996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Dead Battery....Doors locked....HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 01:17 PM
Chrisp3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Battery....Doors locked....HELP!

Went out to start the gargae queeen yesterday a.m. after about 3 weeks of sitting idle and my battery is dead. No problem....I'll just pop the boot and put the charger on...right? Unfortunately the boot is locked as is the passenger side door becuase I actually locked the car in my own garage.

I have tried recharging the dead battery via the cigarette lighter with a a trickle charger attached to a standard gigarette plug (+ to the center conductor and - to the outside conductor) but still cannot unlock the door or the trunk. I am inclined to attach a 12vdc 3 amp power supply to the cigarette adapter and see if that will give me enough power to open it up but I don't know if this will damage the car.

Anybody got any odeas of how I can get the trunk area opened so that I can replace the battery?
Old 12-18-2005, 02:32 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What year is your car?
Old 12-18-2005, 02:41 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Check here:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...opic=2751&st=0 or

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2151
Old 12-18-2005, 03:20 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

If you look on the left rear side of your car underneath, up behind the muffler, you should see a small wire rope looped out through a hole below the tail light. If you can find that wire rope, pull on the inboard side and you will pop the engine lid. From there you can attach a jumper cable or larger charger to get the electrics going again.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:09 PM
BlackCab996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Assuming it's a 996, you have jumper cable mounts (if that's the proper term) in the engine compartment. I had the same problem but a cigarette lighter charger wouldn't charge the car enough. Buy the Porsche battery maintainer after you get it running again and this will never happen again...
Old 12-19-2005, 04:15 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Orient Express
If you look on the left rear side of your car underneath, up behind the muffler, you should see a small wire rope looped out through a hole below the tail light. If you can find that wire rope, pull on the inboard side and you will pop the engine lid. From there you can attach a jumper cable or larger charger to get the electrics going again.
So that's what it's for?! When I was replacing the left rear reverse-light bulb a while back, I noticed a looped-out rope coming out of the taillight cluster area and thought it was rather odd. Learn something new everyday!
Old 12-19-2005, 08:06 PM
porsche-t
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Just attached a battery charger to the posts in the engine compartment where you jump the battery. this will give you enough juice to open the trunk (happened to me last Friday).

Quick Reply: Dead Battery....Doors locked....HELP!