996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Engine Replacement III

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 02:21 AM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Wow - glad your engine trouble worked out. Did you buy a CPO or is it under factory warranty still?

Anyway, I was looking at the pics of my motor (which still make me very sad by the way - its been 5 weeks tomorrow) and it seems mine would have been an easy problem to prevent. I am no mechanical engineer, but it looks to me that if Porsche had added a small "bridge" from the cylinder sleeve to the wall of the block, it would strengthen the sleeve a lot. Maybe an inch deep, but still shallow enough for the coolant to still pass underneath (im red).

Anyway, have a look at the pic and see if this makes sense.

Spoke to my mechanic today and he said he knows the guy selling the motor on ebay for $4200. He got him to waive the additional $1000 core charge but says he can be a little "shady" to say the least. He doubts the motor is "reconditioned top and bottom" as the seller claims since Porsche AG seems to be the only ones who can fix these things.

Did anyone see that turbo 996 motor on e-bay with only 10,000 miles for $17K? Now THAT would be fun!

Last edited by joes c4 cab; 02-12-2008 at 01:41 AM.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:30 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think a bridge would work...
Old 02-01-2006, 05:00 AM
Crivens
Instructor

Re the picture above.
That isnt a slipped liner. That is a cracked cylinder. Normally caused by an airlock in the coolant that sits under the cyl and lets it overheat in that one spot, hey presto a crack appears and lots of steam. The slipped liner is the inner sleeve of the bore(can be seen with the color change) - this can pull down into the bore, when the piston comes up the rings pop over the top and next time down it smashes itself to pieces.

We saw quite a few 996 engines over the past 3 years. Slipped liners etc.
We saw a lot of unhappy owners, most of them low mileage and just out of warranty.
One chap was having his car serviced by the main dealer when they called him to report the supsected critical fault, he said he would get down asap. When he arrived they presented him with the full price of the completed service which they had undertaken to complete before he came down.
with that kind of attitude summing it up I dont think the majority of people have any option but to pay up and shut up. We did start to see some 2001> cars with the slipped liners, now that was a worry as they were supposed to have been improved out.

www.red964.com/html/dyndex.php
www.projectsonly.co.uk
Old 02-01-2006, 09:55 AM
bobporsche996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

crivens,

you mean, others with engines failures? but the 996 engine is bulletproof! no need to worry according to the 4 or 5 posters on this forum that agree <g>

and about the TT engine, yeah that's an expensive sucker.. used i saw em selling for $30,000 a pop.. but i very rarely, if have ever heard of a TT/GT3 engine failure.. i don't think that's really an issue.. just the m96 which has the design flaws that porsche refuses to acknowledge..

considering a m96 engine new is $25,000 from the dealer, I wonder the new price on the TT engine.. actually i don't want to know.. or care ..I will never own another porsche again.. i should have bought a used ford at the ford dealership instead, i would have had better reliability and customer satisfaction atleast..
Old 02-01-2006, 10:39 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Looks like a cracked cylinder to me. You are not the only one.

Pic from AFJuvat.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:56 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

you mean, others with engines failures? but the 996 engine is bulletproof! no need to worry according to the 4 or 5 posters on this forum that agree

It's interesting the information that you get when you visit other forums. If you go to G35driver for example, you'll find that they complain a lot about rattles, squeaks and not being able to get 40K miles on their tires. No posts about engines blowing or seals leaking. Maybe there's a message there.

I'm not suggesting that a G35 is comparable to a 911, but aside from minor annoyances, the G35 does seem to be truly bulletproof.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:36 AM
wrljet
Racer

Originally Posted by fast1
I'm not suggesting that a G35 is comparable to a 911, but aside from minor annoyances, the G35 does seem to be truly bulletproof.
What the hell is a G35, some Japanese transportation appliance?
Who cares how reliable their motor is -- it ain't no 911!

Bill
Old 02-01-2006, 12:15 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After reading this thread and seeing the pix -- it occured to me -- working in car dealerships for 3 years in the mid-'90s, I dont recall ever hearing of an engine breaking up internally, even in crappy cars like mitsubishi and ford (2 makes I was around the most).
It's unbelievable -- Almost makes me embrassed to own a Porsche.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:31 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by wrljet
What the hell is a G35, some Japanese transportation appliance?
Who cares how reliable their motor is -- it ain't no 911!

Bill
You missed the point. German cars always charged a premium, and that premium was justified by the fact that they were built to last forever. It wasn't unusual for MB engines to last well over 200K miles when American cars were being junked after four years. Almost no one questioned Porsche reliability and quality until the 996. If you surf the various Porsche, BMW, and MB forums today, lots of people are asking questions about the reliability of these German manufacturers. How many 996 owners do you believe will sell their cars before the expiration of their warranty? My guess is that you won't find many informed 996 owners keeping their cars beyond the expiration of their warranties.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:23 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

what it comes down to, that pisses me off more than anything about porsche corporate, is with all the HUGE influx of money they made with the 986 and 996, the only thing that happened was customer satisfaction, customer relations, and reliability got worse.. what the hell did they do with all that money?

...and to top things off.. they designed the 997 with the damn same engine as the troubled m96.. kind of like a "f*** you" to all of us.. like.. "we know our engine has issues, but you have money, so you can afford to replace it once it fails out of warranty..." how about some of those billions in profit being spent on r&d before releasing the 997 with the same exact inherint m96 problems... to me, that's just plain insulting to all porsche owners in general imho..
Old 02-01-2006, 05:04 PM
pl
Drifting

[QUOTE=bobporsche996].. what the hell did they do with all that money? ... [QUOTE]
they bot VW
Old 02-01-2006, 06:01 PM
Dave Howerdel
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Design a motor to last the term of a standard lease and make it too complex for an indy shop to reasonably rebuild. Sure you'll have to replace a few of them under warranty but those 2nd and 3rd enthusiast owned non CPO cars will generate beaucoup bucks when they fail.

They don't even have to defend themselves as their rep from 15yrs ago still generates comments like
"Who cares how reliable their motor is -- it ain't no 911!"
New slogan:
Porsche, brilliant, simply brilliant.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:37 PM
jury_ca
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

996 911 has allowed Porsche to get very close to the top spot in the JD Powers' initial quality rankings and dependability rankings (quality after 3 yrs) for quite a few years now. In fact, quality ratings are said to be on par with that other paragon of sports car reliability, the NSX.

Porsche uses a different process than everyone else to line their cylinders. The process is called LOKASIL. You can google the term or read this article for an overview:
http://waw.wardsauto.com/ar/auto_bor...rybodys_ideas/.

Other than goodwill, there is not much Porsche can do to pay for repairs after the warranty period. If this was a common enough problem (i.e. early V8 BMWs that had to have engines replaced due to faulty Nikasil liners), Porsche should consider extending everyone's engine warranty by another 2 yrs.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:49 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

>>>>how about some of those billions in profit being spent on r&d before releasing the 997 with the same exact inherint m96 problems... to me, that's just plain insulting to all porsche owners in general imho..<<<<

How the heck do you know that's the case? You sit in on meetings with Porsche's project manager for the 997? I love pure conjecture couched as fact.

Comparing a 300hp 3.4l aluminum motor (that means it's very light and has a very high specific output for those of your who might be forgetting those facts) to some cast iron pig of workhorse motor in terms of statistical reliability is damn silly.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:05 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

Wouldn't you agree the RMS issue is a common enough problem inherint in 996 engines? What has porsche done with that? Not only are they not paying for out of warranty replacements, they won't even acknowledge it as an issue, so why would it be any different with something the would cost them 20 times as much?

Originally Posted by jury_ca
996 911 has allowed Porsche to get very close to the top spot in the JD Powers' initial quality rankings and dependability rankings (quality after 3 yrs) for quite a few years now. In fact, quality ratings are said to be on par with that other paragon of sports car reliability, the NSX.

Porsche uses a different process than everyone else to line their cylinders. The process is called LOKASIL. You can google the term or read this article for an overview:
http://waw.wardsauto.com/ar/auto_bor...rybodys_ideas/.

Other than goodwill, there is not much Porsche can do to pay for repairs after the warranty period. If this was a common enough problem (i.e. early V8 BMWs that had to have engines replaced due to faulty Nikasil liners), Porsche should consider extending everyone's engine warranty by another 2 yrs.

Quick Reply: Engine Replacement III