996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How To Valet - An Etiquette Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 05:01 PM
Joe2000C4Cab
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Dell, how do you know ahead of time? Like the local brewhouse here, I was stunned that they only had valet and never would have thought to call ahead.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:09 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Well, here in Vegas are options are pretty limited and you figure out VERY quickly who valets and who doesn't. General rule though.....We know that if we go anywhere out here by our home in Summerlin then we can take the 911. If we go anywhere do on the strip we take the Cayenne.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:37 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one thing to do is always first ask for the valet manager if there are more than one or two individuals parking cars.. when you do give them $20 in any major city, that should cover the cost of the parking as well... when they give you a parking token, don't take it.. at 95% of establishments i've found, this is a given that when you're car is parked upfront, they don't have to pay the parking garage, so they gladly take the $20 and let you park outside for a couple of hours without having to pay the parking fee..

NEVER give them a tip such as $20 AND take the ticket.. any place that does that and requires me to take a ticket, i just tell them to take the cost of parking out of the ticket owed.. after that, they realize i'm playing with their money, and they take it back

$10 on the other hand, is kinda iffy.. but $20 should cover you for 2 hours and first class treatment and upfront parking...
Old 01-13-2006, 06:50 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

When the C4S was brand new, I NEVER let the valet drive it. If the establishment was valet only, I would have the valet sit in the passenger seat and I parked it. All the valets I've met seem to understand. A few just point me to the front or by the front entrance beside a Ferrari, MB or some such other car.

4 years and several dozen DE's later, I no longer sweat it. If they point me to the front, fine. If not, that's fine, too. The car is still immaculate, meticulously cared for, but, it's still just a car. I'll be in the market for a GT3 in the near future, and I'll carry the same attitude to that new car.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:16 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Eli K
I just toss 'em the keys.
So THAT'S how the pic in your avatar came to be!
Old 01-13-2006, 10:07 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

valet = SUV
GT3 is for me
Old 01-13-2006, 10:41 PM
ScottS
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with not valeting as possible but hard to know always. Had a meeting in NYC at Ritz Battery Park. Drove Phila to NYC and valet at RC. Tip upfront and ask to keep it close- code for upfront. It will cost you but that's the price of ownership/usership- not the same thing. Small price to pay for using my car when I want.

Drove Fcar in South France/Monaco. Car was always upfront with the others. PCars, not so much.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:42 PM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LVDell
Simple......

If I have to valet I take the Cayenne
If I can park myself I take the 911
i hate you dell!! You have some crappy options

I either take the 911 or hit the subway
Old 01-13-2006, 10:55 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bobporsche996
$10 on the other hand, is kinda iffy.. but $20 should cover you for 2 hours and first class treatment and upfront parking...
I wouldn't worry about it too much, Bob - you engine will blow before they have a chance to joyride it...
Old 01-14-2006, 12:57 AM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottS
Drove Fcar in South France/Monaco. Car was always upfront with the others. PCars, not so much.
F-car... that's a Ford right?
Old 01-14-2006, 12:59 AM
bobporsche996
Pro

cool, then i get another engine under warranty.. all is good.. nothing wrong with a fourth engine, as long as i don't have to pay for it :>
Old 01-14-2006, 03:23 AM
rpratt
Advanced

Originally Posted by Billhero
Depending upon where you live the 996 may not get the attention you expect. Many nicer places here in the Bay area will have Ferraris, 997s, Aston Martins, Bentleys and brand new AMG MBs out front. A simple 996 does not get the attention you might expect.
Definitely true. I parked in front of my corner grocery store today at lunch to run in and get a sandwich, and when I came back out there were two cars parked behind me and one in front. The ones in back were a Ferrari 360 and a brand new Maserati 4-door, and the one in front was a new Bentley. While I love my 996, it definitely wasn't the star of the show.

Bob

PS: This was Robert's market in Woodside, if anyone local is curious. Besides having a great deli and meat counter, its a good place to car watch.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:17 PM
zahjah
Advanced

Originally Posted by Billhero
Depending upon where you live the 996 may not get the attention you expect. Many nicer places here in the Bay area will have Ferraris, 997s, Aston Martins, Bentleys and brand new AMG MBs out front. A simple 996 does not get the attention you might expect.

yeah--such is the case at max's in mizner park in boca raton-- maybe a 996 will get a rock star spot on a slow night. otherwise you'll take a backseat to all the bentleys, maybachs, lambo's and f-cars...if you're in a p-car and want some props--better be in a cgt

a crisp "hamilton did the job for me last night tho' at "ocean aire" here in b'more.

Old 01-14-2006, 10:41 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zahjah
yeah--such is the case at max's in mizner park in boca raton-- maybe a 996 will get a rock star spot on a slow night. otherwise you'll take a backseat to all the bentleys, maybachs, lambo's and f-cars...if you're in a p-car and want some props--better be in a cgt

a crisp "hamilton did the job for me last night tho' at "ocean aire" here in b'more.

THe good ole' world of money makers and big spenders...

Im super **** when it comes to this so them valet boys will never get a chance to test drive my 996.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:10 AM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Man you guys aren't any fun! My first job was parking cars back in the day and I have to admit I got to test drive Bently's to Ferrari's and everything in between around the block and that's how I found out the Porsche was the car for me. Back then I was tipped anywhere from $20.00 to $100.00 bucks, but the hundred always got he best spot.

Quick Reply: How To Valet - An Etiquette Question