Sponsored by:

New (to me) Porsche, 2 problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 12:42 AM
Brick
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New (to me) Porsche, 2 problems

I had list here I was selling my C4S for an NSX. Well that was before a tricky dealer let me drive a Turbo for 3 days. I now have the Turbo. 01 Polar Silver, large leather package, supple black leather. 12,800 miles.

Problem 1. Both seats lumbar adjustment just makes a click when you touch the switches in any way. What's up with that?

Problem 2. More of a decision. Car has worse rear tires than the C4S which were nearly new so part of the deal was they will trade the tires. The Turbo has hollow spoke but of course the C$S does not. The Turbo's rear rims both have some curb rash, one kinda bad to me, although I did not see it on the 3 day loan. (I wonder if done after I returned it, paint fracture looks cleand and new.)

So, do I swap the rims with the tires and give the hollow spokes, or are they important enough both in performance and value that I should live with the rash and try to have it repaired? And if I keep them, how do I get them fixed here in Dallas area.

Last, I am very pleased to stick with a Porsche. I had second thoughts every time I looked at the C4S so when a reasonable (to me, not my wife!) opportunity came about to go Turbo I just had to do it. What power!

Bill
Old 11-23-2005, 01:27 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd stay with the C4S wheels. Are you sure they aren't hollow? I think 02+ are all hollow no? Repainting is OK but the finish may not match 100% and it's too much of a hassle for a couple pounds of weight savings at each wheel.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:11 AM
Brick
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, the C4S wheels are not hollow. Standard is turbo look wheels. The hollow spoke are an up grade.

I am still undecided this morning so I hope some others reply as to value etc.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 11-23-2005, 11:25 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Only about half of the '01 TT's had hollows.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:33 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Chris, get a new ride? I see your avitar has changed.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:21 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Same car, new pic from the glen this past October. Was all set to make a deal on a 997C4S, fell through so to speak, I guess I'll be 'stuck' with mine a bit longer.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:36 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Great pic Chris. I actually just saw it in another thread (large pic) just a few minutes ago.....looks like that was an interesting track day
Old 11-23-2005, 12:40 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Same car, new pic from the glen this past October. Was all set to make a deal on a 997C4S, fell through so to speak, I guess I'll be 'stuck' with mine a bit longer.

aww poor guy. "stuck" with a beautiful C4S
Old 11-23-2005, 12:45 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Actually, I'm not too broken up about the deal not going through, as I've actually got my car set up just the way I want it, and I love the way it sits and handles with that X73!
I have a nice track shot in the esses I'll try and post later.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:07 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Brick
No, the C4S wheels are not hollow. Standard is turbo look wheels. The hollow spoke are an up grade.

I am still undecided this morning so I hope some others reply as to value etc.

Thanks.

Bill
Performance and look-wise, there really isn't much of a noticeable diff between the hollows and the solids. But, you CAN tell them apart fairly easily so long as you know what you are looking for. I have a second set of wheels for the track, and these are hollow spokes I got as take-offs from eBay. Though I can't honestly say I can feel a difference, I FEEL I can go faster better with the hollows, know what I mean? So, stick to the hollows but swap the tires. You can then either live with the curb rash or repai/exchange the one wheel with places like wheel enhancement..
Old 11-23-2005, 06:41 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Curb rash is a simple repair. Find a place that sells wheels locally (speed shops, big tire dealer) and they will have them repaired for you in 48 hours at a cost of about 75 bucks per rim. It is trivial and the wheels come back looking like brand new. A non issue as far as I'm concerned.

Quick Reply: New (to me) Porsche, 2 problems