Negotiation Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 09:22 PM
Cash
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Negotiation Advice

I've been debating on an 03 C2 coupe for several months. Today I made an offer on an ordered car with about $10K in options and received a counter offer that was $3000 more than the same dealer offered me in November. Is what I believed to be a buyer's market shifting? Any advice on Washington DC area dealers (or East Coast) that have a rep for favorable negotiating? Thanks.
Old 02-22-2003, 10:01 PM
TurboMark
Pro

My advice:

1) Don't give your money to a bad dealer or a sales person that is trying to take you for a ride.
2) All of the dealers can be found here -- <a href="http://www.porschedealer.com/." target="_blank">http://www.porschedealer.com/.</a> One of them will give you the deal you are looking for.
3) Don't listen to anyone who tells you to pay the dealers price ... so that you can build a good relationship (with the dealer).
4)Finally, as my grandfather always taught me, they have the [fill in the blank], but I have the money!
Old 02-23-2003, 12:08 AM
Arthur
Pro

Mark,
Did you ever buy from a Porsche dealer? I understand that Mercedes dealers don't deal. Apparently that is an order from corporate.
Old 02-23-2003, 10:15 AM
Mike in MD
Advanced

HBL in Tysons gave me a very fair deal, but it was December 30. Maybe the market has turned.

IMHO better deals are made with cars in stock over ordering.

Keep calling around. It's the only way to know what market prices are. Work from dealer cost, not sticker.
Old 02-23-2003, 11:10 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
You have to be ready to write the check, its that simple.
Was this the same car or a different one some 3+ months later? Are you dealing with the same people with whom you delt with 3 months ago?
Just order a car configured the way you want it.
Be a waiter for 3-4 months
Write a check and smile!
Old 02-23-2003, 11:25 AM
TurboMark
Pro

I have bought from Porsche, MB, BMW, and Range Rover. They all deal, they just want you to think that they don't. The foundation of the luxuary sales approach is to make yoiu think that asking for a discount is below you if you can afford a $60K ++ auto.

Bottom line, the economy is not where it was three years ago when Porsche was holding out a premium on any new 996s. At about 15% margin, near the highest around, there is plenty of room for a discount.

Unfortunately, the discounts typically come for dealers outside of your local area becuase they have to 'earn' your business to get you to buy outside of your local dealer.

Of course, my experience and my opinion.
Old 02-23-2003, 11:58 AM
pete01_996
Instructor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Arthur:
<strong>... I understand that Mercedes dealers don't deal. Apparently that is an order from corporate.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">It's very disturbing that anyone would ever believe such a thing!
Old 02-23-2003, 02:04 PM
Speed
Pro

My advice would be to find a dealer that gets a large monthly allocation from Porsche and try to deal with him at the end of the month when he has to put his orders in to the factory. If he has unsold allocation he may give you more of a deal so as not take in a car that hasn't been sold. That was my experience at Manhattan Motor Cars in NYC. I ordered a 2002 cab in July 2001 for Sept. 2001 delivery. Manhattan gets 6 cabs a month from Porsche. Speak to Evan. I also noticed last week that Storms Motors in Southampton, N.Y. had about 3-4 2003 cabs in their showroom so obviously they have some inventory that hasn't been moving in this market. Ask for Stuart Schoner at Storms.
Old 02-24-2003, 04:35 PM
Jims02C2
Advanced

I went to a local dealer to order my 02C2 and was given a price of $1200 off sticker for an 03 (they had no more 02 allocation in April of 02). The salesperson said "if someone else offers you another $1k off, buy it, but if they offer you another $500 comeback and we'll talk". After that I went on the internet and shopped around. I ended buying from Champion in FL. They gave me $4k off sticker and included delivery to my house in an enclosed trailer. I dealt with Paul Householder. IMHO, I think the economy is worse now and you should be able to get a better deal, especially if you buy one from stock and not have one ordered.
Old 02-24-2003, 06:07 PM
Ash996
Advanced

Hi Cash,

I live in the Northern VA area and have noticed that the prices for cars in our area are a bit higher than what is available outside of the DC Metro. If you are dealing with HBL, they are known to be @$$holes when it comes to negotiating (I dont know anyone who has been happy with thier sales experience there, but I have had my 996 serviced there and was quite happy). I would wait and consider purchasing new from a dealer outside of the area.

Ash996
Old 02-25-2003, 10:55 PM
DCFLAT6
Banned

I have to agree with Ash996, Nova dealer's prices, especially HBL's are higher than out of state dealers. I priced out cars at Len Stoler in MD and their prices are higher than other states, new or used.

My advice is use the internet. See what other dealers are charging in other parts of the country. Florida seems to be a great place for a deal, both for new or used, and for parts for that matter. Take a look at Suncoast Porsche in Sarasota. <a href="http://www.suncoastporsche.com" target="_blank">www.suncoastporsche.com</a>

I bought used in the end, in PA. I paid 5 to 7 k less than DC metro dealers.

Good luck!
Old 02-26-2003, 12:23 AM
TurboMark
Pro

I watch the large e-bay dealers and they have had a tough time moving Porsche inventory over the last 3 months and it appears to be getting worse.

Granted many of these are used, sorry pre owned, but many traditional dealers are just starting to market 03 inventory on ebay.

Quick Reply: Negotiation Advice