996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Almost car jacked

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 01:09 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Better be safe than sorry. You mean to tell me that nobody wanted to steal your vette when you had it??
Old 11-16-2005, 01:38 PM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, I'm glad nothing happened.

But honestly, it doesn't sound like a "car jacking". There was no initial threat made and no harsh words exchanged. If someone wanted to jack you, they wouldn't be asking if the air pump was working, they'd get out of their car and quite simply... well, jack you.

My parents live in Greenwich, CT and by all means, it's one of the safest places around. There are so many exotics running around greenwich ave it's insane. I always find it funny when I go see my parents because there is really no crime whatsoever there and they post sppeding tickets in the local newspaper... go figure

back on point, I'm glad you didn't get jacked and its better to be safe than sorry, but I think you would have been okay either way
Old 11-16-2005, 02:02 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I think it did sound like an aborted jack attempt, they tried to get the guys attention(diversion) but pussed out. There was a guy here on the north shore of LI who was asked for directions at a gas station, another punk suckered him from behind and snatched his SL500 MB.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:06 PM
m21sniper
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Xvetteowner
wow what a nice start to the day here in Greenwich CT last sunday! It was about 9:00 am and it was time for my weekly drive around town in my ocean blue C2,(Mint 32k miles,nice mods) I started by getting gas then putting air in the tires at the Mobil gas station here in town, And there is where the problem started. Two guys in a four door white **** box honda with N.Y tags pulled next to me and says" The air pump works now?" I don't say a word since it seems odd that one guy is in the back seat by himself. The next thing the driver says is nice car to which the guy in the back starts yelling 'forget go go" with that the car takes off on a road that goes straight to I-95 and I guess back to N.Y. I called the cops and was told I was luck "E" as the cop said it. I share this story because I never saw this coming (and I look for problems to keep them from happening) With 32 years of driving ( I'm 48 ) and more 1st rate cars then I care to count this happens with my first Porsche. From time to time you would hear a story about someboby being followed home then having his/her car ripped off I just never thought it could be me in little Greenwich Ct. WATCH everyone Not a nice way to live but in this day and age a safe way. All the best Gary

This is why God invented the 2d Amendment. Get yourself a good quality pistol and a carry permit.

Glad you're OK.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:17 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Completely agree with everything said. I also know Greenwich very well; it's very safe. However, that doesn't mean that bad things can't happen there. Maybe it wasn't a potential car-jacking, but maybe it was. The question that is most overlooked so far, Xvetteowner, is: what would you have done about it if the passenger jumped out and 'asked' for your keys? It's like they say, "I love my car to death, but not really....you get me?"
Old 11-16-2005, 02:25 PM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
I think it did sound like an aborted jack attempt, they tried to get the guys attention(diversion) but pussed out. There was a guy here on the north shore of LI who was asked for directions at a gas station, another punk suckered him from behind and snatched his SL500 MB.
That sucks... Funny you say that though, because I have a friend who got mugged that same way. Guy draws the attention and creates a diversion while the other guy runs up from behind. F'ed up. He never saw it coming. But in this case, I believe he saw both of them or he wouldn't be able to identify the other guy was in the back seat. There was no real diversion or drawing any attention away as they were both right in front of him. But honestly, who knows... I wasn't there, it could have happened totally different. The good thing is that nothing bad came out of this semi-scare
Old 11-16-2005, 02:41 PM
dirtrack49
Instructor

Just because your paronoid, doesn't mean everyone is out to get you.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:47 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,235 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtrack49
Just because your paronoid, doesn't mean everyone is out to get you.
actually the saying goes "just pecause you are paranoid doesn't mean the are not out to get you........."

Old 11-16-2005, 02:53 PM
dirtrack49
Instructor

Otay...did you notice I spelled paranoid...paronoid??? Makes a big difference you know?
Old 11-16-2005, 06:16 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Think a lesson learned here is not to leave your engine running while filling up the tires. I have left my engine running many times while pumping air. Greenwich is clearly safe, but like anywhere there is always crime, especially if you leave your guard down.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:32 PM
cgeorgan
Instructor

I live in Norwalk (yeah, I know it's full of crime) but spend a lot of time in Greenwich. Which gas station were you at? Was it on Putnam Ave., or some other place off the beaten path? Was it closer to NY or further east?
Old 11-16-2005, 09:53 PM
James-man
Race Car

The Honda had nitrous and they wanted to race you for pinks. The front seat was empty 'cause the driver just dropped his girlfriend off. Or maybe they were going to take your car.

Something about you spooked them. Maybe you look like a cop? Nice ending!
Old 11-17-2005, 03:35 AM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 269 Posts

Glad to hear nothing happened...that sucks ***
Old 11-17-2005, 05:35 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

car jacking at a gas station isn't too strange...I know a girl who's car got jacket after she filled it up paid and wanted to get into her car...a guy just walked up to her told her to hand him the keys (showed her his gun) and took the car (Porsche)
If it happens to me...which is unlikely ( I don't look like a very friendly person) I will break the guys neck before he even knows what is happening!... about the starter story...there are a lot of people who just want to make a nice remark....and they come in all shapes and forms...nothing to be affraid off.

Quick Reply: Almost car jacked