1st time 996 owner and APCO / Easy Care warranty

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 07:09 PM
IndyTim
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 1st time 996 owner and APCO / Easy Care warranty

Hi folks -

I wanted to introduce myself as one of the newer 996 owners on the virtual block.

After much soul searching I had planned to simplify my life from three-car ownership to one, by buying a new Cayenne S. Upon selling my way down to the one remaining vehicle (a Jeep Cherokee), I decided I couldn't live without a real sports car. (I bet that's a shocking revelation to you.) I just bought an '00 Arena Red/Beige Carrera Coupe with 17k miles, and am very happy to finally join the club of 911 owners.

Along with the car, I bought an extended warranty offered by the dealer (Luxury Motors in Chicago). I had been comparing similar offerings from Warranty Direct, 1st Source, and Warranty Gold. The dealer offered Easy Care, which is a product from APCO. I finagled a couple days to back out of the warranty, since I didn't know anything about this particular product.

Does anyone have any experience with this company? I can't find anything in the archives.

Thanks,

Tim
(Cayenne S no longer on order)
Old 06-05-2003, 08:06 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no clue what that warranty is about but it would be interesting to know what you get it for and what plan i.e. year/mileage it is. It seems that 1sourse is the best but the dealer ones are good if they cover everything also.
Old 06-06-2003, 12:20 AM
IndyTim
Intermediate

Each of the warranty products differs from the other in some way, making apples-to-apples comparisons difficult.

FWIW, the Easy Care program has the following major features:

Cost: $1893 for 4 yrs/60,000 miles on a 2000 C2 w/ 17k miles still under factory warranty

Deductible: $200 per visit (not per item), which seems high

Coverage: this is an exception-based warranty. Everything is covered except --
* "normal maintenance" items like brake pads, tuneups, shocks
* convertible top (doesn't apply to me with a coupe)
* clutch, lenses, bulbs, exterior metal, interior fabric/upholstery.
(I'm listing everything - there are a few more like hoses, etc. which aren't that big a deal)

The Additional Benefits are roughly comparable to other major plans: rental car coverage, roadside assistance, meals/lodging when stranded, etc.

In all, this plan looks pretty good, except possibly for the higher deductible. But then, the coverage looks more complete than some others as well.
Old 06-06-2003, 05:19 AM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmm seems pretty cheap.
Old 06-06-2003, 07:25 AM
996 AERO
Instructor

I ended up with WarrantyGold after much research on the other two. OneSource and WarrantyDirect. WarrantyDIrect was very high pressure sales pitch once I contacted them... E-mails and phones calls at least twice a week. I paid an extra $100.00 to WarrantyGold to include no deductibe
for a total of $1949.00 for the four year/60,000. The $200.00 deductible for each visit seems high to me. I suggest you compare item by item with WarrantyGold as I did before making a decision.
The only things it does not cover is the normal maintenance like you mentioned. My only concern with any of them is how they treat you when you have a claim. Also I need to put 1000 miles on the car before the warranty takes affect. Ofcourse once we get some decent weather here in the NE that will not take long.! Like IndyTim said, they all differ in some way. I guess the bottom line is to research and compare and decide on the one you feel is best for you. My car is a 1999 C2 coupe with 26,000 miles. Good luck..Let us know how you make out.
Old 06-06-2003, 08:45 AM
CAndrew
Track Day

<<I'm listing everything - there are a few more like hoses, etc. which aren't that big a deal>>

Actually, those kind of things can be big loopholes (personal experience!). If a hose fails, then the engine overheats and sustains damage, then they may not cover the major damage caused by a relatively cheap part.

My personal experience is based on an extended warranty from the manufacturer of one my boats, a Cobalt. We had major issues after a part failure, and could never get the provider of the extended warranty to ante up even a cent!

Quick Reply: 1st time 996 owner and APCO / Easy Care warranty