Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Supercharged 996 3.4L: A perfect daily d...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 03:30 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Supercharged 996 3.4L: A perfect daily d...

Although the 3.4L's don't make "quite" as much power as the 3.6Ls with the super charger, I really do like the non-Egas throttle response on these. I wish all the cars were non-Egas but that's another story. I had a blast testing this one out tonight and with some PSS9s and wider BBS RS-GT wheels it handles pretty darn well too. Has a few other things like the B&M SSK, Fabspeed Exhaust and headers...

I'm liking these so much that I'm considering the shop having one. Would make for an awesome daily d and the price is so darn low these days. We've done and driven a good few super charged 3.6L cars and I know they're now proven to be 11.8 @ 122 in the 1/4 and I just don't think the 3.4Ls are that far off. I'll have to go try it out for sure but my guess is maybe an 11.9 @ 120.
Attached Images      
Old 01-26-2006, 10:53 AM
Red141
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

How much is darn low?
Old 01-26-2006, 12:03 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by AC 996C2
How much is darn low?
Well in the mid 20s around here is not uncommon. That's just a great bargain.....
Old 01-26-2006, 12:13 PM
Red141
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, I thought you were referring to SC pricing. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:41 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Alex, if you have the LSD option, it makes for a better performing car that the egas ones. I agree with you that egas sucks and if I had egas in a performance gar, that would be the first thing that be changed. You won't find it difficult to get the 99 C2 to turn mid to low 11's, safely and consistantly. (UNCORRECTED). What do you have your rev limiter set at?
Old 01-26-2006, 12:45 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
Well in the mid 20s around here is not uncommon. That's just a great bargain.....
Damn...
Old 01-26-2006, 01:24 PM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome.... **drool
Old 01-26-2006, 01:45 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by AC 996C2
Oh, I thought you were referring to SC pricing. Thanks.
Hey AC... no I was referring to the car I know aftermarket parts are not cheap and I do stand behind the EVO kit having done many of them now but it depends on the perspectiv. It's not cheap per se but then again it's 40% of the RuF one
Old 01-26-2006, 01:47 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Alex, if you have the LSD option, it makes for a better performing car that the egas ones. I agree with you that egas sucks and if I had egas in a performance gar, that would be the first thing that be changed. You won't find it difficult to get the 99 C2 to turn mid to low 11's, safely and consistantly. (UNCORRECTED). What do you have your rev limiter set at?
You are so right about that. I know I sound like an old fart (I'm only 30 dammit) but I really hate E-Gas on these cars. Just feels false to me... With an LSD, smaller pulley and good tires, I think I could get a mid 11. The coupe is 2960 stock right? I figued I could easily drop 250 out of it...

Rev limiter is 7K on this one.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:48 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by riad
Damn...
I know... Great bargains indeed. The wife and shop need another car just like I need more power in the turbo lol
Old 01-26-2006, 01:51 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

You are so right about that. I know I sound like an old fart (I'm only 30 dammit) but I really hate E-Gas on these cars. Just feels false to me... With an LSD, smaller pulley and good tires, I think I could get a mid 11. The coupe is 2960 stock right? I figued I could easily drop 250 out of it...

Yeah, just dump the spare and drink a few less beers before track day, and you'll be good to go. Stay away from the 19 inch wheel, too. Underinflated, good stock tires will get you there. 50psi in the front.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:54 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yeah, just dump the spare and drink a few less beers before track day, and you'll be good to go. Stay away from the 19 inch wheel, too. Underinflated, good stock tires will get you there. 50psi in the front.
Haha... I _hate_ 19s. Never ever would I even dream of running or let along drag racing on 'em I was thinking more about BFG heh....

I'd take out the seats, rear tail motor etc... get lighter wheels, 2 piece rotors, nuke the spare and kit, remove the front and rear 5mph crap... Hmm light weight battery:P
Old 01-26-2006, 02:09 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Haha... I _hate_ 19s. Never ever would I even dream of running or let along drag racing on 'em I was thinking more about BFG heh....

I'd take out the seats, rear tail motor etc... get lighter wheels, 2 piece rotors, nuke the spare and kit, remove the front and rear 5mph crap... Hmm light weight battery:P
There is no doubt that lightening up the car will acheive much better numbers, but I prefer to keep the car the way I could drive it around the country, while still maintaining it's awesome performance. (other than changing tire pressues).

If I wanted 10's, I would strip the car like you suggest, replace the front wheels with narrows, cable strap the suspension to provide more weight trasnfer on takeoff, install a live power feed to the variocam keeping the lift high at all times, remove 1 1/2 gallons of coolant from the system (saves 12 pounds), ice up the aftercooler system (or methane and water spray), remove side mirrors, carpet, remove A/C, freewheel the alternator, empty window washer, remove wipers, and on and on and on. However, that wouldn't make much of a daily driver.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:03 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a '99 is supposed to be 2919# but probably w/o fluids and bare bones-no options.

rip out the speakers/stereo (will be doing soon ), sunroof delete, carbon hood, carbon decklid wing, remove the sound insulation and of course the spare tire. what else?

wish i had an LSD after fishtailing onto the freeway the other day (cold and damp).

here's more of sharkwerks handywork. sorry for the dirty engine bay, this car is no queen .
Attached Images  
Old 01-26-2006, 03:06 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

There is no doubt that lightening up the car will acheive much better numbers, but I prefer to keep the car the way I could drive it around the country, while still maintaining it's awesome performance. (other than changing tire pressues).

If I wanted 10's, I would strip the car like you suggest, replace the front wheels with narrows, cable strap the suspension to provide more weight trasnfer on takeoff, install a live power feed to the variocam keeping the lift high at all times, remove 1 1/2 gallons of coolant from the system (saves 12 pounds), ice up the aftercooler system (or methane and water spray), remove side mirrors, carpet, remove A/C, freewheel the alternator, empty window washer, remove wipers, and on and on and on. However, that wouldn't make much of a daily driver.
See I need that. Somebody NEEDS to reel me in. Before I even have a 99 C2 that's super charged I'm already talking about taking it from Daily D comfort status to dropping 300 pounds. OK so backwards I go. I think it would be high 11 second car daily D pretty easily I am already looking around for one...

Quick Reply: Supercharged 996 3.4L: A perfect daily d...