Sponsored by:

Fabspeed exhaust install update

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2002, 03:49 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts
Post Fabspeed exhaust install update

Hi there and good day to all!! Hope the holidays went well!!! I just had my '99 996 coupe retrofitted with the Fabspeed exhaust just before xmas. It was professionally installed. Comments from my mechanic is it was PITA to install. It wasn't an easy bolt-on as suggested as it would not fit in the original housing where the oem muffler was(would bang against the outer interior flare) because the pipes were too long so my mechanic had to trim the pipes a bit to make it fit. Another thing was centering the exhaust tips which i used the oem stainless tips that was quite difficult to do as well but after 3-4 times it finally got centered. It took about 5 hrs and $500 to install the exhaust. Now from a sound standpoint- I love the sound-very throaty at throttle and a low rumble at idle. Only bad thing is i posted before- my wife says its way too loud and was almost decided to remove it and replace with the porsche sport sound exhaust but after awhile decided to keep it for now since the sound is addicting and its my car : ). My mechanic loved the sound as well but installing it was a b...ch!! Instuctions could have been more detailed like pictures ie B&M shifter instruction manual but if one is mechanically inclined which i am not u should be able to do it yourself plus a friend especially trying to center the tips. I emailed Joe about the centering of the tips but never emailed back-he must be busy and all.Other things to note if u decide to do the fabspeed is there will be a funny smell for awhile and u may here irregularites in sound thruout the rpm range but that will smooth out over time. Also the ecu takes time to adapt to the new exhaust either u cut off the battery and ecu will reset or drive it for 150 miles and it will adjust(havent driven 150 yet-taken advice from Mark-one of the rennlist members) All in all if i would do this again i probably would since overall result is what i expected. I also had the RUF pedals installed the same time which are very nice looking. Regards. Mike
Old 01-04-2002, 04:40 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Judging from my experience and stories from others that have installed their own Fabspeed cat-backs I think I would be questioning the honesty of your mechanic. I can't image how you could spend more than 2 hours on the installation.
Old 01-04-2002, 06:55 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

I wish it only took 2 hours save myself labor cost : ). But he's been doing other mods as well like B&M shifter(took 2 hrs) and the RUF pedals(did same time as exhaust no charge)so i thought maybe 2-3 hrs but i was wrong. He was referred by a friend(911 turbo '87) of mine so other then this exhaust other mods done were fine and the end result eveything was to my satisfaction. I be pissed if i paid that much and didnt meet my expectations. regards. mike
Old 01-04-2002, 08:20 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts
Hi Mike
The time required for Fabspeed Maxflo 996 exhaust installation is 1hr to 1 1/2 hours maximum process. The exhaust systems is held onto the car by only 5 nuts/bolts and is 100% simple to install its a no brainer. We are the only tuner in the world that even includes simple detailed instructions also.

The Fabspeed or factory Porcshe TechEquipment chrome tips are fully adjustable on the ball & socket Vband type clamp Porsche supplied & installers reuse for the 996 tips.

There is no reason whatsoever as far as a design issue that it could have taken that long to install other than money motivation.
Perhaps he was loyal to some other brand or was having a bad day.
The longest time consumed for an exhaust system installation for any of the follwoing cars like the 964/993/Boxster/996TT/GT2 is simply taken by having to let the cars exhaust system cool down when its arrives hot from driving. When a 996 like yours is cool the installation takes about 45minutes with a lift or 1 hour if you are on your back.
Sorry to hear about the overcharging. Perhaps there is someone else available. There are close to 1000 Fabspeed 996 Maxflo systems out there on the Road & Track world wide. Anyway have fun.
joe Fab Fabspeed Motorsport
www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist
Old 01-04-2002, 11:49 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Thanks Joe. Other then the install thing i'm extremely happy of the result and enjoying it. Great sound and great product. Thanks. Mike

Quick Reply: Fabspeed exhaust install update