Sponsored by:

How To Valet - An Etiquette Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 03:17 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe2000C4Cab
I never use the valet services in my 911. If they insist, I'll drive them along and park it where they tell me to else I'll leave (and later make it clear to the establishment why I left). However, I do ask first if I can have my car parked up front, less chance of any damage when it's in plain sight. Typically a little "grease" in the palm of the valet and I can park my car anywhere I want. Please be sauve, be prepared ahead of time with the "grease". As you start to talk to the valet, offer to shake their hand and pass along your token of appreciation. This has never failed for me from Spanish Bay to the Carnelian Room.

BTW, this just embarasses the hell out of my wife, especially if we pull up with the top down and have to go through the "top up" scenario before I engage the valet.

Funny story, I arrived at a local brewpub (BJ's Brewhouse) that only has valet parking. A pimply faced 16 year old valet walked up. I told him that there was "no way on God's green earth that he was going to park my car." In a pre-pubescent cracking voice he answered "Oookay!". What were they thinking when they hired this crew?
BJ's brewhouse in san fran...priceless name......BJ!!
Old 01-16-2006, 04:44 PM
Joe2000C4Cab
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NOBLEGT3
BJ's brewhouse in san fran...priceless name......BJ!!
Actually, it's a chain from (I believe) SoCal. To tell the truth, the beer's not so hot. I'd rather do the Faultline or Tied House any day.

Cheers.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:36 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

depending on where you go....just hand them the keys....but then again mine is a 99 and a TIP...so anybody can drive it...If I had a stick....I would not give it to them, because most of them do not know how to drive stick..and that can be very expensive in the longrun.

Tip the guys well and they will take care of it, because most of them love Porsches as much as we do!
Old 01-18-2006, 06:31 AM
b_creative3
Advanced

I would think no matter how well you tip them, they will torture your car depending on their mood. I have seen many valet drive like Fomula 1 driver here in CA. But of course it doesn't apply to all of them, some of them are easy and cool. And, remember to take with you all your valuables (or lock them) before handing your key to someone you don't know.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:10 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Originally Posted by wross996tt
I don't do valet. If it's valet only, I still park it.
Same here, after I saw a Ruth's Chris valet bump park and M3 convertible I vowed never to valet
Old 01-19-2006, 12:08 PM
RussellNYC
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I used to live with valet parking day in and day out...

I found the best one on 42nd street between 9th and 10th. Totally self-park, and you can park a day in Manhattan for about $18. If I park in the garage under my office building on 45th street, it will cost $55.

Back when I lived in apartments and rented garage spaces for my manual transmission cars (Audi, BMW, etc), I was always irritated by the problems that resulted. Thankfully, I now have my own house with my own garage, so I don't have these problems daily, more like monthly. The problem was, since I was seeing these parking lot attendants (where I lived, they were all from Ecuador), I became friendly with them, and tipped them regularly ($1-5 each time I saw them, which was at least twice a day). This was on top of the $250-350 I was paying monthly to garage the car each month. I speak spanish, so I would often stop and chat with the guys. When damage to the car resulted the first time (see curb rash, below), I compained to the manager, and one of the guys got fired. After that, I kept my mouth shut and figured car damage was the cost of doing business in NYC. I pleaded with them to be careful, and they usually were, but you can see why this sucks.

Here are my favorites:

1. Curb rash. Rash was fresh on my new wheels, valet denied it. Next day, new rash, next day, new rash. Finally, I ran below deck and took photos of the car parked next to an inside curb with fresh powdered aluminum on the curb, my tires, and my wheels. I got a $200 discount, and my beautiful wheels were never the same.

2. Shoe-print on the passenger seat. It seems that when they get the car into really tight spaces, they have to crawl through the car to get to the driver's door.

3. Shoe-scuff on driver and passenger window sill, dashboard, and console.

4. Hand over the keys, valet starts car, revs engine, then stalls followed by restart and immediate second stall, followed by lots of throttle and gratuitous clutch slipping.

5. Gratuitous engine revving. My car has a turbo boost gauge, and everyone, from the valets at restaurants to the guy at the Audi dealer, blips the throttle over and over again to try to get the gauge to show boost (which it won't do in neutral with no load on the engine).

6. Suspicious decrease in fuel level with no increase in mileage. When I parked at an outdoor lot one winter (no monthly spaces available in the indoor lots, yes it's that hard to find one), it took me several weeks to finally discover that the attendants were using my car in winter as a place to warm up. After I'd give them the keys, they would wait for me to leave, then sit in the car for hours with the heater on and the engine running. Great.

7. Car not ready when you're in a hurry. Doesn't matter if you live there or if you are a tourist on your way to see Phantom of the Opera, if you try to get your car out of the garage at a rush time, you will be standing there for a while. I used to call ahead 30 mins to have my car waiting for me, but sometimes they either forgot, or the lot was too crowded/busy to get the car out fast. I have been late to many important appointments because of this. Paradoxically, when you really have to be on time in NYC (before midnight), you need to take the subway.

Enjoy!
Old 01-19-2006, 05:12 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

Russel - good points, and welcome to the board. However, as everyone else will demand - INTRO and PICS!
Old 02-16-2006, 04:16 PM
stresser
Advanced

A little extra dough to have your car parked up front is usually worth it to keep the valets from joyriding and to avoid door dings, etc. I just say "I'd like it close"... they know what that means and they'll let you know how much. Usually, it's 10-20, but sometimes they just grin knowingly and park it there. If I'm going out to have fun I'm not going to embarass my wife by "valet" parking the car myself or wasting my night worrying about it. Yes, it's a very fine machine, but I try to keep it in perspective.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:36 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,235 Likes on 755 Posts

You find the head guy working that shift, and ask him if the car can be left in the spot you want...if he says yes, you put it there, give him the keys and pay him at least 60% of the amount the valet parking is gonna cost anyway, discretely.....when you return, you give him the rest, again descretely, upon retrieving your keys. If you frequent the same place often enough.....the guy comes to recognize the car and you pretty quickly. This approach has never failed me......
Old 02-16-2006, 04:54 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

i think the whole joyride situation is a little overblown from ferris buelers day off.. <g> how many have actually encountered a valet driver that "joyrided" their car? i've seen and heard about mistakes happening when parking or driving around a lot.. but plain old taking the car out for a drive.. never heard of it really happening..
Old 02-16-2006, 05:01 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wross996tt
I don't do valet. If it's valet only, I still park it.
I agree. I tip the valet guy and park it myself.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:08 PM
Temple
Addict
Rennlist Member

I avoid valets -- too many friends were valets and the stories are horrific -- but if a place is valet only I insist on parking it myself with the valet in the passenger seat. If they look offended, or confused, I normally inform them that my insurance policy forbids anyone but me from driving the car. While completely untrue, it has never been challenged and they always accept it as sensible. (I then give a decent tip as well).
Old 02-17-2006, 02:43 AM
Ryan996
Intermediate

I never Valet it. I've known a few valet guys. They take joy rides. I park as far as everyone as possible and try to find a spot that close to a wall or curb, so I can park as close to it as possible.
Its very unfortunate they people can be so careless they we have to be almost paranoid about door dings.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:11 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bobporsche996
i think the whole joyride situation is a little overblown from ferris buelers day off.. <g> how many have actually encountered a valet driver that "joyrided" their car? i've seen and heard about mistakes happening when parking or driving around a lot.. but plain old taking the car out for a drive.. never heard of it really happening..
Bob, are you kidding me? Why do you think that you have already had TWO catastrophic engine failures? Porsche design flaw, my ****. Stop valeting your car already. You're killing me.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:09 AM
bobporsche996
Pro

i never drove the porsche to the valets.. the sl55/bmw yes, but not the porsche... i had enough problems with the car blowing up on me as it is.. bmw has 145,000 miles on the engine and still running like new.. gotta love it

Quick Reply: How To Valet - An Etiquette Question