Sponsored by:

TRADE IN PRICE

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 03:51 PM
TallCoolOne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation TRADE IN PRICE

I am looking to trade uo in cars and I wanted to see what prices others have got for their trade. It seems to me when I look the numbers are all over the place. Any help would be great!!!

01 C2 CAB grey, black leather, I know the PSE and SSK don't matter
Old 02-04-2006, 12:04 AM
Chris 996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having a Cab in CA is a plus for resale. You will always lose if you try to trade in your car. Your best off trying to sell private party. Now if you are one of these guys that earns 300K+ a year and losing a couple thousand is no big deal and you don't want the hassle then trade it it. I have a feeling if you were one of those guys you would not be posting this thread.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:41 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey, I'm one of those guys, but I don't want to get f'd on a trade in either, that's why I bailed on my 997c4s deal.
You'll see, as you make more money, you just seem to spend more(esp with a couple of kids and a big *** morg), it's all relative.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:11 AM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

I had a similar question about mine the other day. I checked out kbb.com and edmunds.com for trade in and retail values. Then I called a client of mine (a general sales manager) at a local dealership to get an idea of what a dealer will pay compared to resale.

Suprisingly, the wholesale values were exactly the same as on the website. For instance, my wholesale value was quoted as $38650 and he said a dealer would probably give me around $34K. Your car is going to be worth much more obviously, but that gives you an idea.

As for your quote about it being all relative - I once had a professor who said it doesn't matter how much you make, you will always spend more. So true.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:23 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

rich people are ****ing cheap asses - well, more like 'thrifty' - always cutting coupons....
You don't stay rich by losing money.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:56 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
rich people are ****ing cheap asses - well, more like 'thrifty' - always cutting coupons....
You don't stay rich by losing money.
I have a friend who works at a Porsche Dealer. Obviously most of the guys who buy new Porsches are professionals, many of whom own their own businesses. My friend's experiences, don't support your assertion.

He has told me many of his experiences with how wealthy guys throw around their money on cars, and the latest happened about three weeks ago. One of his regular customers who has a 911 TT and an RS6, bought a loaded Boxster S for his wife as a Christmas present. The car had a sticker in the upper $60s. About two weeks later the guy and his wife come back to see my friend about buying a new car for his wife. Apparently the ride was too harsh for her. His wife fell in love with a Audi A8 that was on the showroom floor. They quickly agreed on a price for the Audi and also quickly agreed on the trade in price for the Boxster which was $8K less than what the guy paid for the car about two weeks earlier. Since the sales tax is 5%, the guy blew away over $11K in less than three weeks.

My salesman friend advised his customer that he was certain he could get at least $4K more for the Boxster if he sold it himself, since the car only had a couple hundred miles on the odometer and was in showroom condition. His customer dismissed the suggestion since it wasn't worth his time to save just a "few bucks." Man I wish my financial situation were such that I could look at $4K as a few bucks.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:45 PM
Scuderia
Intermediate

The best trade-in amount is what you can negotiate. But trade in is only half the equation, the other half is purchase price. You can either talk trade in up or purchase price down. It is that monetary difference that is important, not how you arrived at it. And since you reside in California you have many dealers to work with.
As for the comments about the wealthy; someone once asked Henry Ford if he lost it all how long would it take to rebuild his empire? His reply was "within five years". So what is more important, time or money!
Old 02-05-2006, 02:05 AM
TallCoolOne
Instructor

Exclamation

ok, well I guess i did alright with my trade in. I got 42k for it. I put it back to stock so I will have tons of stuff to list for sale. Everything from new stuff I did'nt get a chance to put on to some really clean interior parts
Old 02-05-2006, 02:34 AM
Chris 996
Racer

Originally Posted by TallCoolOne
ok, well I guess i did alright with my trade in. I got 42k for it. I put it back to stock so I will have tons of stuff to list for sale. Everything from new stuff I did'nt get a chance to put on to some really clean interior parts

I guess it depends on the total deal..... What did he charge you for the new car? A dealer could give you 42K for your trade in and charge you 140K for the new car?
Old 02-05-2006, 03:12 AM
TallCoolOne
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chris 996
I guess it depends on the total deal..... What did he charge you for the new car? A dealer could give you 42K for your trade in and charge you 140K for the new car?
4k under list. traded for an 06 BMW 550I loaded. 997 on order
Old 02-05-2006, 03:49 AM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

$42K sounds pretty good - did you try the kbb.com or edmunds.com for the wholesale value? I would be curious what % you got compared to the websites' wholesale value.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:00 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

When are you going to list the "tons of stuff" that you want to sell!
Old 02-05-2006, 12:55 PM
Chris 996
Racer

4k under list. traded for an 06 BMW 550I loaded. 997 on order

Sounds like you got a good deal. Congratulations
Old 02-05-2006, 03:36 PM
TallCoolOne
Instructor

Originally Posted by joes c4 cab
$42K sounds pretty good - did you try the kbb.com or edmunds.com for the wholesale value? I would be curious what % you got compared to the websites' wholesale value.
My local P-Car dealer was going to give me 38k. I found that the wholesale market is a good indicator but it is always how your strike your deal.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:38 PM
TallCoolOne
Instructor

Originally Posted by gota911
When are you going to list the "tons of stuff" that you want to sell!
making a list right now. If you want first dibs I can PM you with it. boy did I have alot of stuff

Quick Reply: TRADE IN PRICE