Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

OBD II Readers: Any Sponsors Sell Them? Who wants one?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 05:48 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they are SOOOOOO wrong! the CAN bus protocol is used from 2000+ on the bosch motronic. maybe they are referring to CAN protocol using the OBDII interface but i KNOW FOR A FACT that 2000+ model year cars use the CAN protocol. the data logger i just bought SUPPORTS CAN. you have to tap into 2 wires coming out of the ecu and supposedly there are a couple of wires from behind the instrument panel too. i have a feeling AE is talking about an OBDII interface.

CAN is a tough code to crack and bosch is usually tight lipped about it. i can understand why AE say they are not enabled becasue they haven't carcked the code. they should have said their systems are not CAN enabled NOT our cars.

check this out. this an ECU wiring diagram for a MY99, (courtesy loren). it shows CAN - and CAN +. for a '99 it terminated to tipronic (if you have it) and if you have a manual you can tap into the pinouts. i'm just trying to show you that AE is not 100% truthful.

Originally Posted by deputydog95
AE (autoengenuity) said that are cars are not CAN enabled. they said only the porsches that are CAN enabled right now that they are aware of are the Cayennes, and they think only the turbo. we have the option to get either type, it's just an extra $30 for the CAN enabled one. They don't list the non CAN one on their site, as they're only offering it to people that specifically need it. I guess a lot of their business are mechanics and tuning shops and they use it on a lot of different cars so they need the CAN version. He said we don't, but again, for $199 you can get the CAN version and use it on whatever vehicle you like. The $169 version will only work on our cars and others that are not CAN equipped.

can anybody out there confirm either way if we need the CAN version or not? i am not sure and am only going off what AE told me. it'll still be $50 off if we need to get the CAN version as the regular price is $249. and if that's the case then we might as well go with vividracing's offer of $199 if it's still on the table.
Attached Images  
Old 12-30-2005, 07:35 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I did some more research. We don't need the CAN software according to the motorsports guy at my dealer. I think I may get it though as it might be nice to use on other's people's cars if a problem should come up. It's only thirty more dollars and still 50 dollars less than retail.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:13 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Count me in on the group buy.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:09 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the group buy still going. What is the deal for the ppc one? I have a mini usb on my phone windows mobile 5 is this supported?
Old 12-31-2005, 12:18 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Yes, I am going to call on Monday and request that they open the buy up on Weds and Thursday, with it ending on Friday morning.

You'll have to contact them directly for tech questions. By the way, FWIW, I think I am going to get the CAN enabled one for the extra $30. Never know what kind of cars we, or our friends may have down the road. I think it's worth the extra few bucks and we're still saving $50.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:30 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Was Vivid's deal also $199? I am NOT interested in the non-CAN version since I thought this was the full deal $249 version. We recently got a new Lexus, and I don't know what that has but it is a Toyota. We will also be replacing our other car in about 2 years which would make it a 2008 which would have CAN. I think we can get more interest with the CAN version and wait a few more days since I previously blew this thread off once I found it was only for the non-CAN version.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:37 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by arenared
Was Vivid's deal also $199? I am NOT interested in the non-CAN version since I thought this was the full deal $249 version. We recently got a new Lexus, and I don't know what that has but it is a Toyota. We will also be replacing our other car in about 2 years which would make it a 2008 which would have CAN. I think we can get more interest with the CAN version and wait a few more days since I previously blew this thread off once I found it was only for the non-CAN version.
i said a few posts back that you could get either version, 169 for non can and 199 for the can. some people only want the non can version and have no interest in using it on other cars.

yes, vivid was selling for 199 for the can version. i posted to see if they were interested in doing the 199 still since they are a sponsor here, and they never responded. i assume they are not interested anymore.

all you will have to do is call in to AE on weds or thurs to get the special pricing.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:40 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by karlooz
they are SOOOOOO wrong! the CAN bus protocol is used from 2000+ on the bosch motronic. maybe they are referring to CAN protocol using the OBDII interface but i KNOW FOR A FACT that 2000+ model year cars use the CAN protocol. the data logger i just bought SUPPORTS CAN. you have to tap into 2 wires coming out of the ecu and supposedly there are a couple of wires from behind the instrument panel too. i have a feeling AE is talking about an OBDII interface.

CAN is a tough code to crack and bosch is usually tight lipped about it. i can understand why AE say they are not enabled becasue they haven't carcked the code. they should have said their systems are not CAN enabled NOT our cars.

check this out. this an ECU wiring diagram for a MY99, (courtesy loren). it shows CAN - and CAN +. for a '99 it terminated to tipronic (if you have it) and if you have a manual you can tap into the pinouts. i'm just trying to show you that AE is not 100% truthful.

AE's software can read the CAN interface. My dealer told me that even though our cars do have some CAN interfaces, it is only for a few items and that most of the sensors are not on the CAN system.

Whereas the Cayennes and possibly the 997's are full CAN systems.

Again, the CAN version of the software is available for $50 off. and the non CAN is $80.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:26 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

I'm in, I was going to purchase a Gtech timer for around this price so I might as well get 2 for 1. I do also want to be able to use it in my ML, do I need CAN for that? Also, do I need to have the laptop in the car to record speed or can I plug it in when I'm done to download?

Welcome, or Aloha

Cool. We have more than enough at this point. I have a couple more from the "other" board as well.

Updated list:

Deputydog95
Big6dad
Gary(FL)
Nycebo
Puako

I'm still shooting for opening the buy up on Weds AM and having it end on friday morning so they can ship on Friday.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:52 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

what's an ML and i have no idea if it has CAN or not ?

yes, you'll need to have the laptop in the car to data log.

this should actually be more accurate than the getch as it's plugged directly into the car.

i would contact AE directly for any tech questions regarding your "ML". i'm wracking my brain and i still can't figure out what kind of car that is.

i will post later when the window will open on this purchase.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:32 AM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

what's an ML and i have no idea if it has CAN or not ? i'm wracking my brain and i still can't figure out what kind of car that is.
Dude you fried your brain on NYE...... ML... Maybe that's made by MB...
Old 01-02-2006, 11:11 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

so was it a typo or is there a ML mercedes?
Old 01-02-2006, 11:25 AM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

so was it a typo or is there a ML mercedes?
OMG.... ML = MB SUV..... ML350 for example...
Old 01-02-2006, 12:00 PM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

guys, i'm out of this group buy (got a OBDII scanner for xmas)

169 is a great price!!
Old 01-02-2006, 12:20 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

ML=Mercedes SUV.. Sorry..

So I guess I'll have the wire running from the port down the left of the car with the laptop behind my seat?

what's an ML and i have no idea if it has CAN or not ?

yes, you'll need to have the laptop in the car to data log.

this should actually be more accurate than the getch as it's plugged directly into the car.

i would contact AE directly for any tech questions regarding your "ML". i'm wracking my brain and i still can't figure out what kind of car that is.

i will post later when the window will open on this purchase.

Quick Reply: OBD II Readers: Any Sponsors Sell Them? Who wants one?