Sponsored by:

996 Throttle Response

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 11:09 AM
LanceK
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 996 Throttle Response

I have been somewhat disappointed in the throttle response of my car.

When shifting gears or blipping the throttle there just seems to be a lot of "lag.

It seems more apparent when blipping the throttle on downshifts. I find myself not having the revs high enough when I let the clutch out. I then finding myself having to push further down on the throttle and therefore having to be more "deliberate" to get a nice match of revs. This also hinders my heel and toeing (which I'm not perfect at by the way) as I feel I have to move and flex my foot more which affects my braking too.

Does anybody have similar experiences or am I in the minority?

TIA
Old 06-07-2003, 11:38 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts
That's the e-gas (throttle by wire) at work - mechanical linkages feel alot better, IMHO
Old 06-07-2003, 12:14 PM
CjN
Intermediate

He's right, its the e-gas. There's no way to correct it im told, eventually you just learn to compensate and blip the throttle a lot deeper when you heel and toe.
Old 06-07-2003, 02:41 PM
slodrivingmike
Instructor

Me too. You need to get a real good blip. Like 6000 rpm at least. It's tough to do at street speeds, because the brake pedal is not depressed as much. I had my accelerator pedal built up. They take an extra pedal and attach it over the original. On top of that I had metal pedals installed. These can be adjusted sideways to move the pedals closer, if that is an issue. It was then easier to get a good blip on the street. However, at the track, the accelerator was too high and I was sometimes getting on both pedals. So now I have the extra accelerator pedal removed at the track. Under heavy braking the pedal positions are just right. This arrangement is nice because it is flexible and can be tuned to your needs.
Regards,
Mike
Old 06-07-2003, 10:40 PM
LanceK
Pro

Thanks for the explanation guys.

I forgot about the throttle by wire and hadn't considered it.

I was under the impression that it was just as "fast" or faster than a regular linkage?

If I remember I think the M3 and maybe the M5 as well, have a switch where you can have the throttle and butterflies on the intake become more sensitive and quicker.

It makes you think why they don't just make it quick. Maybe it would be a little too sensitive for 'round town driving?
Old 06-07-2003, 11:37 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 99 no egas and drove my friends with egas. I actually like the egas better. It seemed to make throttle modulation off the line much more sensitive and better. my 50 cents. Bling Bling hehe
Old 06-08-2003, 12:37 AM
RogerJ
Instructor

I don't think e-gas has anything to do with. It is the heavy flywheel. If you change to a lightweight flywheel it will blip quickly. It may stall a bunch more often as well.
Old 06-08-2003, 08:38 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting - Hadn't thought of the flywheel.

I have driven cars with E-gas type throttles and always find them to be very smooth running, but seeming to suffer from this lack of immediate response.

Quick Reply: 996 Throttle Response