Sponsored by:

Title question on C4S sale...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 05:54 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Goes in the life's a bitch then you marry one catagory.
I know part of that saying, but it's the first I've heard this spin. Funny!!
Old 12-18-2005, 08:04 PM
agio
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting scenerio for him. But I would absolutely not send him the BOS. He no doubt wants the dealer to "wash" the transaction to save some taxes. This is no longer acceptable in many states and most dealers I know will not do this as they used to back in the "old" days.
As everyone has said, you paid your money and you're waiting for your car...hopefully, your car gets delivered properly and the seller should hold no ill wil toward you.
Keep us posted and good luck!
Old 12-18-2005, 11:03 PM
BlackCab996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Smart decision - he should understand if he's really a good guy - good luck and I hope you enjoy the car when it gets to you! - Sean
Old 12-18-2005, 11:54 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

.......and don't forget to post pics when you get that beauty!
Old 12-19-2005, 12:24 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did he sign the title to you? If so, the mileage at the sale should be on the title which is all you need.

The rest of it is just getting the car smogged in CA, making appt to DMV with the paperwork filled (download from dmv.ca.org) and bring a checkbook.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:25 AM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Nah, the Pennsylvania title did not have anywhere to write the mileage on it, just a place to "release the lein", which he signed.

I think we're all good - he's on his own, and I'm counting down the day...
Old 12-19-2005, 08:44 PM
searching4996
Racer

One way to make both parties feel comfortable would be for him to return your money, then you fedex him back the title. He could then go to the dealer, list it as a trade, and you could send your money to the dealer who would then fedex you back the title. The dealer gets your money, he gets his sales tax savings, and you get your car.

You're going to be sitting there with the car, so you'll be completely safe.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:46 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

searching.....if that route is taken then Rick no longer owns the car (gave up the title) and runs the risk of the original owner (or dealer for that matter) selling the car out from under him. They have the legal right to do that since Rick would have sent the title back BEFORE he registered the car. Doesn't sound completely safe at all.

I think this matter is closed anyway. Rick has already stated no-go and that the seller is "on his own". As Chris said, this is something that should have been taken care of and negotiated on the front side not post hoc.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:01 AM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I am in a interesting "title" position as well.......

I financed my vehicle through Bank One, who also happened to be the
finance company the PO used.
I sent my check to Bank One which paid off his note.
Bank One sent him the title (lien free), which he sent to me i n order
to title the vehicle in Texas.
The vehicle was used as the collateral for my loan, but I now have in my hand
a "free & clear" title to my vehicle & got a letter from Bank One asking me
to write them in as lien holder when I transfer the title......

Sorry for the threadjack, but this just tickles me to no end!

- Cam
Old 12-20-2005, 03:53 PM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nutbeem
Nah, the Pennsylvania title did not have anywhere to write the mileage on it, just a place to "release the lein", which he signed.
Look at the back of the title. On PA titles there's a tamper resistant space where the mileage has to be written and the seller has to sign in the presence of a notary. The purchaser also has to sign the back of the title (although that doesn't need to be notarized). If that wasn't done, you might have to send the title back to the seller to have it properly executed. If you have a properly executed Bill of Sale and possesion of the car, sending back the title shouldn't be a big deal. Worst case scenario, he doesn't return the title, you just declare it "lost" and apply for another one. You have the car and a valid contract of sale proving ownership.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:02 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Nut, here's a detailed description of what your seller is trying to do:

http://www.galves.com/gal_consumerinfo_howtrade.asp

I don't think that it's particularly unreasonable of him to have asked, but I can totally understand why you are feeling a little uncomfortable with the whole proposition. Perhaps if you knew the seller and the dealer a little (a lot?) better, it would be more acceptable for you, but things being what they are, I think you made the right decision. Frankly, he already got a better price selling privately as Dell mentioned than trading in to the dealer.

But, I don't think it is a lose-lose scenario for you. He likely will have to refund your money. Then you send the title to him/the dealer. Then you pay the dealer and they send you the title. It seems a bit of hassle, but perhaps it gives you some good karma. Would I do it? Can't say for sure. It would really only happen if it was an authorized Porsche dealer.

Meanwhile, here's a quick question, don't you have to pay taxes on your car when you register it? Maybe you can negotiate with the guy to split the taxes 50/50 to offset your fees in California. Food for thought...
Old 12-20-2005, 05:14 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Great points, all. On the Pennsylvania title, we were informed by a notary (at the bank where we did the financial transaction) that the back of the title can only be handled by a dealer, so we left with him just signing the title releasing the lein. I figured I'd be issued a new title in CA, so no big deal. I didn't even think to get a bill of sale, since CA DMV only requires a title and an odometer statement.

I'll feel better when this thing is all done...
Old 12-20-2005, 10:39 PM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nutbeem
On the Pennsylvania title, we were informed by a notary (at the bank where we did the financial transaction) that the back of the title can only be handled by a dealer, so we left with him just signing the title releasing the lein.
I'm not saying the bank notary is wrong, but I've sold a few cars in PA (I'm not a dealer) and every time I've had to fill out the back of the title with the odometer reading (I think federal law requires some kind of odometer statement whenever a vehicle is sold). The front just records the lien information. The actual assignment of the title to transfer ownership is on the back. That is the way the PA auto tag agency told me to do it. CA might not care when you register your car, but to be safe don't burn your bridges with the seller, you might need him to sign some additional documents. OK, I take it back, I am saying the bank notary is wrong.

BTW, if you do end up having to send the title back to the seller, have him execute a Bill of Sale evidencing the sale of the car to you BEFORE you mail off the title. That way if the title is lost, there is written evidence of your ownership of the car.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:27 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

The drama continues - he e-mailed me this morning saying he needed merely the most recent registration document (he'd given it to me so I'd have a registration on my trip to Charlotte) and a copy of my drivers license and proof of insurance. For all I know he's leasing a new Aston in my name.

Then, about an hour ago, he e-mailed me to say he'd found a NEW dealer who could work it out without anything from me.

While we still have a dialog going, I'm going to get him to sign a bill of sale with the odometer reading, and hope it's all good.

Meanwhile, thanks to satellite tracking, I see my car is in Mesquite, TX - If it wasn't Christmas in a few days, I'd hop on a plane tomorrow and go get it!
Old 12-20-2005, 11:51 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

DL and proof on insurance??? WTF is going on? I can't believe the crap this guy feeding you. I wouldn't do a thing till the car is in your driveway and then.....and only then....would I go register the car with your local title office. If they ask for a proof of odometer then go from there but as of right now this gets more and more suspicious by the minute.

Don't you find it odd that a "new" dealer could work it out. As many have said, this guy should have had this ALL worked out ahead of time. Now he puts on the full court press. Keep us posted. I would sure hate to see this turn out bad for you but I just smell something bad cooking.

Quick Reply: Title question on C4S sale...