996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Header shootout

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 09:22 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

i know. somebody please stop me. i've been pricing suspensions and light weight fly wheels now.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:28 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ Have you considered JIC Cross and or H&R coilovers (they have two specs, the top end being the RSS)? Their pricing seems to be compeditive with Bilstein on the market.

Two other choices are D2 Racing and Tein, who are japanese manufacturers. Tein coilovers are 16way adjustable and offer in-cabin Electionic dampning control, and D2 are 36 way adjustable and height adjustable, but come with pillowball upper mounts and camber plates on the front units. Considering the price, the D2 unit is a very complete package that we should all be considering as an alternative to the PSS9's.

D2 Description from their site and photos:

The RS coilover system is a 36 way dampner and rebound adjustable monotube full coilover system. The setup has seperate height and preload adjustments allowing for optimal adjustment and allowing full strut travel at all times along with pillowball upper mounts or top mounts*. Mounts are constructed of 6061 powder coated aluminum. Threads are teflon coated to prevent rust. Rebuildable and serviceable in the US

I should actually be getting in some LFW's for the 996 Carreras, PM me for pricing.

Last edited by Dale Gribble; 01-01-2006 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:45 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

pm sent.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:34 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

I think Fabspeed and Suncoast should each send Chris a set of headers , we'll do a few dyno runs find out once and for all.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:38 PM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

Originally Posted by LUISJR993
Gary,
Its time for an intervention. Ever since the Deputy got that supercharger he has been addicted to doing additional mods to his car.

Yeah, and still running mismatched tires since they were $50 cheaper
Old 01-01-2006, 10:45 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary (Fl)
Yeah, and still running mismatched tires since they were $50 cheaper
I know
Old 01-01-2006, 11:03 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Uhhh, no.... They were $250 cheaper. Each. That's $500 my friend. Almost enough to do plugs on Gary's car. And they're the same brand by the way. SP8000 in the rear and SP9000 up front. Close enough

Who's Chris? And why would anyone need to send him a set of suncoast headers. I already did the testing on the suncoast headers. I don't have any affiliation with suncoast and I had them installed and dyno'd at an independent shop with nothing to gain. Somebody go out and buy some fabspeeds and dyno them like I did. I'd like to see the results too. As long as the dyno runs were done on the same day and same dyno, that's all you'll need. The accuracy of the numbers don't really matter for comparison, just the gains between the before and after. I still can't believe no one else on here has done any dyno testing on these exhaust systems with what they're charging for this stuff. It's not like it's a $300 part.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:21 PM
dallasboats
Pro

I've noticed suncoast has steadily increased the price of their headers on ebay after your postings here. They should send you a check!

I've been thinking about the lightweight flywheel too................................. What are your thoughts on this part, do you think it would increase hp?
Old 01-01-2006, 11:24 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

^ dallasboats, the lightwightflywheel (LFW) reduces the amount of deadweight (rotating mass) in the drivetrain, thus u loose less power from engine to ground because you're moving a lighted unit. Technically its more like making more efficient use of the power you already have, but it will show with more power being put down to the wheels (a dyno will reflect this). Most LFW's will prettymuch half the weight of a normal flywheel. You will also notice faster devving and deceleration when your off the throttle, it definitly improves the pure driving experience (thats my opinion, don't take it as gospel).

LFW's make a slight chatter when you are at idle with the clutch out. This is the only time they make noise, when you are driving, they will not under accelleration.

Hope this helps, let me know if you are intersted.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:29 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

i'm not sure what's going on with their pricing. It was high, then it dropped. The price drop got me curious so I got a set and now it's up again. I assumed it was some sort of holiday pricing. You're right. I should get a commision I'm sure they've sold a few sets. I know what their cost is on this product and they're not making a ton of money on them.

I've heard good things about the flywheel in our cars. Unfortunatley, people have done it but with no dyno or track testing. I'd be curious to see how much faster it revved on the dyno and if there were any HP gains. One complaint I have heard is that they're fairly noisy. There's a few guys on 6speed with them.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:47 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

there should also be a few guys on here with them (lots of GT3 guys will use the single mass GT3 RS flywheel for instance, or will use the EVOMS LFW).

The best analogy i can draw is to the Mazda RX-8 which comes with a light weight flywheel and driveshaft right from the factory. The car revs very quickly and when you lift off, decelerates quickly too.

So far i've sold and installed a LFW for a Mitsubishi eclipse spider and a Mazda 6. The mitsubishi might have been making a slight chatter, but i couldn't notice it because it had an aftermarket exhaust (top was down on my test drive). On the mazda 6, we installed the factory MAZDASPEED unit and there was no chatter at all.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:45 AM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Uhhh, no.... They were $250 cheaper. Each. That's $500 my friend. Almost enough to do plugs on Gary's car. And they're the same brand by the way. SP8000 in the rear and SP9000 up front. Close enough

Who's Chris? And why would anyone need to send him a set of suncoast headers. I already did the testing on the suncoast headers. I don't have any affiliation with suncoast and I had them installed and dyno'd at an independent shop with nothing to gain. Somebody go out and buy some fabspeeds and dyno them like I did. I'd like to see the results too. As long as the dyno runs were done on the same day and same dyno, that's all you'll need. The accuracy of the numbers don't really matter for comparison, just the gains between the before and after. I still can't believe no one else on here has done any dyno testing on these exhaust systems with what they're charging for this stuff. It's not like it's a $300 part.
Hmmm... 500... That's a drop in the bucket fro a "balla" like you with a 42" in the "crib's" kitchen....

and if I was going to buy the headers for my C2, I would want to see the results first hand on a dyno with a non SC'd car... I know they have the dyno charts on their site, but so does every other company selling them... We really have NO way to know if a non SC'd car will get the same results unless it is dyno'd like you did.. Before and after in person...

Hmm, so let me get this straight... Your looking for a new suspension for better handling... Spending more money on purchase and installation, but your tires are close enough.. My friend.. I can't agree with you on that one.. When your view was, my springs are fine and the tires don't matter since I don't track, I could agree with you.. But if your looking for suspension to set your car up better, then I would say the rubber does matter... (You may want to put the extra set of mismatched rubber you have in my climate controled storage unit instead of the 100+ degree garage... It's free to )

And you better be careful with the lightweight fW and clutch... The next time your wife takes it down to the store to pick up some groceries she will be hating it worse than she does the 42" once you do the clutch and FW..

Last edited by Gary (Fl); 01-02-2006 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:00 AM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary (Fl)
Hmmm... 500... That's a drop in the bucket fro a "balla" like you with a 42" in the "crib's" kitchen....

and if I was going to buy the headers for my C2, I would want to see the results first hand on a dyno with a non SC'd car... I know they have the dyno charts on their site, but so does every other company selling them... We really have NO way to know if a non SC'd car will get the same results unless it is dyno'd like you did.. Before and after in person...

Hmm, so let me get this straight... Your looking for a new suspension for better handling... Spending more money on purchase and installation, but your tires are close enough.. My friend.. I can't agree with you on that one.. When your view was, my springs are fine and the tires don't matter since I don't track, I could agree with you.. But if your looking for suspension to set your car up better, then I would say the rubber does matter...

And you better be careful with the lightweight fW and clutch... The next time your wife takes it down to the store to pick up some groceries she will be hating it worse than she does the 42" once you do the clutch and FW..
This is true. I think that once DD gets his coilovers and does 1 track event he will be getting some new tires. When you do the LWF you will of course change the clutch for something a little bit sportier. (Drive a car with this set up 1st. How often does the wife drive the 911 anyways?) Finally, get some better brake pads on that thing!
Old 01-02-2006, 11:01 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

I would normally tend to agree with you on "it needs to be dyno'd on an NA car" point, but.... when I spoke to the distributor i asked him what he got on his car (which is NA). he said around 28 in the middle and 11 on top. unless he was using his magic 8 ball on the phone, I'd say my supercharger had no effect on the results as I ended up with exactly the same as he did. i'm sure it wasn't a coincidence.

my springs used to fine. now they ride like crap. i have used just springs on previous cars with no problems. i didn't get so lucky this time. i told you when my rears wear out, i'll order a set of ps2's. all the way around my front tires were still in great shape and I couldn't find the matching rears. not sure if they were dicontinued or what. i didn't want to throw away two front tires with 80 pecent tread to get matching rears. they're the same brand, just slightly different models (9000 and 8000). how different can they be? right now it's my suspension that's the culprit though. it's very nerve racking when the car is bobbing through a corner at high speed.

i'm not talking about a stage 4 clutch, just something a little stronger with a LWF. she won't hear the LWF chatter over the headers anyway it is my understanding if you buy the right one there aren't any stalling issues, etc...
Old 01-02-2006, 11:03 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

By the way, Luis is banned from driving my car any more. I finally went out and cleaned it the other day. I sprayed the wheels with the hose and I had a black river running down the driveway. I've never seen that before and I attribute it to Luis Andretti heal/toeing it over by Gary's house

Quick Reply: Header shootout