996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Title question on C4S sale...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 12:29 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Dell is spot on. I am getting a little nervous for you. The best thing that you can do is speak to a dealership that you trust in order to get some more unbiased information on what exactly THEY would need if you wanted to do the same thing and then just compare it to what the seller is asking of you. Indeed, if you really wanted to be accurate, call up a Porsche dealership in Pennsylvania. Brandywine is there and they are good people. I am sure they could advise you. Good luck and enjoy your car when it arrives.

Oh yeah...so as to beat Dell, Evo, Surgeon, and DJ to the bunch: Pics and mods next, baby!!!
Old 12-21-2005, 01:25 AM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the concern, I'm actually not worried. I'll have the car, I have the title, not much can go wrong. At this point it's like a carwreck for the guy though, I'll keep you posted.

The mods will start in a hurry, no worries - when the car gets here I have to write out another check for 5 grand just for tax and registration. I could try to drive it with Pennsylvania plates for a few months and go wheels and exhaust first, but you know...
Old 12-21-2005, 02:38 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to title it within a month after the purchase in CA. It's mentioned on DMV's site. If you don't, you will pay extra taxes later. You don't need any bill of sales or odometer paperwork. Just bring the car to DMV and they'll inspect the VIN, odometer and the smog certificate.

The seller is getting desperate and his dealer is feeding his with lies. It's better to ignore him until you the the car and title it first.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:24 AM
BlackCab996
Rennlist Member

Nutbeem - I'm worried that you're being too nice and this story will have some type of unhappy ending - why is this guy so hell bent on saving a couple grand in taxes when he got more for the car from you than he would on a dealer trade in?? If I were him, I'd say, oh well, I screwed up, but I sold my car, and I don't want to drag someone else into a mess....
Old 12-21-2005, 07:49 AM
searching4996
Racer

Originally Posted by BlackCab996
Nutbeem - I'm worried that you're being too nice and this story will have some type of unhappy ending - why is this guy so hell bent on saving a couple grand in taxes when he got more for the car from you than he would on a dealer trade in?? If I were him, I'd say, oh well, I screwed up, but I sold my car, and I don't want to drag someone else into a mess....

I think the prior seller is so hell bent on saving a few grand in taxes because it's a few grand...and it's taxes. People drive an hour each way in Pennsylvania to save $40 in sales tax by buying in delaware. I really don't think this fellow is out to scam you, he was just disorganized in his car buying plans and it's now backfiring on him.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:28 PM
BlackCab996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by searching4996
I think the prior seller is so hell bent on saving a few grand in taxes because it's a few grand...and it's taxes. People drive an hour each way in Pennsylvania to save $40 in sales tax by buying in delaware. I really don't think this fellow is out to scam you, he was just disorganized in his car buying plans and it's now backfiring on him.

I agree, but...I've made mistakes that cost me a little money - and I've made decisions that have made me money. In a case like this, if I were the seller, I would just cut my losses and not inconvenience or worry a stranger if I sensed that he was uncomfortable for any reason. The issues of a "new dealer" and other parts of this story don't completely add up to me, but perhaps I'm missing something. I hope the story does have a happy ending - Nutbeem: we wish you well and look forward to hearing the outcome, but most importantly look forward to hearing about how you like your "new" car and seeing pics...
Old 12-21-2005, 01:44 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

UPDATE - Got an e-mail this morning, he went out and bought a new M3 last night, and all is well. Who knows what he worked out with the dealer, but he seems to have agreed with our logic - maybe he read the posts? LOL

Thanks again everyone, and I'll post pics'a'plenty when the car gets here.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:56 PM
BlackCab996
Rennlist Member

Never trust a guy who chooses an M3 over a 996 - ha ha...

Just kidding if any of you own one...the M3 is a great car, just different, but I think that topic has been covered plenty in other threads.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:45 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Rick, glad to hear this is finally done (except for delivery of the car). Looking forward to the pics
Old 12-21-2005, 05:01 PM
CarsRGood
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nutbeem
I need him to sign an odometer certificate when I title the car in CA, let's hope he doesn't hold a grudge.
Probably not an issue as you will need to show up with the car at the DMV for inspection of VIN and your smog cert anyway - likely they will register and title without the odo cert if you state the seller was no longer available. Worst case is you would have to state mileage authenticity as unknown when you sell / apply for title/reg.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:21 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

So-o where is your car now??
Old 12-22-2005, 12:36 AM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Argh - Still in Mesquite. I think there is no "satellite tracking", it just feeds you some BS location to get you off their backs. I'll check back tomorrow and it will say "Naples, Florida".

Even though I paid for "Enclosed, top load", I'm probably on an open trailer, on the bottom under a 1986 Hyundai Excel leaking clutch fluid and 10 year old Quaker State...
Old 12-22-2005, 02:52 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Nutbeem
Argh - Still in Mesquite. I think there is no "satellite tracking", it just feeds you some BS location to get you off their backs. I'll check back tomorrow and it will say "Naples, Florida".

Even though I paid for "Enclosed, top load", I'm probably on an open trailer, on the bottom under a 1986 Hyundai Excel leaking clutch fluid and 10 year old Quaker State...
As long as its not under a Jaguar, you'll be fine Hope it all works out for ya!!
Old 12-27-2005, 09:15 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you get your car yet ????
Old 12-28-2005, 12:06 AM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Thanks for asking, I've watched it move across Texas, New Mexico and Arizona today - it's just outside Phoenix right now, could it be in LA tomorrow?

Quick Reply: Title question on C4S sale...