Sponsored by:

Need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2001, 09:00 PM
STRSHP
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Need some advice

Have made my way 250 miles from home for that Christmas visit. After encountering several accidents that slowed and finally stopped my progress, the chech engine light has come on. The light came on after a lot of stop and go, engine turned off after a substanitally quick run and then restarted after 20 Min. It showed itself after a particlarly annoying encounter with slower traffic from which I escaped by use of the throttle.

No one is around at any dealership to download the fault. My dealer provided his opinion that the yellow check engine light means the car can be driven but needs attention soon and the owner's manual seems to agree. It has normal power and everything as it normally is except for the light. I am thinking of driving it very little while here, doing the 250 mi back home and turning it into the dealer to check. 99 C2. Thoughts anyone?
Old 12-22-2001, 11:12 PM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Did you recently add fluids or have work done on the car? Did the light stay on all the time after it went on the first time?
Old 12-22-2001, 11:23 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

The "check engine light" indicates a fault in the emmission control system. Most commonly occurs after filling fuel and gas cap not properly secured. I know for a while they were replacing the filler cap gaskets. Other common cause is bad O2 sensors, I've had mine replaced twice. Probably nothing major, often times will reset itself after a series of normal startups. If all other indicators are normal I would not worry too much and get it checked out when you get back home.
Doug
Old 12-23-2001, 12:30 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts
Also can come on if oil fill cap not correctly seated. I would drive the car for a few days- if the fault corrected itself, the light goes off after a few start/drive/shut -off cycles.
Old 12-23-2001, 10:35 AM
STRSHP
Racer

Thanks for the relpies. Your comments mirror what I had found out talking with some friends. I am thinking O2 sensor, since it sat idle for 20 min, then in stop and go for another 20. I will try both the oil and gas cap and have a good look around. Thanks again and Merry Christmas
Old 12-23-2001, 03:06 PM
SICAONE
Racer

Mine was due to a bad O2 sensor also.
Old 12-24-2001, 04:03 AM
996cab.com
Instructor

who said Porsche owners are not caring? good bunch of guys! Merry Xmas all and god bless you all.

May '99 C2 Cab

Quick Reply: Need some advice