Sponsored by:

Car carrier for a 996

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 08:26 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car carrier for a 996

I was hoping to rent a truck and tow my car on a car carrier of some sort. Every rental company I check out online says that they don't have a carrier that will work with my 996. Am I out of luck? Does anyone know of something that will work aside from having it shipped in a truck? I guess I'll drive it if I have to, but this will be in February and I'll be going from Los Angeles to Toronto. Not the best time of year to be driving a rear wheel drive sports car with summer tires.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:12 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Did you try the UHaul website? They have a flatbed car transport that attached to their rental trucks.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:49 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LVDell
Did you try the UHaul website? They have a flatbed car transport that attaches to their rental trucks.
Yeah, but I really want to avoid using U-Haul if at all possible. I'll call Ryder tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Thanks!
Old 12-19-2005, 12:24 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

A std tandem axel open car trailer will easily handle a 996, even lowered. You just have to get it and try it out. I've trailered many a race car on these type trailers which sat much lower than any 996, zero problems.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:27 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try budget, penske also.

Uhaul sucks big time. They always overbook their trucks. There is nothing more stressful than going there without a truck available on the morning of a move. Plus, they charge you a deposit....
Old 12-19-2005, 12:44 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys. Sounds like this is definitely doable. I'm going to call Penske tomorrow.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:57 PM
porsche-t
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to Penske. I moved from Los Angeles to San Antonio and the rates were cheaper than U-Haul. Make sure you get an auto carrier with four good tires on it ( mine had two new ones on one side and two ???? on the other). I blew one of the old tires on the right side and the road service came out and replaced it. I then drove to a tire shop and had the last questionable one replaced and Penske paid for it.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:59 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by porsche-t
Make sure you get an auto carrier with four good tires on it ( mine had two new ones on one side and two ???? on the other). I blew one tire on the right side and the road service came out ans replaced it. I then drove to a tire shop and had the last questionalbe replaced and Penske paid for it.
Did you need to have the car on the carrier with the rear end first for proper weight distribution?
Old 12-19-2005, 08:02 PM
porsche-t
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

No, the car is so short that I didn't matter. You will have to use a couple of blocks to get it on the carrier if you are too low. If you go to Penske, drive your car to the rental lot and check the carrier.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:03 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by porsche-t
If you go to Penske, drive your car to the rental lot and check the carrier.
I phoned Penske and they told me that their carrier won't work with my car. So it looks like U-Haul or nothing...
Old 12-21-2005, 02:09 AM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 131 Posts

I've used a u-haul trailer for my 2000 c2 twice with no problems.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:31 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought a trailer when I moved from Dallas to LA thinking I'd get plenty of use out of the trailer hauling my car back and forth to the track. I figured buying a trailer and hauling my 996 to LA with my wife's SUV would cost the same as having both vehicles shipped, so why not have an asset at the end of the move?

My car is 100% stock, so I don't NEED trailer. I over-estimated the distance to the track from my house and over-estimated the convenience of towing my car. Bottom line, I used the trailer once (when I drove from Dallas to LA over the summer) and haven't really used it since.

If you're not able to rent a trailer at a resonable rate (I'm assuming you need RT transportation) and you're in the market for a slightly used trailer, let me know. My trailer has a spare tire and a rock guard on the front. I'll let it go for the low $2k's.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:36 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Thanks, but now I'm thinking that it will cheaper and easier if I just have my stuff shipped and drive my car.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:48 AM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

and more fun!

but i'm curious as to why they say their trailers won't 'work' with your car...

i struggled with finding a moving truck a while back and found that (i believe it was budget) budget knows where their trucks are just like a 'normal' rental car company. the other companies couldn't guarantee that the style/length of truck that i needed would be there until i walked up to their counter. not good for planning purposes. budget said i could count on the truck that i needed would be there. they were right.

but...i'm still curious why the trailer won't work with 996s...
Old 12-22-2005, 10:10 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by washington951
but...i'm still curious why the trailer won't work with 996s...
Yeah, me too. Maybe it's the distribution of weight with it being a rear engine. Regardless, nobody (Budget and Penske included) will let you cross the border except for U-Haul.

I've definitely decided to use a moving company now. I only hope they get my stuff there in under 30 days...

Quick Reply: Car carrier for a 996