Engine Replacement III

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 02:39 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by bobporsche996
Look at my previous post in the archives where I listed 84 engine failures not by RMS.. do the math with 129,000+ 996s out there and less than 1% of the 996 population on the forums and that easily converts to thousands of engine failures under 10,000 miles..
NO NO NO Bob, you cannot mistreat statistics like that. There are all sorts of inherent errors in drawing a linear conclusion from that ratio, including but not limited to a likely skewed sample set.

What you need to do is quiet down now. We get it. You are understandably upset. But enough is enough. Your unsubstantiated claims have become frivolous and destructive, not to mention highly biased from your own experiences.

It's time for you to put your money where your mouth is and file a legal claim against Porsche. In so doing, perhaps you will find the data that you seek and ultimately determine if the company has some culpability in producing an engine with an undisclosed mechanical flaw.

Until then, you reek of these lunatics that stand on the street corner holding placards reading, "The End is Near." I don't mean to belittle you or your unfortunate experience, but just what are you trying to accomplish at this point? Your posts apropos RMS leaks, slipped cylinder sleeves and engine reliability are no longer constructive.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:49 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at my previous post in the archives where I listed 84 engine failures not by RMS posted on the forums... do the math with 129,000+ 996s out there and less than 1% of the 996 population on the forums and that easily converts to thousands of engine failures...
Bob, I know you've heard this before but you cannot make that assumption about how many non-RMS failures exist. The other point I was making is your claim of under 10k mile engine failures. That is not part of the 84 failures. I'll bet Mercedes wishes they could have built a F1 engine that didn't fail last year! So much for that brand! Lexus has race engine failures as well. I guess you need to buy a Kia. Can't beat that warrantee.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:52 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do the math with 129,000+ 996s out there and less than 1% of the 996 population on the forums and that easily converts to thousands of engine failures...
Hmmmmm....this must some sort of new math that I missed learning then.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:11 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Bob, I still have my open offer for you so that you may learn exactly how to report, interpret, and use stats. My next stats class is at 1230-230p today (pacific time). Just head over to the college and come to my class (PM me for the building and room number), I am sure my studetns wouldn't mind. In fact, I think they would get a kick out of you
Old 02-02-2006, 03:34 PM
jb26jb
Racer

Oh yeah Bob Mercedes are the be all and end all of quality My good friend is a manager at one of the largest Mercedes dealers on the Easy Coast, he's been freeking out lately with new customers complaints with motors dropping dead and even one s500 that they replaced the whole car after its first motor failure only to have the replacement dump almost all its oil on the owner's garage floor two days after he brought it home. You truly are brilliant, spouting "facts" without having any real information to back your "facts".
Old 02-02-2006, 04:04 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

bet Mercedes wishes they could have built a F1 engine that didn't fail last year!

Building a durable F1 engine is easy. Building the most powerful and durable engine is tough.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:16 PM
Dave S
Rennlist Member

Bob, we well understand you bought a Porsche because you wanted to have fun driving it, talking about it, maybe tracking it and who knows maybe you like polishing it. Whatever. The point is you laid out the cash and then your hopes were dashed because the car bombed out. So now you are pi$$ed at the whole thing. It's completely understandable.
You do get, that the rest of us bought our Porsches for the same kind of reasons right? We all could have bought basic transportation but we instead paid more. And we visit this site to learn and to hopefully contribute something to this community that will be of value.
Now what are you trying to accomplish by singing the same negative song over and over? Do you want to ruin the Porsche ownership experience for the rest of us? If you're so fed up why would you want everyone else to be upset?
What's in this for you Bob to keep making the same point over and over? Do you think everyone here is so stupid they don't get your point yet?
Old 02-02-2006, 05:31 PM
Dave Howerdel
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dave S
Bob, we well understand you bought a Porsche because you wanted to have fun driving it, talking about it, maybe tracking it and who knows maybe you like polishing it. Whatever. The point is you laid out the cash and then your hopes were dashed because the car bombed out. So now you are pi$$ed at the whole thing. It's completely understandable.
You do get, that the rest of us bought our Porsches for the same kind of reasons right? We all could have bought basic transportation but we instead paid more. And we visit this site to learn and to hopefully contribute something to this community that will be of value.
Now what are you trying to accomplish by singing the same negative song over and over? Do you want to ruin the Porsche ownership experience for the rest of us? If you're so fed up why would you want everyone else to be upset?
What's in this for you Bob to keep making the same point over and over? Do you think everyone here is so stupid they don't get your point yet?
I for one am considering purchasing a 996 and am glad there are varying opinions on the board. I don't believe I would feel all warm and fuzzy if I bought a car based on the one dimensional view that the 996 was/is/always will be a perfect car and had the motor crap out 5,000 miles later.

Having two guys on this board with cars that each required 3 motor replacements in under 100,000 miles sure makes me stand up and take notice. I believe access to information such as this is part of reason this board exists and shouldn't be supressed so that those who already own these cars can feel warm and fuzzy about their decision to purchase.

I for one have owned several pcars over the past 20 yrs and have never seen in a pcar the number of or the extent of catastophic failures of a model as I have heard of in the 996. I have taken many of my cars to the 200,000 mile mark and in all cases, any engine failure was due to normal wear with fortelling symptoms that indicate attention is needed. I never considered a rod sticking out of an engine or a gallon of oil underneath the car to be a symptom.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:09 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dave Howerdel
I for one am considering purchasing a 996 and am glad there are varying opinions on the board. I don't believe I would feel all warm and fuzzy if I bought a car based on the one dimensional view that the 996 was/is/always will be a perfect car and had the motor crap out 5,000 miles later.

Having two guys on this board with cars that each required 3 motor replacements in under 100,000 miles sure makes me stand up and take notice. I believe access to information such as this is part of reason this board exists and shouldn't be supressed so that those who already own these cars can feel warm and fuzzy about their decision to purchase.

I for one have owned several pcars over the past 20 yrs and have never seen in a pcar the number of or the extent of catastophic failures of a model as I have heard of in the 996. I have taken many of my cars to the 200,000 mile mark and in all cases, any engine failure was due to normal wear with fortelling symptoms that indicate attention is needed. I never considered a rod sticking out of an engine or a gallon of oil underneath the car to be a symptom.
Dave, you're missing the point. Bob's posts are ALREADY duly noted on this forum. Anyone can read all of his posts going back since the problem first began. Indeed, reading past posts is one of the best things of ANY forum in order to gain a perspective. However, I hardly think that hearing about his problem over and over adds anything new to posts going forward. He's made his point; now he should move on.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:45 PM
austin944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by nycebo
Dave, you're missing the point. Bob's posts are ALREADY duly noted on this forum. Anyone can read all of his posts going back since the problem first began. Indeed, reading past posts is one of the best things of ANY forum in order to gain a perspective. However, I hardly think that hearing about his problem over and over adds anything new to posts going forward. He's made his point; now he should move on.
If Bob were constantly starting new threads which talked about his engine failures, then I think you might have a point. But in this thread, he was responding to another poster who experienced an engine failure. Are you saying he should keep quiet and not share his experiences with the other poster?
Old 02-02-2006, 06:49 PM
Dave Howerdel
Three Wheelin'

Edward,
I know and understand what your saying. It just seemed that Dave S was stating that nothing is gained by stating negative factual information when in fact negative information has caused me to hold out for the best example I can find, not turned me off to a 996 altogether.

99% of the problems I run into with my current pcars can be fixed under the car/hood in a weekend. Not so with the 996 hence the caution.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:34 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Dave (and the rest of you) that think the 996 is a vary scary proposition for purchase b/c there are so many blown engines you fail to understand one very simple descriptive stat......the sheer volume of 996's sold is astronomical compared to the others models. The 993 is a very beautiful car and one I would love to add to my garage as well but is NOT better than a 996 in any way EXCEPT resale. And why? Sheer numbers of those available. If they (PAG) made the same number of 996's that they made of 993's there would not be the resale value disparity and we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:07 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jb26jb
Oh yeah Bob Mercedes are the be all and end all of quality My good friend is a manager at one of the largest Mercedes dealers on the Easy Coast, he's been freeking out lately with new customers complaints with motors dropping dead and even one s500 that they replaced the whole car after its first motor failure only to have the replacement dump almost all its oil on the owner's garage floor two days after he brought it home. You truly are brilliant, spouting "facts" without having any real information to back your "facts".

What I see writen above is Mercedes doing something about issues immediatly to keep the customers happy. Porsche is not, in warantee or not.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:39 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Paul Marangoni
Hmmmmm....this must some sort of new math that I missed learning then.
oh guys, people can make up statistics to prove anything they want, 64% of people know that.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:00 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by austin944
If Bob were constantly starting new threads which talked about his engine failures, then I think you might have a point. But in this thread, he was responding to another poster who experienced an engine failure. Are you saying he should keep quiet and not share his experiences with the other poster?
That's a more than fair point. It IS important to hear everyone's opinions.

Just bear in mind that we're currently on iteration 3 of this thread. Moreover, many of us get a little agitated when Bob makes sweeping statements with accurate and non-biased facts and details that can be analyzed. We're not looking to put him down, in fact it's important to hear about all Pcar problems so that if it ever happens to one of us we know what to do. But, there's a difference between pointing something out and smothering us with it over and over.

Quick Reply: Engine Replacement III