996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Engine Strong vs. Weak

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005 | 11:57 PM
AlexL.
Instructor

Default 996 Engine Strong vs. Weak

I have searched for a 996 for quite some time and have driven dozens of examples in that time, both 3.4 and 3.6 liter motors.

I was always amazed how a car may seem "fast" to me one day then I would drive another example of the same car on another day and not think its that quick. I have read on several occasions here on this site that people claim to have "strong" motors vs others. What does this mean? What are the tolerances from porsche on hp from the factory? I always thought that Porsche was very conservative and had tight measures.

I had not driven many examples back to back on the same day but have others here done so and if so have you seen differences where a particular car seems noticeably stronger than some other same model? Could it be some are just out of tune or is this just a product of how they came out of the factory?

What do you guys think?
Old 12-08-2005 | 12:00 AM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

I think what you may be experiencing is the difference in suspension on different cars. Some "looser" cars tend to create an illusion of a slower ride, etc.
Old 12-08-2005 | 12:33 AM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

My car feels fast on some days and slow on others.
Old 12-08-2005 | 01:07 AM
kilrgt
Drifting

I find my car is like a women, some days a great ride, others i would rather drive something else!!
Old 12-08-2005 | 10:42 AM
SPR
Drifting

My car has been said to be exceptionally fast when it was stock. It would pull 3.6l by a bit. Whetehr it does now with more miles and more mods is tough to say. Sometimes the car feels slow to me sometimes not. I find it feels slow depending how I drive it. If I am trying to use power not in the powerband and don't downshift then it seems somewhat down on power. However this is only when the car is cold and oil is not yet to temp. I usually drive the car how it's supposed to not abusively but I like to not lug it either.

It also makes a big difference to me at least as I feel everything on the butt dyno, whether it's cold or hot out. If it's 70 or below the car goes great. If it's 78 or above it goes fine but I can tell that because of the crappy 91 gas it is retarding the timing. I used to run the mix with 100 but there isn't anywhere around in SD that has it at the pump that's close or where it's reasonably priced otherwise.
Old 12-08-2005 | 11:45 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd be willing to bet that if you took ten 996s of the same year, put in the same fuel and put them on the same dyno on the same day you would find their power to be very close to identical.

However, gas, air density and weight can all have a huge effect on how fast a car is on a given day. My 996 race car with a full tank of gas at the beginning of an enduro feels like a pig compared to qualifying with a couple of gallons. The 100 lbs makes a big difference. As mentioned, air temp/density also has a big impact as does the quality of the gas. I really think it's these factors that account for fast vs slow rather than some engines being faster.
Jim
Old 12-08-2005 | 12:18 PM
harris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JimB
I'd be willing to bet that if you took ten 996s of the same year, put in the same fuel and put them on the same dyno on the same day you would find their power to be very close to identical.

However, gas, air density and weight can all have a huge effect on how fast a car is on a given day. My 996 race car with a full tank of gas at the beginning of an enduro feels like a pig compared to qualifying with a couple of gallons. The 100 lbs makes a big difference. As mentioned, air temp/density also has a big impact as does the quality of the gas. I really think it's these factors that account for fast vs slow rather than some engines being faster.
Jim
totally agree!!!!!!
Old 12-08-2005 | 12:38 PM
c4bliss
Racer

Originally Posted by kilrgt
I find my car is like a women, some days a great ride, others i would rather drive something else!!
LOLOL I hear that!

Though i do agree, and it must be the suspension between my C4 and my C2. The C4 seems faster and stronger then the C2... though both are same year and same motor.
Old 12-08-2005 | 12:46 PM
SPR
Drifting

Interesting I actually find unless I am just a wierdo and there are other factors to blame, that the car doesn't run as strongly with under 1/4 tank, as full or anywhere above?
Well regarding the variance in engines, I would tend to agree assuming they are mass produced and not by hand like cup engines. I remember reading somewhere that cup engines used to be signed by the assembler, and some dyno'd higher which led teams to seek that particular assembler. Porsche then disallowed the signing of the engines because of this.
I do feel however that my car has always been "unordinately fast". I never thought much of it until other very seasoned P car owners pointed that out.

I also feel that how someone treats the car will also vary how much power the car looses over time etc. I.e. if a car is properly broken in and always warmed up before it is driven hard, I would expect less wear than if someone doesn't adhere to the break in procedure, and doesn't warm the car up prematurely wearking the cylinders, rings, guides, seats, etc.
Old 12-08-2005 | 10:50 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by leedav
My car feels fast on some days and slow on others.
+1
Old 12-08-2005 | 10:56 PM
pl
Drifting

the fuel bump is getting old...

i tried a 2001 996 today, it doesn't feel like fast. don't know why. maybe the summer tires and the temp. is like 30?

Originally Posted by SPR
Interesting I actually find unless I am just a wierdo and there are other factors to blame, that the car doesn't run as strongly with under 1/4 tank, as full or anywhere above?.
Old 12-08-2005 | 11:02 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SPR
Interesting I actually find unless I am just a wierdo and there are other factors to blame, that the car doesn't run as strongly with under 1/4 tank, as full or anywhere above?
Well regarding the variance in engines, I would tend to agree assuming they are mass produced and not by hand like cup engines. I remember reading somewhere that cup engines used to be signed by the assembler, and some dyno'd higher which led teams to seek that particular assembler. Porsche then disallowed the signing of the engines because of this.
I do feel however that my car has always been "unordinately fast". I never thought much of it until other very seasoned P car owners pointed that out.

I also feel that how someone treats the car will also vary how much power the car looses over time etc. I.e. if a car is properly broken in and always warmed up before it is driven hard, I would expect less wear than if someone doesn't adhere to the break in procedure, and doesn't warm the car up prematurely wearking the cylinders, rings, guides, seats, etc.
No question a tired engine will loose power. I don't get the 1/4 tank thing. Maybe you are just a weirdo.
Old 12-08-2005 | 11:30 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

I have always felt my motor was put together pretty well, no leaks and strong on power. I figured there are regular engine assemblers and master engine builders at Porsche, when the best aren't busy with TTs and GT3 engines they will buid a m96 motor.I think I got lucky. Makes sense to me, but I'm a crazy old F.
Old 12-09-2005 | 02:58 AM
arenared
Burning Brakes

I don't think the average butt-meter can reliably tell the difference between engines in different cars. Different options can significantly affect weight including tires, wheels, seats, Litronics, different years, etc. I can tell the difference between full tank and empty, and it pulls harder when on empty. If you're not sure, get a G-meter for $100. I've made probably at least 100 runs, and it maps pretty nicely depending on temperature, tank fill, weight, and mods. I see a difference in ditching the spare tire, for example. With that said, there is some variability, though. Sometimes the ECU just says go; other times it seems to be acting lazy. That could be possibly due to our crappy gas and the ECU thinking, "I'm not sure this time."
Old 12-09-2005 | 01:56 PM
SPR
Drifting

I also ditched the spare and have a plug kit and compressor in the car. I do know that the ECU supposedly is a learning type and if you drive it like grandma it will respond like grandma. I have pulled the battery cable for 20 min after I do any maintenance like clean maf, or tb, or air filter, whatever, and it definitely is different. Also after a nice spirited mountain drive the car even around town is much more responsive. This could be just cleaning out the plugs and the like though

Quick Reply: 996 Engine Strong vs. Weak