Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Does every cracker in a Subaru want to race you?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 02:53 PM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Does every cracker in a Subaru want to race you?

I was driving to work on the freeway in the fast lane (going 65 mph) and passed a subaru wrx with an Eminem clone driving. Well the dumbass flies up next to me and I slow down because I need to get in the right lane to get off on the next exit. He slows down too and then accelerates a little, slows down, accelerates a little, etc. I blast my horn and have to slam on my brakes to get over into his lane to make the offramp for the exit in time. This has happened to me twice now.

What is up with these ****heads?

Do they feel the need to act like a complete dick around everyone who drives a Porsche or is it just me. I have to admit, I never had this problem in my Camry!
Old 12-22-2005, 02:58 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Subis race me all the time and they always win. I suspect that they go on Subi web sites saying they blew off a GT3. I don't race on the street. period. besides by ignoring them I think I give them the impression that it isn't worth my time to race a WRX.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:06 PM
BlackCab996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dmac - great topic! And yes - I have Subaru WRXs and Mitsubishi EVOs flying by me all the time here in Los Angeles - they also normally have a coffee can exhaust as well. I won't race them on the street either. I actually like the fact that they will draw police attention before I will and then I can still move quickly down the road without notice.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:20 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, and I did bite once. The 996 was faster, but not much though and this was a supped up WRX, definitely not stock.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:23 PM
Mitty
Racer

I will sometimes play with them at a red light and speed up to the speed limit and slow down. They like that they "won". Then I will look over and give them a "hang loose". That usually gives them an ear to ear grin. Face it, they will trade in their ricer for a Porsche someday and join our board. God help us...
Old 12-22-2005, 03:35 PM
dmac
Rennlist Member

I know these cars (Subaru WRX-Sti and the Mitsubishi Evo) are a great value for their level of performance and I'm almost sure they would out perform my stock 02' C4 cab on a freeway run.

I guess I am getting old (36 y.o.) and didn't street race when I was younger so I find this whole new experience unwanted and unpleasant. I hate to generalize, but I see many corvettes on the road and none of those drivers feel the need to flip on the idiot switch whenever I drive by.

This is a litle of topic, but I just talked to a friend in San Diego and there is a diesel truck there that frequents the track and runs the 1/4 mile in the 11's. Now I would love to race these idiots in something like that where I could race them and beat their ***, run over them and then tow their heap of crap to the dump while blasting some obnoxious country song as loud as my eardrums can handle it. Sounds like this would make a good episode of "Pinks" on the speed channel.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:37 PM
dp35
Pro

I haven't experienced this with Subies or Evo's so far, but Mustangs all the time. These guys are complete idiots! Whenever I drive a little fast on the street, the Porsche seems to lure aggresive Mustang drivers out of nowhere, while my Toyota pickup goes unnoticed in similar situations.

Last week for example, as I approached a red light it turned green. With my lane open I past a new Mustang that was waiting at the light. I thought to myself, watch, this guy will floor it and make a fool of himself. Sure enough, he didn't disapoint. Just after I passed him, his modified exhaust and air filter roared. A few seconds later he flew past me doing around 80 in a 45 zone. I never hit wide open throttle or broke the speed limit during this "race", but I'm sure the Mustang driver was very proud of himself for beating a Porsche.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:37 PM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mitty
I will sometimes play with them at a red light and speed up to the speed limit and slow down. They like that they "won". Then I will look over and give them a "hang loose". That usually gives them an ear to ear grin. Face it, they will trade in their ricer for a Porsche someday and join our board. God help us...

You must take your ride to Oregon City. I lived in Lake Oswego for about 7 years before moving here.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:16 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

I owned a WRX for a few years before I recently traded it in for my current 99 C2 coupe.

Those are certainly quick cars and surprisingly capable- but not in the same league. I can imagine an STi or an EVO *might* (with a good driver) beat me from 0-60 or something, but on the highway it's another story. On the highway, my car - which is stock - is simply in another league and I can't imagine an STi even being close to me if I really wanted to go jail speeds on the highway.

A stock WRX's 4th and 5th gears are BOTH overdrive gears and over 85mph or so they are simply dogs. An STI has 6 gears, but over 100mph it is a dog. Those cars may as well have parachutes dragging behind them on the highway.

At any rate- I don't bother trying to race them. In my WRX, I used to hope that Porsches and other fast cars would race me, just so I could see them run, but I and every other WRX owner knew that Porsches aren't for drag racing.

Any rice rocket owner knows that at the end of the day, even if he beats you in some little drag race, he is still in a subaru or honda - and you are still in your beautiful Porsche!
Old 12-22-2005, 04:53 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

that would be a YUP!
Old 12-22-2005, 05:00 PM
dnitake
Racer

This is probably very unfair of a story to relate to the EVO or Subaru ( hard to tell apart sometimes ). I was at a West Coast track and the first run of the AM, I was passed by one of these cars quite handily. I'm sure he felt pretty good about this since he was working on me for a bit. Kinda fast to be running on a cold track I thought, but very impressive nonetheless. A couple of laps later, said car was adorning a concrete wall on a spinout. A bit off topic, since I don't think this was a lot of Ahole factor here. Just a case of an inexperienced yahoo in a very capable (but not THAT capable wrt a Porsche) car.
The run group was pulled in for a "talking" to since the Black flag came out. I give the driver a lot of points for coming in an apologizing to us.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:04 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Corvette drivers barely look up. Their necks are weighted down with the gold chains...

(How's that for a stereotype?)
Old 12-22-2005, 05:46 PM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nutbeem
Corvette drivers barely look up. Their necks are weighted down with the gold chains...

I'm Italian and have a hairy chest, so I would fit right in.

Actually, my next car will probably be a corvette. I plan wait about 3 years and pick up a used C6Z06 as a dedicated track car. As much as I would like to get a 997TT, I just couldn't swing it as a track toy (yes, I am a poser because I haven't raced yet, but I have big plans-if I can only get my wife on-board with my future track plans) .
Old 12-22-2005, 06:29 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nutbeem

LOL! Hey I'm a corvette driver (owned 3) looking for a 996. Any corvette driver I ever met was fat and old. I'm younger (35) and skinny. LOL!
Old 12-22-2005, 07:25 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver
LOL! Hey I'm a corvette driver (owned 3) looking for a 996. Any corvette driver I ever met was fat and old. I'm younger (35) and skinny. LOL!

Haha - you are certainly in the minority, my friend! There's a guy that works in the building next to mine that drives an '03 Z06 with full exhaust kit (sounds badass), but the guy's gotta be 350 if he's an ounce, and pushing 50. (Not that there's anything wrong with pushing 50, I'll be there soon enough)

Although she indulges my Porsche habit 'cause I'm a great guy (that's what I tell myself, anyway), my wife is so tweaked on the stereotype that she's made me PROMISE to never drive a Corvette.

I think it has something to do with her dad buying a Z28 at 45 and going full mid-life, but I could be wrong.

Subies want to race because they're mostly 25 or younger, no kids, and a live forever mentality. Wait 'till they hit 36 with 3 kids, mortgage and a career - see how many races they'll be looking for then.

Quick Reply: Does every cracker in a Subaru want to race you?