Front trunk lock mechanism

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2001, 07:29 PM
996cab.com
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Front trunk lock mechanism

Hi all,
I have just noticed that when my front trunk is opened and I activate the alarm to lock the car, it does not give the familiar 'beep' sound. Also I found the front trunk courtesy light does not work.

The mechanism, which incorporates the electrical switch to detect front trunk status – opened or shut – as well as switching the courtesy light on when the trunk is opened appears to be faulty IMO. I am about to purchase a new lock mechanism however I am not sure if the above fault relates to a blown fuse or other fault.

Anyone care to give his or her thoughts and possible resolutions. Is the mechanism known to fail? Car is ’99 C2 996 Cab.
Old 12-26-2001, 10:54 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Don't know about the light but the alarm appears to be working normally. The alarm not operating normally is designed to let you know that the trunk is open. If you shut and latch the trunk lid, the alarm will operate normally.

Unless the car is an early 99, it should still be under the 3/36 warranty, so I'd suggest letting them take a look at the light rather than messing around with it yourself.
Old 12-27-2001, 02:37 AM
Graham
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by www.996cab.com:
<STRONG>Hi all,
I have just noticed that when my front trunk is opened and I activate the alarm to lock the car, it does not give the familiar 'beep' sound. Also I found the front trunk courtesy light does not work.

The mechanism, which incorporates the electrical switch to detect front trunk status – opened or shut – as well as switching the courtesy light on when the trunk is opened appears to be faulty IMO. </STRONG>
Well, I think that your diagnosis is accurate. The fact that the alarm doesn't beep when you arm it with the trunk up suggests that the sensor is acting as if the trunk is closed. Similarly with the light.

I'd definitely take it along to the Porsche shop and have them look at it as it's probably still under warranty. If not, t should be easy to check out just the sensor. I doubt that you need to change the lock mechanism itself.

If it was a fuse, I'd expect the alarm to beep. (Maybe wrong ...)

Hope this helps.

Graham
Old 12-27-2001, 02:42 AM
Graham
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Originally posted by www.996cab.com:
<STRONG>... I activate the alarm to lock the car, it does not give the familiar 'beep' sound. </STRONG>
Incidently, the alarm shouldn't beep under normal operation. If it does, then it is sensing an open connection somewhere with the doors, trunk, center console storage (what a piece of JUNK!!), or the head-unit sensor for your sound system.

Graham
Old 12-27-2001, 05:21 AM
996cab.com
Instructor

Hi Karl S & Graham,
Thanks for your replies. I think the sensor on the trunk lock mechanism must be faulty as in my last car, a Boxster, if the trunk was left opened or on the latch and alarm was armed it would give the familiar 'beep' to acknowledge an opened connection.

In the UK Porsche warranty is only for 24mths not 36mths and my car is a May '99 model.

Purchasing a new lock mechanism seems to be the best option as it incorporates the sensor for the alarm as well as the switch for the light. Cost is negligible. If the trunk were tampered with, I would loose my McIntosh amp! That is surely worth more than the lock mechanism!

Thanks yet again both for confirming my suspicion.
Merry Xmas to all.

Quick Reply: Front trunk lock mechanism