996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How To Valet - An Etiquette Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 01:22 AM
bobporsche996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$100 is a little bit excessive.. regardless if you're rich or not, giving $100 just as a tip for 1 min is plain stupid.. while many can rationalize $20 is stupid as well.. i just think $100 is ridiculous for parking a damn car..
Old 01-15-2006, 03:29 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,691 Likes on 2,339 Posts

any where that requires valet is not worth going, i aint letting ppl touch my car even when i am in my 15 year old accord. car to me is like my wife, i dont think i let others valet her.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:16 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
any where that requires valet is not worth going, i aint letting ppl touch my car even when i am in my 15 year old accord. car to me is like my wife, i dont think i let others valet her.
Good one, Mooty!!
Old 01-15-2006, 09:34 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Interesting read! I just concluded that I'm a cheap tipper
Old 01-15-2006, 11:04 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,691 Likes on 2,339 Posts

mike, i would think it's a privilege for a valet to valet your car. i dont think you are a cheap tipper. i think you are the VICTIM. the valet should tip YOU. think about that.

OT, when i miss dental appt, i get fined. once my dentist had to cancel on me, so i told him, he will be fined and i have no interest in paying for that particular visit. he did the crown for free! he thought i was insane to come up with that logic)(#&*%)#*%.... well i am insane, why else do i drive porsche.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:47 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by mooty
mike, i would think it's a privilege for a valet to valet your car. i dont think you are a cheap tipper. i think you are the VICTIM. the valet should tip YOU. think about that....
Mooty,
Thats a good way to put it!! I always thought that $5 tip is way enough

Last edited by Carrera Mike; 01-15-2006 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:13 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

NEVER HAVE I TIPPED MORE THAN $5

That is plenty. Besides, living out here in Vegas the idiot valet parkers expect you to overtip assuming you are a tourist. I am not contributing to that mentality and they can just get over it. Besdies, they don't get their tip till after you get your car (not when you drop it off). Not pissing away my hard earned cash on a kid that has the honor of touching my car. And before you overtippers start bashing me and proclaiming that they will treat my car like crap since they will remember it you are mistaken. There are WAY TOO MANY cars that go in and out of the places we would valet here in Vegas for them and their sub average IQ's to recall. Funny thing is, most of the time I come out to see my Cayenne parked right in front without even having to ask. Glad to see they respect the brand!
Old 01-15-2006, 11:28 PM
monabaker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm really glad this topic sparked so much interest. I have quite enjoyed reading everyones responces. It has given me alot to think about! Many thanks everyone!
Old 01-15-2006, 11:54 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

is parking in New York City really that bad?
if you guys saw some of the places i parked my car, valet-ing would look like a walk in a flower garden as opposed 2 a bad day in bosnia.

still..i've never valeted my car...ever. for some reason i think its because if i valet park it, and **** happens i'll be like: FAK now i have 2 bitch and complain to the manager or whatever if something happens...plus i don't trust ppl.

whereas if my car is keyed because i park it somewhere i just think: FAK..I was the one who should have been more careful.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:03 AM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rpratt

PS: This was Robert's market in Woodside, if anyone local is curious. Besides having a great deli and meat counter, its a good place to car watch.
That tiny little grocery store on the street corner? Last time i was in Woodside was years ago, so maybe things have changed since then. so Robert's has a valet service now?
Old 01-16-2006, 11:44 AM
SDP
Intermediate

While in high school I was a competitive golfer. My home course was a very high-end country club on Long Island (I was not a member, just a high school golfer). I arrive one day for a practice round and there's a big stink going on. SOP is that members are greated at the front door and their car is parked for them. One guy shows up in his new P-400 Miura (one of the all-time greats). The third hole runs along a nice country road. While on the tee with his buddies his beautiful exotic goes screaming by the course. Well, he was none too pleased. I have no idea what happened to the valet, but he was never heard from again. That episode so long ago taught me NEVER to let some kid park my car.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:42 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Ya! and they never did catch me!
Old 01-16-2006, 01:55 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

^ LOL
Old 01-16-2006, 03:05 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

I honestly don't think it matters much--the more you worry about/are **** about your car, the less you will enjoy it, and every scratch, nick, and dent your car will almost inevitably get will drive you nuts. I love cars, especially Porsches, but the only time I wouldn't valet a car is if it was a carburetted car that the youngsters don't know how to drive...

Similar question to "do you park far away from everyone when in parking lots?" I think that the more you try to make your car stand out, the more people want to f*ck it up personally. Seems like an elitist attitude that "my car is too nice for anyone else to touch".

Hey, just my opinion, I could be wrong
Old 01-16-2006, 03:14 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

With regards to parking spots, couldn't agree more. I do NOT park at the back of the lot away from all. What I do instead though is to find an end spot so I can park in a manner to allow clearnance for those monster caddy doors that come swinging open!

Quick Reply: How To Valet - An Etiquette Question