Sponsored by:

PSM is it necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 12:49 PM
SRC4S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
The best thing I have found out about PSM so far is that it is MUCH less intrusive than some other systems. DSC on the BMW's (in particular, my M3) is very bothersome - cutting power entirely in some cases. For instance, going to work, there is one light where the turn is off-camber. Any application of power at all here results in rear-tire spin and oversteer - the DSC would kick in, cut power, and then reapply full power once traction was re-established, ending up with a jerky go - no go - go situation. Same thing with full throttle take-offs - any tire spin and DSC cuts all power, then reapplies it making for a very jerky launch.

I have drifted the back end slightly with PSM on and it gently manipulates throttle to regain traction but it never just kills the power.
Precisely! I owned an e46 m3 as well and I really disliked the DSC. When you have such an intrusive system, you tend to turn it off more often than necessary. However, credit must be given to BMW for making the M3 very telepathic in it's transitions. With DSC off, I've slipped it quite a number of times and have been able to gather myself extremely well afterwards. I couldn't have said that about an S2000 I onced owned.

I've taken a slight uphill off camber turn with the C4S and managed to let the rear out. The momentary slip was hair raising fun before PSM decided to reign in on the party. However, in comparison to the M3, I do know that PSM allows for a greater amount of *freedom of expression*.

Therefore, is it necessary? Probably not. Is it worthwhile to have? Definitely as no public road is w/o danger. I'd rather be humbled by PSM than the aftermath of a little too much excitement.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:12 PM
OGiii
AutoX

My 99 996 has standard 'switchable' Traction Control. It is a superb not too intrusive system and I wouldn't like to not have it!

As long as you at least had TC I wouldn't be put off buying a car that didn't have PSM.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:17 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

I think, like other posters have mentioned, it depends on where you live climate-wise

I have TC and this has only kicked in a one time in 16 months of ownership

I personally would not like a car with PSM unless it was completely defeatable
Old 01-21-2006, 03:50 AM
delirium
Racer

can anyone tell me what type of traction control come standard on the 2002 996 c2? ASR traction control?
Old 01-21-2006, 03:56 AM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

You haven't truly experienced a 911 until you get sideways on an on/off ramp, and keep your foot on the gas and steer thru it. That's the joy of no PSM. You'll become a much, much more capable driver all around with no PSM. It'll force you to be smooth on the power and balance your car in corners, rather than lean on the PSM as a crutch and never getting better.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:58 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

Or it will teach you the cost of repairs.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:11 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Could you really get an '04 without PSM? No PASM maybe, but no PSM?

Last edited by Russ Murphy; 01-21-2006 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:41 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by delirium
can anyone tell me what type of traction control come standard on the 2002 996 c2? ASR traction control?
I believe it's called ABD: Automatic Brake Differential. Applies brakes to the spinning wheel to force torque to the wheel with traction. Simillar to the older form, where the differential itself applies more friction to the faster spinning axle thereby redistributing the torque to the non-spinning wheel. PSM upgrades to where brake pressure is applied separately to all 4 wheels to try to keep the car going where you want it to..
Old 01-21-2006, 06:43 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gravedgr
Or it will teach you the cost of repairs.
Very true. Keep it on the track, not on the street.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:53 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

>>>>I believe it's called ABD: Automatic Brake Differential. Applies brakes to the spinning wheel to force torque to the wheel with traction. Simillar to the older form, where the differential itself applies more friction to the faster spinning axle thereby redistributing the torque to the non-spinning wheel. PSM upgrades to where brake pressure is applied separately to all 4 wheels to try to keep the car going where you want it to..<<<<

Isn't there a engine map/throttle interaction as well? So as to reduce the torque delivered to the differential in the first place?
Old 01-22-2006, 12:39 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It bogs me down when I shift to 2nd when I have to jump into traffic
Old 01-22-2006, 01:37 PM
sheldon
AutoX

I have a 1999 996C2 which doesn't have PSM or the standard traction control.

I had one incident comming of a round-about in the wet, when my back wheels tried to overtake the front. At that point I would have loved to have PSM :-)

However I think without it you just have to pay a little more attention and some times you won't push as hard as you might have done, as you know you dont have a saftey net.

If Youve found a car you like which doesn't have it, id say go for it and just book yourself on an advanced driving course.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:31 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no problem trail braking/drifting w/PSM on. It allows for quite a bit slip before it kicks in (just the right amount IMHO). It's also about the only option that's not retro fit-able.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:23 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Russ Murphy
Isn't there a engine map/throttle interaction as well? So as to reduce the torque delivered to the differential in the first place?
On PSM, yes. Not on the std ABD. I believe there are several levels of PSM "intrusion". PSM takes away the throttle from you when the car is seriously out of shape to try to bring it back under control.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:20 AM
C4 Pazzo
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had my 2000 C4 cab for a year-and-half and never had the PSM kick in until yesterday at a DE event at Thunderhill (including a previous track day and lots of spirited driving) when it kicked in twice. The first time I stayed on the brakes too long going into turn three after cresting the hill on the off camber turn (driving my rear-view mirror). I might have been able to save it without the PSM, but I'm not sure. With it, after fish tailing back and forth a few times, PSM took over and straightened me out without incident (the instructor seemed a bit surprised we didn't go off track, and impressed with PSM). The second time, the back end started to slide out when I turned in too much when front end was light. I'd already adjusted and felt fine when PSM switched on briefly. I'm certain I would have been fine without it in that instance, but it wasn't intrusive. I might switch it off the next DE, but will leave it on for day-to-day driving for sure.

Quick Reply: PSM is it necessary?