996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Targa - what's the verdict

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005 | 01:45 AM
ryant858
3rd Gear

Default 996 Targa - what's the verdict

I've been looking at a couple '02 Targas. What's the scoop on them? People generally like the oversized sunroof? Any complaints?
Old 11-23-2005 | 01:49 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

I think they're rather useless. If you want open air, get a cab. If not stick with a coupe. If you live any where hot, dont get a targa. They cook on the inside, that big glass panel above your head magnifies the sun and its like sitting under a heat lamp.
Old 11-23-2005 | 01:55 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

I had a 993 Targa and a 996 Targa. Personally I think its a great middle ground between a coupe and a cab. I drove a Boxster S for several years with the top down virtually all of the time, but I don't think I would get a cab again. The Targa has a sunshade under the glass top, and the glass is well tinted. I didn't have any issues with the heat. No complaints for me - I would consider another Targa in the future (and my bet is there will be a 997 Targa).
Old 11-23-2005 | 06:44 AM
Curvfun
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTEC
I think they're rather useless. If you want open air, get a cab. If not stick with a coupe. If you live any where hot, dont get a targa. They cook on the inside, that big glass panel above your head magnifies the sun and its like sitting under a heat lamp.
To lend credibility to your statement, you should show us the registration for a 996 Targa that you've owned. They do not "cook" on the inside. I live in the South, and as long as you keep the shade closed, it is not one bit hotter than any darker colored coupe parked outside. The top glass does not "magnify" anything. The AC works well and cools this car very quickly.

The reality is, it is a great combination of coupe and open air car. It is a big sunroof car. If you're searching for the complete open air experience, it is not exactly like a cab. The body structure is stiffer like a coupe, not flexible like the cab. That was my attraction to it. Open air and a stiffer body structure. Plus, you can open and close the top at any speed.

Couple of things. I test drove two '02 cars before purchasing my '03 new. The tops on the '02 cars I tested had a tendancy to make noise or rattle when closed. I can't say this is indigenous to all '02 cars, but mine doesn't suffer the constant rattles I experienced in them. Mine occasionally has a noise on severe bumps, but nothing that I'd ever consider changing the car for. Also, there are updates available from Porsche for the tops, but if it rattles a lot now, you are at the mercy of the skills of the Porsche tech's understanding of the top mechanism. As a comparison, I don't suffer the sunroof rattles that a lot of coupe owners complain about. If you're going to track the car, it is slightly more top heavy than a regular coupe. But, if you're going to turn a Porsche into a track car, you probably shouldn't purchase the Targa anyway.

At Porsche gatherings, you will be in a rare example of a 996. The other enthusiasts typically want to experience the "look and feel" of the top because there were so few of them sold in the US compared to 996's in general.

My comments accurately reflect the reality of the Targa. Hope this helps.
Old 11-23-2005 | 09:06 AM
mikey175
Racer

I'd echo Dwayne's comments. I've got an '03 Targa and live in Atlanta. No issues with excessive heat. There is an electric sunshade that works well and which I have only needed to use a handful of times in the two years I've owned the car.

Likes: open feeling even with top closed (unique feeling in any coupe), stiffness more like a coupe than a cab, attractive lines, other 996 attributes (power delivery, transmission, handling, reliability)

Dislikes: when retracted, roof and rear pane impair visibility in rear.

In general, two years into it, no regrets at all. The Targa is a terrific choice. Good luck.

-- M
Old 11-23-2005 | 09:32 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

I didn't want a Targa when I bought mine, but I liked the particular car so I bought it anyway. It is, quite simply, amazing. I really like my Targa. It is unique, beautiful and more practical than the coupe or cab due to the hatchback. The Targa is great with the roof open, but I find that it is even more special during inclement or cold weather, when I can still get that feeling of openness and contact with nature despite the fact that the roof is closed.

For example, I was driving down to VIR a few weeks ago and the moon was almost full with clouds in the sky. Although it was too cold to put the top down, I could enjoy the stunning scenery in the skies with my roof closed. My car has given me many magical moments (sorta like that VW cab commercial from a few years ago).

No squeaks, no leaks, no problems. The visibility "issue" does not bother me one bit.
Old 11-23-2005 | 09:49 AM
caf
Rennlist Member

I've had a number of Porsches, and spent time in many more--both cabs and coupes. The Targa configuration is by far my favorite. Never had any issues of cooking on the inside; in fact I think it's less of an issue than with a coupe. If the car's been parked for awhile, you can open the whole roof in a few seconds--instantly ventilating the car.

I'm waiting to see a 997 Targa (though the Cayman I sat in last night is beautiful!).
Old 11-23-2005 | 10:05 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Oh yeah, I never have any issues with "cooking" . . . ever. However, I do park my car in covered garages at all times.
Old 11-24-2005 | 12:46 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dwaynemosley
To lend credibility to your statement, you should show us the registration for a 996 Targa that you've owned.....
I've never owned a targa before but I have had the opprotunity to drive quite a few. Even on mild days I've found the cabin to incredibly hot. And as someone mentioned when the top is open, the rear visibility is very poor. The only positive I can see is it might be easier to load stuff in the rear.

Anyways seeing as you own one, I wouldnt doubt you to give it anything but sparkling reviews. The poster asked for peoples complaints, and I gave 'em. Sorry for going with the thread. Also your comments reflect your opinion, and thats it.
Old 11-24-2005 | 01:07 AM
BlackCab996
Rennlist Member

I think they're both great cars, but the Targa can't replicate the experience of a Cab. It's a different car and experience. If you want some decent air in your hair without the headaches that MIGHT come up with a cab (see other threads about wear, motor problems, rear windows, etc...) get the Targa. Even with some of the potential future headaches, (and after test driving a Targa and Cabs), I ultimately bought a cab. I don't think you can go wrong with either, but I wanted the full convertible experience and I'm glad I went that direction. A neighbor of mine has the Targa and he loves his car as much as I love mine. He said he has no problems (I think he has 50k on the odometer) and he was trying to talk me into getting the Targa.
Old 11-24-2005 | 09:38 AM
caf
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlackCab996
I think they're both great cars, but the Targa can't replicate the experience of a Cab. It's a different car and experience. If you want some decent air in your hair without the headaches that MIGHT come up with a cab (see other threads about wear, motor problems, rear windows, etc...) get the Targa. Even with some of the potential future headaches, (and after test driving a Targa and Cabs), I ultimately bought a cab. I don't think you can go wrong with either, but I wanted the full convertible experience and I'm glad I went that direction. A neighbor of mine has the Targa and he loves his car as much as I love mine. He said he has no problems (I think he has 50k on the odometer) and he was trying to talk me into getting the Targa.
BlackCab,
I think you're absolutely right. The Targa will never substitute for a Cab for those who want a fully open air experience. The Targa offers other advantages, though, and it's nice to have both options. I hope Porsche does come through with a 997 Targa--would asking for an "S" be too much?
Old 11-24-2005 | 10:32 AM
Curvfun
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by caf
BlackCab,
I think you're absolutely right. The Targa will never substitute for a Cab for those who want a fully open air experience. The Targa offers other advantages, though, and it's nice to have both options. I hope Porsche does come through with a 997 Targa--would asking for an "S" be too much?
I agree about the attractiveness of an "S" Targa. I'd be very interested in one of these. The vertical is narrow though, both for resale of ours, and general interest in the new ones. The Targa is a car that needs to be understood to be loved. That's obvious even in this thread.

BTW, love that picture you're using as your avatar.
Old 11-26-2005 | 10:36 AM
donkeyman
Banned

If you want the full convertible experience, the Targa is not the way to go. But it is a different experience and one I am enjoying a lot more than the CLK convertible I had previously. The ability to have the sunlight or star light coming into the car no matter how warm or cold it is is great.

I live in Hong Kong and store my car outdoors - sure it does get hot but no worse than other cars I've had and you can let the heat escape quickly by opening the roof with the key before you get in. Then switch the air con on and close the roof whilst you are driving at any speed.

The other thing I should mention is that the rear hatch opens - this makes the car very practical. You fold the rear seats down and you have plenty of luggage space. The other nice thing about the Targa is that they are rare - I see more Turbos than Targas here.

Overall I love it and hope to upgrade to a 997 Targa S one day.

Quick Reply: 996 Targa - what's the verdict