Sponsored by:

PSM is it necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 04:32 AM
delirium
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSM is it necessary?

I am buying my first used Porsche. Can anyone tell me if PSm is necessary? The car I am interested in does not have PSM on it (I dont think it does at least).

PSM is an option right? Should I pass on a car that does not have PSM? I currently drive a bmw that has DSC and I feel safe w/ it and think it would help with a car as fast as a C2!

What do you guys think? Please help!

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2006, 05:16 AM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

my C2 cabrio has the basic traction control and it's already excellent, i cant imagine needing any more intereference, i usually drive with it off.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:12 AM
man_of_ice
Racer

It depends, doesnt it?

I have lots of snow, and its standard fitted on the C4. This winter the PSM has already kicked in _a lot_ of times to save my ***. So I would not buy one without it.

If I would live in a sunny area, then no - no need.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:40 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

It depends upon the driver. If you have attended peformance driving schools and regularly track your car, PSM isn't necessary. Most of the drivers that I know who fall into this category, routinely disengage PSM on their cars because they believe it takes away from their driving pleasure.

On the other hand, I believe that drivers who don't fall into that category, can greatly benefit from PSM equipped cars. An inexperienced performance car driver can take a PSM car and drive it hard with little fear of losing control. Moreover, in slick driving conditions PSM can help you to maintain control of your car.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:46 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

PSM is just another safety feature. It is like ABS or seat belts. It is not "necessary", that is, until you need it. When you need it, it can be life saving. You'll appreciate it if you go into an exit ramp a little bit faster than you intended, or hit an unexpected puddle of water in a fast corner, or if you have to do sudden manuevers in the rain to avoid an accident.

Can you have a car without it? Certainly. Cars have been without it for decades. Is it a good idea to have it? Absolutely. All new Porsches now have it as standard, and all upscale cars now have versions of it. Buy the car if you really like it and the deal is right. But, a car that has it would be a better car to buy.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:07 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nope

Old 01-20-2006, 09:17 AM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

As others have stated, if you drive it in the snow 100% yes, if the car is never in snow, then no. I think it depends on your driving style as well, ask your self this if your current car has it, do you use it?
Old 01-20-2006, 10:18 AM
ZBlue996Kam
Pro

It is definitely not necessary.

However, I would prefer to have it.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:37 AM
Nick Crooks
Advanced

I don't have it on my '04 and did not see it as a critical option. I think you go with the best car and price you can find and should not make PSM a deal-breaker. Having said that, PSM or not you must respect these cars and their power.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:41 AM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

Not necessary, but one of the best options for a 911.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:56 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have one Porsche with it (996), and one without (986). Do you need it......no.

Is is nice to have in bad weather? Yes, it provides a nice safety net.

IMHO, Porsche needs to do two things to make their PSM system perfect.

1) Make it 100% driver defeatable.
2) Provide a multilevel system so that the driver could select different levels of slip that the system would allow. I.E. (Standard, Sport, and Race modes).
Old 01-20-2006, 11:22 AM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

I don't have it, and even on a watered autocross course the car was great. I have no intention of driving it in the snow though.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:45 AM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

PSM is not necessary, but it is like the "hand of god" that will keep you from bending your car in extreme circumstances.

I have it on my 996, and sometimes I turn it off, because it keeps me from doing any sort of drifting etc. The 996 is very controllable in most circumstances, but it is good to have it for the unexpected situations.

I also have it on my wife's Audi, and in bad weather, it has saved our butts several times.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:24 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

The best thing I have found out about PSM so far is that it is MUCH less intrusive than some other systems. DSC on the BMW's (in particular, my M3) is very bothersome - cutting power entirely in some cases. For instance, going to work, there is one light where the turn is off-camber. Any application of power at all here results in rear-tire spin and oversteer - the DSC would kick in, cut power, and then reapply full power once traction was re-established, ending up with a jerky go - no go - go situation. Same thing with full throttle take-offs - any tire spin and DSC cuts all power, then reapplies it making for a very jerky launch.

I have drifted the back end slightly with PSM on and it gently manipulates throttle to regain traction but it never just kills the power.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:37 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gravedgr
The best thing I have found out about PSM so far is that it is MUCH less intrusive than some other systems. DSC on the BMW's (in particular, my M3) is very bothersome - cutting power entirely in some cases.
I attended a BMW autocross event a couple of years ago where they left the stability system on. Just dreadful. You had to wait a three count for power out of a corner. Probably great on the street in everyday driving, but no good when you are trying to have fun. I have not autocrossed my 996 to see whether there is a difference, but I have yet to come across a circumstance where I was swearing at PSM. Give it time, though, I probably will.

As for the original poster, I would much rather have PSM than not. I agree its not necessary, but it is a nice safety net which does not spoil the fun of every day driving.

Quick Reply: PSM is it necessary?