Subwoofers

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 09:32 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by RJFabCab
That box won't fit in the cab as pictured. No space behind the rear seats. It's all pop-up rollover protection and top.

Did Porsche offer a subwoofer solution for their cabs? I'm really not too keen to change the configuration of the rear seats or rear footwells since I do quite often 'squeeze' people in there.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:46 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I think Kilrgt is on to something with this setup. That is the best idea for a sub enclosure yet. Now you need to add another

Seriously. The back seat is useless. Nobody sits back there. I have the seatbacks folded down 99 percent of the time anyway to use that space as a cargo shelf. That is a great way of taking advantage of unused space and still maintaining some store functionality. Not to mention you could easily make an enclosure for a 10 or 12 sub in there.

Now Kilrgt: What is that sub box made of? wood or fiberglasss?
Old 12-31-2005, 11:48 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nycebo

Did Porsche offer a subwoofer solution for their cabs? I'm really not too keen to change the configuration of the rear seats or rear footwells since I do quite often 'squeeze' people in there.
You actually put people back there? Are you some sort of sadist?

My car has a factory sub in the front passenger footwell. It sounds okay, at best. Certainly not what I'm looking for.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:51 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Kilrgt: After looking at it again, it's definately wood. How heavy is it and can you take it out?
What are the specs on your system?
Old 12-31-2005, 01:05 PM
a911driver
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With my setup (rear footwells), you can easily remove one or both and put one in the trunk. It just lifts out. It is formed to tuck under the rear seat cushion so it stays put. Given its a sub, you only really need one. Also, these are super high quality subs. They sound excellent and well balanced.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:25 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

911driver: i've seen your setup on rod's site. i haven't heard them, but the subs are a little small for my taste. you really need a bigger enclosure and driver to get hard hitting bass. but then again, it's all in what you're expecting from a system and what kind of music you listen to. what kind of subs did he put in your enclosure? i can tell you that i definately would need two subs. especially in a cab. one 8" sub would never fly for me. i do like rod's execution for the install. those fiberglass enclosures look very nice. i've had a lot of systems in a lot of different cars. my favorite so far was my GTI with two 12" orion subs. I had around 500 watts RMS going to each sub. It was awesome. You could feel your hair moving when the bass hit
Old 12-31-2005, 01:48 PM
a911driver
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
911driver: i've seen your setup on rod's site. i haven't heard them, but the subs are a little small for my taste. you really need a bigger enclosure and driver to get hard hitting bass. but then again, it's all in what you're expecting from a system and what kind of music you listen to. what kind of subs did he put in your enclosure? i can tell you that i definately would need two subs. especially in a cab. one 8" sub would never fly for me. i do like rod's execution for the install. those fiberglass enclosures look very nice. i've had a lot of systems in a lot of different cars. my favorite so far was my GTI with two 12" orion subs. I had around 500 watts RMS going to each sub. It was awesome. You could feel your hair moving when the bass hit
My car was the first for which Rod built the custom enclosures. He had just hired a really skilled guy to do the fiberglass work and I spent the day with them in the shop watching. Rod uses my car for his site pic and his Excellence mag ads (which I pointed out to my wife and she said - oh, that's what you were doing that day!)

The subs are Earthquake 8” and I will go check the amp when I get down to the garage. They won't roll in Oakland, but they sound very balanced, deep and precise. I listen to everything (roaming XM - recognize not the greatest source quality).
The specs on the subs seem to be -
8" cast subwoofer
Dual voice coil 2 x 4-ohm
2" voice coil, aluminum bobin
RMS. Power 300 Watts
45 Oz double stacked magnet
Old 12-31-2005, 03:30 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Are they actually conscious when you put them back there? If they are, they must be BLOND and don't know any better!
Old 12-31-2005, 04:19 PM
RobynC
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gota911
Are they actually conscious when you put them back there? If they are, they must be BLOND and don't know any better!
Despite popular belief...some BLONDs know what they are doing.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:37 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

In Bose equipped 996 Cabriolets, the subwoofer is actually along side the passenger side console/footwell. There was simply no other place available by PAG to put the subwoofer.
This is why, when equipped with the Bose option, the floor mats/carpets for a cab are different than those for a coupe .

I suppose you could purchase this assembly from Sunset Imports (cost + 15%) and meet your stated criteria of not modifying the rear seats or rear footwells.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:13 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
You actually put people back there? Are you some sort of sadist?

My car has a factory sub in the front passenger footwell. It sounds okay, at best. Certainly not what I'm looking for.
Will these guys fit back there? They like bass.
Attached Images  
Old 12-31-2005, 08:26 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

I'm not even sure an Ewok would be comfortable back there Nice pic.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:05 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RobynC
Despite popular belief...some BLONDs know what they are doing.
Wow. Robyn, you're TT in the sig is looking sweet.

Cheers
Old 01-02-2006, 03:03 AM
RobynC
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RJFabCab
Wow. Robyn, you're TT in the sig is looking sweet.

Cheers

Thanks RJ, she's coming along. Since the sig pic, PSI 480 and a set of HREs. Take me off the bbq, I'm done.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:15 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard about a subwoofer in the spare tire....does any body have an image of this??

Quick Reply: Subwoofers