09:45 PM
WDog
Track Day

I epoxied my garage floor myself and love it. I had a hard time (meaning no luck) finding anyone to do it for me. The epoxy holds up well and does not peel but I have a friend who used a different brand/method and his peeled/bubbled from hot car tires.
Old 12-05-2002, 09:01 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts
I had a local flooring guy put down a black/white glue-down tile floor. It seems to withstand spills, cleans up easily, and doesn't seem to leak fluids under the tiles. AS
Old 12-05-2002, 11:24 PM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Alexander, do you have the name of the tile you used?? TIA
Old 12-06-2002, 02:07 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
In the previous house I had I simply tiled the floor with an integral ceramic tile (same color across the whole tile). That way, if I dropped a tool and chipped the tile no one would notice. I left only 1/8" for the grout and sealed the grout.

No problems in 3 1/2 years I was there. I did the clutch for my 951 and all the work in the 964.

Nothing more than a simple hose and detergent to clean the floor.

I too do not like to have fluids getting under the tile and find paint or epoxy not strong enough to hold all the stuff I do in the garage... and oh yeah... I like to do things like that once... hate to have to do that type of work over again.

Only my 2 cents...
Old 12-06-2002, 02:52 PM
WDog
Track Day

[quote]Originally posted by Jaime Diaz:
<strong>... and find paint or epoxy not strong enough to hold all the stuff I do in the garage</strong><hr></blockquote>

I've found epoxy to hold up quite well as long as you don't go the cheap route. I also notice my Porsche dealers floor is epoxy. What you you do that they don't?
Old 12-06-2002, 03:59 PM
Kerry
Addict
Rennlist Member

We applied an epoxy floor when we setup our lab on the advise of the machine shop next door. It has been very durable and shows no wear, but there is one thing it cannot handle: Liquid nitrogen. Pops it right off the concrete.

Quick Reply: epoxy floor