996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Engine Replacement III

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 11:49 PM
munro86
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"common enough problem" -more unsubstantiated,unrepresentative,skewed,biased,selective,trying to blame others for my own cockups BS from Bob. But hey since when has Bob bothered to listen to anyone's protestations about his crappy logic? The blinkers are on and he is squarley focused on Porsche.One of Bob's typical thought's" Mmmm... might have a look see on Rennlist. Wonder if there's anyone with the slightest engine problem I can use to peddle my own views. Bingo! here's one. Yeh, sounds good...upset with Porsche...yeh...out of warranty...oh he bought it without CPO...doesn't matter, I'll just bang on about my story...he'll latch onto it and hey presto! I've got another convert. Mmmm.. geez theres a lot of guy's here with problems...thats gotta be a statistically relevant sample to extrapolate to the rest of all known 996's.. their all gonna blow sooner or later surely...Hell why doesn't Porsche admit to this? They just won't see the truth will they? Some people are just so deluded."
Old 02-02-2006, 12:03 AM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bobporsche996
Wouldn't you agree the RMS issue is a common enough problem inherint in 996 engines?
No, it's a pesky oil leak.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:06 AM
Dan V
Race Car

Comparing a 300hp 3.4l aluminum motor (that means it's very light and has a very high specific output for those of your who might be forgetting those facts) to some cast iron pig of workhorse motor in terms of statistical reliability is damn silly.
Who said anything about "cast iron workhorse motor"???

Ever hear of 1994-1999 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4?
3.0 liter V6, mounted so that each bank of 3 cylinders has its own turbocharger and intercooler. rated at 320hp at 6500 rpm, and 315 ft-lb at 2600 rpm.

I'm glad you're happy with your 996, but you're only kidding yourself if you think Porsche has any excuse for producing engines that, due to the design and manufacturing, are prone to having cylinders fall apart or crack at relatively low miles. It's reasonable to expect that it should happen so rarely, it should be almost unheard of IMO.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:26 AM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Anyway, tomorrow I am going to Huntington Beach to get that motor for $4200 - my mechanic went (on his own time) to look at the motor, which I thought was nice, and got him to waive the $1000 core charge. So, $4200 plus tax, plus $1200 install and remove (C4) and I can get the thing sold and it will probably NEVER have a problem again. Soon I will be signing off for good. I may check in from time to time to listen to Bob rant, but he may be gone soon too.

Joe
Old 02-02-2006, 09:12 AM
bobporsche996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why would you make a big deal out of this if there were no engine problems?
this response wouldn't exist if that was the case, wouldn't that seem logical?

obviously you seem to feel there is a huge influx of blown engines posts that i respond to.. if the m96 is such a bulletproof and great engine, then why would there be a single post about a blown engine in the first place to respond to?

people buy other cars used without dealer warranties.. infact, i'd be willing to bet that 97%+ of used vehicles purchased do not have an extended warranty from the manufacturer (cpo, pre-owned, etc..)... are 97% of those individuals morons and to be criticized for not paying $10,000 more for a lexus with 40,000 miles just because it has 2 years extra of a warranty? (imho that would be a moronic thing to do with the reliability on many pre-owned vehicles) CPO is a rather new concept.. what did people do before CPO? i suppose with your logic, every used car owner was a moron...

is porsche that unreliable, that you even admit that a cpo is a requirement when it comes to buying one, or one should be fully at fault for the engine blowing up on them out of warranty due to a manufacturing defect?

i bought my car with 44,000 miles under the presumption of driving 2000 to 3000 miles a year as a fourth vehicle.. thinking i wouldn't have any problems.. i didn't think paying $15,000 extra for the same vehicle with a CPO was worth it at the time, considering my odds with such little mileage driven.. obviously i was mistaken..

is it too much to ask that a car driven that little wouldn't run into close to $50k in repairs in a thousand miles of unwarrantied driving?

try thinking before you speak...

Originally Posted by munro86
"common enough problem" -more unsubstantiated,unrepresentative,skewed,biased,selective,trying to blame others for my own cockups BS from Bob. But hey since when has Bob bothered to listen to anyone's protestations about his crappy logic? The blinkers are on and he is squarley focused on Porsche.One of Bob's typical thought's" Mmmm... might have a look see on Rennlist. Wonder if there's anyone with the slightest engine problem I can use to peddle my own views. Bingo! here's one. Yeh, sounds good...upset with Porsche...yeh...out of warranty...oh he bought it without CPO...doesn't matter, I'll just bang on about my story...he'll latch onto it and hey presto! I've got another convert. Mmmm.. geez theres a lot of guy's here with problems...thats gotta be a statistically relevant sample to extrapolate to the rest of all known 996's.. their all gonna blow sooner or later surely...Hell why doesn't Porsche admit to this? They just won't see the truth will they? Some people are just so deluded."
Old 02-02-2006, 10:32 AM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Joe I hope the replacment motor works out painlessly(relatively) for you.

>>>>Ever hear of 1994-1999 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4?
3.0 liter V6, mounted so that each bank of 3 cylinders has its own turbocharger and intercooler. rated at 320hp at 6500 rpm, and 315 ft-lb at 2600 rpm.<<<<

You mean the almost 4000lb car with a cast iron block that wasn't developed in a race car? Yeah, you've got me there.
What do you think that complete powerplant weighs?
Old 02-02-2006, 10:48 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Here's my .02. You go out and buy a "used" Porsche and think, "this is a pure sports car that is bulletproof". The truth is that you have no idea what the previous owner did to the car and how it was used. Was it raced? Did the previous owner modify the ECU? These are important facts. A car that is raced will not last long no matter how well it is designed and built. An engine that is stressed by having it maxed out by some back yard tuner will not last either. And doing both is a recipe for disaster and yet, this is very common. Yes, RMS is an issue. I just don't think it is as big as it seems on this board. When I am relating to my friends about how well the Porsche is designed I simply ask them to look at the typical club race (not brand specific) and tell me what the most common marques among the 10 year old and older cars is. Oh, and by the way, I have never seen a 1994-1999 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 on the track ever.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:28 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

try thinking before you speak...
Well if that ain't a perfect example of the pot calling the kettle black.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:05 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

exactly, but doesn't the same go for CPO cars as well? who's to say a CPO car wasn't treated horribly by the previous owner? sure porsche checks everything out, but that doesn't mean, as any private party purchaser can do the same type of inspection... and either can have a major failure immediately thereafter purchase.. the only difference between a cpo car and a private party car is the two year warranty.. and the cpo would cover the replacement.. while i believe cpo is the only way to go used, i also don't think it's acceptable for out of spec engines to have to be replaced by the hundreds (atleast) on vehicles under 10,000 miles due to design flaws that porsche refuses to acknowledge exist, when they clearly do...

Originally Posted by mitch236
Here's my .02. You go out and buy a "used" Porsche and think, "this is a pure sports car that is bulletproof". The truth is that you have no idea what the previous owner did to the car and how it was used. Was it raced? Did the previous owner modify the ECU? These are important facts. A car that is raced will not last long no matter how well it is designed and built. An engine that is stressed by having it maxed out by some back yard tuner will not last either. And doing both is a recipe for disaster and yet, this is very common. Yes, RMS is an issue. I just don't think it is as big as it seems on this board. When I am relating to my friends about how well the Porsche is designed I simply ask them to look at the typical club race (not brand specific) and tell me what the most common marques among the 10 year old and older cars is. Oh, and by the way, I have never seen a 1994-1999 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 on the track ever.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:26 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

i also don't think it's acceptable for out of spec engines to have to be replaced by the hundreds (atleast) on vehicles under 10,000 miles due to design flaws that porsche refuses to acknowledge exist, when they clearly do...
How many of the posters that complain about engine replacements are both less than 10k miles and caused by design flaws (by which I guess you mean RMS failure)
Old 02-02-2006, 01:28 PM
Dan V
Race Car

a cast iron block that wasn't developed in a race car? Yeah, you've got me there.
So, the M96 motor was developed in a race car? That's news to me! Which race car was that -- the Boxster?
Old 02-02-2006, 01:50 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Old 02-02-2006, 02:16 PM
jb26jb
Racer

Dear Bob, you will never get it. While you may own several highend cars you clearly know nothing about cars. Your comparison of Porsche to Lexus clearly demonstrates that. No one who actually understands what a sports car is would buy a Lexus expecting to get a true sports car. The cars are designed for a completely different purpose. The risk in buying an used true sports/performance car is, as was previopusly stated by others, that it history as to use and maintenance are basically unknowns. To buy one used without a warranty when a warranty is available for a bout $1800 more is just foolish. The two year CPO from Porsche gives you not only peace of mind for the two years but is also along enough period to assume that any major flaws in the car will present themselves. Bob please sell your car buy a SC 430 and go complain on a lexus board how it doesn't perform like the 996 you sold.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:28 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

Look at my previous post in the archives where I listed 84 engine failures not by RMS posted on the forums... do the math with 129,000+ 996s out there and less than 1% of the 996 population on the forums and that easily converts to thousands of engine failures...

Originally Posted by mitch236
How many of the posters that complain about engine replacements are both less than 10k miles and caused by design flaws (by which I guess you mean RMS failure)
Old 02-02-2006, 02:31 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

lexus isn't my cup of tea, but i respect those that buy them as they are reliable cars.. i bought an sl55 thank you very much, which i do enjoy.. 500hp/500lb of torque, gets me around town and handles excellent.. while not a stick, still a nice performer... and, no i would have no concerns of problems buying an sl55 or sl65 used.. the engines don't blow up like porsche engines... i have yet to ever hear of anyone with an r129 ever having to have an engine replaced..

Originally Posted by jb26jb
Dear Bob, you will never get it. While you may own several highend cars you clearly know nothing about cars. Your comparison of Porsche to Lexus clearly demonstrates that. No one who actually understands what a sports car is would buy a Lexus expecting to get a true sports car. The cars are designed for a completely different purpose. The risk in buying an used true sports/performance car is, as was previopusly stated by others, that it history as to use and maintenance are basically unknowns. To buy one used without a warranty when a warranty is available for a bout $1800 more is just foolish. The two year CPO from Porsche gives you not only peace of mind for the two years but is also along enough period to assume that any major flaws in the car will present themselves. Bob please sell your car buy a SC 430 and go complain on a lexus board how it doesn't perform like the 996 you sold.

Quick Reply: Engine Replacement III