996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

ikea parking lot = break-in

Old 01-03-2006, 02:59 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Riad....there's been problems for years with the microswitch on the windows. Sometimes they'll just go down 1/3 and stay there, then when you hit the switch they'll return to normal. Weird stuff. I had it on my '99 (not on the '04 yet). Replaced microswitch to resolve.
This sometimes happen on my 99'. I just do a quick check now when I park the car just to make sure that the windows dont ghost down by themselves.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:54 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry to hear that man.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:54 PM
zahjah
Advanced

Originally Posted by vove
This sometimes happen on my 99'. I just do a quick check now when I park the car just to make sure that the windows dont ghost down by themselves.

happens once in awhile in my '99 too.....
Old 01-03-2006, 06:00 PM
aben8057
Drifting

sorry for the misfortune.

Newark/Elizabeth area was 1 in the car's stolen list some years ago..I myself was a victim with my CLK430. Never again will I drive and park in any mall or store in that area.

Next time try the IKEA in Paramus...best of luck to you
Old 01-03-2006, 06:18 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's too bad, but I got news for you a Porsche isn't safe anywhere. In college I worked at a very expensive Hotel in the "well to do" Short Hills area of New Jersey and we averaged about one car theft a day! I was told by the security guys that the Mall at Short Hills (across the street from the hotel) had an even worse record.
The guys who break into expensive cars aren't local kids, they do this for a living and go to all the shopping Malls, Hotels and anywhere else where there are expensive cars. And they don't take the bus! They know where urban professionals go and leave their cars for hours. Many don't even bother to lockup and leave valuables in plain sight.

I would get in touch with the Ikea management. That parking lot isn't that big, security was obviously inadequate. The threat of legal action is one they don't want to hear. I had a break-in a self parking garage, they did a real number, not something done in only five minutes. I took polaroids and sent them to the management company who agreed to do the repairs through their insurance and not mine.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:10 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

It seems ridiculous, but little things like blinking alarm indicator lights, remembering to lock the doors, removing the faceplate from the radio, and using something like a club (the new one that's more freon shatter resistant) often discourage thieves enough to ignore YOUR car and steal the one next to it instead. Seems a pretty cheap way to minimize (notice I didn't say eliminate) the odds of your car being taken.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ikea parking lot = break-in