996 TT or 360 Modena

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 11:48 AM
dan996tt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
topdaytrader,

Do you own a 996tt?
You say it cannot be used as a daily driver?

My 996tt is my daily driver and has been for quite some time now. Also, I live in New York! The roads here are horrible and the tt is holding up incredibly.

Don't know where you got your information.
Old 11-25-2002, 02:06 PM
urbanski
Instructor

Well my old 4S WAS a daily driver (same suspension as the TT) and I loved it! I cannot fathom driving to work in anything else.

You said you're not thinking of using either choice for a daily driver, that's fine. But consider the TT as more amenable to daily driving than the 360.
Old 11-25-2002, 04:41 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by topdaytrader:
<strong>...For those who think 996TT can be use as daily driver, must never own one or drive one for more than 30mins on the road. I live in Los Angeles area and there's no way you can use 996TT as daily driver. The ride is just way too harsh for the $hitty fwy in LA...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Anyone who says TT can not be used as a daily driver (especially because it's too harsh!) is a total sissy in my books.

I'm sorry topdaytrader if I'm offending you somehow, but that's just a fact.
Old 11-25-2002, 04:57 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Considering that the 360 is holding, if not appreciating in value,3-4 years down the line it is clearly the best value for the $$.Factor in the
fun factor, and it's a bargain.
Perry

Enjoy. Life is not a dress rehearsal.
Old 11-25-2002, 05:23 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts
[quote] the 360 is holding, if not appreciating in value,3-4 years down the line it is clearly the best value for the $$
<hr></blockquote>
"value" is pretty subjective there....take that TT and throw $15-20K at power & suspension and the result is an incredible 'daily', that's a hoot to drive & makes the 360 look like it's standing still (on the road or on the track).

Now if you are buying it for re-sale (rather than yourself ) the 360 is probably a good investment, and a better choice. Aside from that, appearance, handling, practicality, dependability, are all personal trade-offs you'll have to wrestle with.....Good luck to ya.
Old 11-25-2002, 11:01 PM
NMoore
Racer

Don't kid yourself about a series production Ferrari being a good investment any time soon, unless you are absolutely certain they will screw up the following model somehow.

They cost a lot of money to own, especially if driven frequently. That is not to say the depreciation in percent will be relatively high, I would agree it will most likely be lower than average. But they will keep making them until the demand--always quite limited for mid-engine cars in units worldwide--is satisfied.
Old 11-26-2002, 03:01 AM
Vik
Instructor

[quote]Considering that the 360 is holding, if not appreciating in value,3-4 years down the line it is clearly the best value for the $$.Factor in the fun factor, and it's a bargain.<hr></blockquote>

I respectfully disagree, given that I am seriously looking at a 360 Modena, and have done some research. 360 Modena prices have fallen drastically in the last year. MY99 Coupe six-speeds that used to sell for $155 six months ago have fallen to $125 - $130 will similar price declines across the board. Contributing to the price decline are (1) the overall economy, (2) the flood of European imports, and (3) the larger number of 360's that Ferrari is producing. I don't know what the value will be in three to fours years, but I know the 360 is not holding its value now.

[quote]They cost a lot of money to own, especially if driven frequently. That is not to say the depreciation in percent will be relatively high, I would agree it will most likely be lower than average.<hr></blockquote>

Well said. They do cost a lot to maintain, regardless of how much you drive them. Costs are jacked up simply by virtue of them being an F-Car (eg., $300 oil changes), and if you have to face a timing belt issue, which is a likely scenario every three years...well, you've already heard a poster talk about a $9,000 service charge.

So thinking purely with the head, the 996TT seems to be the more logical, less expensive car to go for. Unfortunately, when it comes to exotics, rarely are decisions made with (just the) head. For me, little compares to the aesthetic appeal and exhaust note of the 360, which is why, I look forward to it being my next car.

I wish you well in your decision-making process, and look forward to you posting pics when you get your new baby -- whichever one that happens to be.

An couple of images that help me plead my case:

and

Regards.
Old 11-26-2002, 09:26 PM
topdaytrader
Banned

[quote]Originally posted by dan996tt:
<strong>topdaytrader,

Do you own a 996tt?
You say it cannot be used as a daily driver?

My 996tt is my daily driver and has been for quite some time now. Also, I live in New York! The roads here are horrible and the tt is holding up incredibly.

Don't know where you got your information.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, I do own a 01 996tt.
If you don't put avg at least 50 miles a day, then you don't qualify saying that you use your 996TT as daily driver.

I never said Turbo can't be use for daily driver. You can even use Murcielago as daily driver if you want. You need to be more mature than that.
Old 11-26-2002, 09:50 PM
maomao911
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts
a 360 Modena for $130k? Can you let me know where you saw those prices? I would appreciate it very much, thanks!
Old 11-26-2002, 09:52 PM
kyopo
Intermediate

[quote]Originally posted by Vik:
<strong>
I respectfully disagree, given that I am seriously looking at a 360 Modena, and have done some research. 360 Modena prices have fallen drastically in the last year. MY99 Coupe six-speeds that used to sell for $155 six months ago have fallen to $125 - $130 will similar price declines across the board. Contributing to the price decline are (1) the overall economy, (2) the flood of European imports, and (3) the larger number of 360's that Ferrari is producing. I don't know what the value will be in three to fours years, but I know the 360 is not holding its value now.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You're right about price declines with respect to 360 coupes, but the 360 spiders are still holding their value. Prices are declining for both, but the demand for spiders is still there. New 360 spiders are selling at $240-250k and new 360 coupes are selling for around $180k. This tells you about the demand for both: people want spiders, not coupes. So it's a good time to get a coupe. I don't think prices will fall much further from here. Euro 360 coupes '00 with 5k miles can be had for as little as $110k already EPA/DOT approved. And given that 355's are still selling for $110k+, I can't imagine prices for 360's dropping *that* much further. Now it becomes a function of how much warranty is left and how many miles the car has. You'll see some US '99 coupes sell for cheap, because A) they're out of warranty now and B) their mileage is close to a service mileage point, ie. ~15k, 30k, etc.

1. The overall economy does suck, but it doesn't really affect people who buy Ferraris. Most are cash buyers and don't finance these cars. I haven't had much trouble selling mine.

2. Any euro 360's after '01 can't be imported into the US anymore and legally converted, so there's no glut of euro imports coming in anymore.

3. I could be wrong, but I thought Ferrari was producing -less- 360's next year.
Old 11-26-2002, 11:33 PM
Deanger
Racer

DAILY DRIVER -- what does it really mean?

To me, it has nothing to do with the ride. I say that because my body can spend all day in my GT2, so for me it qualifies. I know people who can't spend more than 10 minutes in any sportscar -- so for them it doesn't.

Thus it comes down to reliability. I think Porsche has the clear edge here. I don't know too many Ferrari friends who would depend on their car for a commute every day over the course of a year.

[Caveat: Ferraris are getting better and I'm worried P-cars may be slipping. Still think P wins hands down though]
Old 11-27-2002, 02:36 AM
Jim Hodel
Advanced

I saw a silver 996TT today in the same parking lot as a red 360 Modena. I couldn't stop looking at the Ferrari. It is a stunning car.

Price no object, I'd have to go for the Ferrari. I suspect that the Ferrari would be fast enough for me, and a few years from now when new cars are setting ever higher performance standards, the Ferrari will still be a beautiful and sensuous machine.

Jim
Old 11-27-2002, 04:37 AM
dan996tt
Instructor

topdaytrader,

[quote]Originally posted by topdaytrader

there's no way you can use 996TT as daily driver<hr></blockquote>

First of all, daily driver = a car used to commute to and fro everyday, not a car that is driven &gt;50 miles a day.

Second of all, my commute is a total of 100 miles everyday. So by your standard (which I might add is incredibly ridiculous), I more than qualify.

Third of all, NY roads are more harsh than LA roads. The turbo drives flawlessly driven daily.

And last but not least, the Murcielago would not hold up as a daily driver in poor weather conditions and stop and go traffic.
Old 11-27-2002, 04:53 AM
topdaytrader
Banned

[quote]Originally posted by dan996tt:
<strong>topdaytrader,

First of all, daily driver = a car used to commute to and fro everyday, not a car that is driven &gt;50 miles a day.

Second of all, my commute is a total of 100 miles everyday. So by your standard (which I might add is incredibly ridiculous), I more than qualify.

Third of all, NY roads are more harsh than LA roads. The turbo drives flawlessly driven daily.

And last but not least, the Murcielago would not hold up as a daily driver in poor weather conditions and stop and go traffic.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Who cares, get a life. I feel sad that you own a TT and you don't have a beater.
Old 11-27-2002, 04:59 AM
dan996tt
Instructor

topdaytrader,

Have fun selling your Super Xenons!
I guess the only turbo you own is the one in your dreams.

Quick Reply: 996 TT or 360 Modena