Sponsored by:

Almost car jacked

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 11:53 PM
Xvetteowner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost car jacked

wow what a nice start to the day here in Greenwich CT last sunday! It was about 9:00 am and it was time for my weekly drive around town in my ocean blue C2,(Mint 32k miles,nice mods) I started by getting gas then putting air in the tires at the Mobil gas station here in town, And there is where the problem started. Two guys in a four door white **** box honda with N.Y tags pulled next to me and says" The air pump works now?" I don't say a word since it seems odd that one guy is in the back seat by himself. The next thing the driver says is nice car to which the guy in the back starts yelling 'forget go go" with that the car takes off on a road that goes straight to I-95 and I guess back to N.Y. I called the cops and was told I was luck "E" as the cop said it. I share this story because I never saw this coming (and I look for problems to keep them from happening) With 32 years of driving ( I'm 48 ) and more 1st rate cars then I care to count this happens with my first Porsche. From time to time you would hear a story about someboby being followed home then having his/her car ripped off I just never thought it could be me in little Greenwich Ct. WATCH everyone Not a nice way to live but in this day and age a safe way. All the best Gary
Old 11-16-2005, 12:14 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Glad you're ok, always look out around you.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:31 AM
StanSoph
Racer

Thank goodness all ended well. The world is not as it once was. Be safe.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:35 AM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another take on the situation...

The guy came by to put air into his tires, pump wasn't working. He left, perhaps went across the street to a diner to get some breakfast. Driving back he noticed you at the pump, so he decides to come by and see if the pump's working. Drives up, compliments you on your car, while his pal all of a sudden gets a sudden urge to leave......
Old 11-16-2005, 12:43 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Glad to hear nothing went bad for you.....but explain again how you think this was an attempted jack? Did they have a gun that you saw? Did they ask for your car? I'm confused on this one. The 2 guys very well may have been suspicious looking but I am just trying to understand what led you to believe you were about to potentially meet your maker.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:46 AM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

does not sound like a car jacking to me.... If he said give me your F*#&ing keys Bitch... I would tend to agree with you. I am with Eli guy was being apreciative. I had this homeless guy come up to me once to talk about my "Turbo" he wrote down the model and year on a peice of paper asked to borrow a pen to do so. The reason why he needed the info was that he was going to "Get him one" I played along with it. It was on PCH in Laguna after work in broad day light so I did not mind.

Sometimes people are crazy or just plain nice no reason to dismiss them because of what you have.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:02 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't get this one either. I guess it is one of those "you had to be there" type of stories.

I have people come up to me every now and then while I'm at the pumps. Most of the time they just have a question about the car ("How fast have you taken it?", "What's the top speed on that car?", etc.) I admit sometimes it makes me a little nervous, especially when two guys come up to me, but just be alert and aware of your surroundings and remember that the car is not worth dying for -- if they want to steal it, they can have it!
Old 11-16-2005, 01:18 AM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by programmatore
the car is not worth dying for -- if they want to steal it, they can have it!
Yes, all the have to do is ask...
Old 11-16-2005, 01:24 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eli K
Yes, all the have to do is ask...
Yup, all they have to do is ask. And nothing says "pretty please" like a Glock pointed at my head.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:03 AM
StanSoph
Racer

Car jack me now, I'll get a 997 TT.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:00 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Glad to hear nothing went bad for you.....but explain again how you think this was an attempted jack? Did they have a gun that you saw? Did they ask for your car? I'm confused on this one. The 2 guys very well may have been suspicious looking but I am just trying to understand what led you to believe you were about to potentially meet your maker.
I had the same reaction as you. About the only thing I read was there was a bunch of guys in a Honda acting suspiciously. Now no one says that criminals are smart but hijacking a vehicle at a gas station with lots of potential witnesses? Also why hijack a high profile vehicle like a Porsche that doesn't exactly blend in with the rest of the cars on the road? Porsches are good cars to steal at the appropriate place and time, but I don't think many Porsches are hijacked.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:07 AM
agio
Racer

Wow, that's a scary thing in Greenwich. I lived in North Stamford for years. Now down here in Paradise (less the hurricanes). You can't be too careful. You must be deligent at all times...anywhere you live.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:36 AM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Always better to have the mindset of being aware and cautious. You will never be wrong for being prepared. On the other side, how many people sufferred for not using common sense or from not listening to that little voice that says "something is not quite right here".

Some self-defense instructors refer to the state of wandering around clueless of your surroundings as being "food". Don't be food!

Anybody out there, especially with a daughter, should make sure that they get some basic self-defense training. Just watch the news on any given day and you will know why.

I'm glad that you are safe and learned from this situation!
Old 11-16-2005, 11:47 AM
Xvetteowner
Instructor

Default Why I thought what I thought

Before moving to town I was with the Suffolk County Sheriff's Department. After a number of years you get to tell when something COULD happen to you in your gut. I've been cut on my right arm from almost the top of my shoulder to my hand when I didn't think the guy with eyes Wide open looking left to right then down at the floor was dangerous because he was a kid ( 17 years old) I paid that price the hard way. The guy driving that car had that same look,real reved up so to speak, which is fine in itself but what really worried me was why would his friend be sitting in the back seat behind him in a four door car and not the front next to him/ And why did he get so upset and start saying 'Forget it Go,Go!! " Forget what/ And why did they go racing out the gas station straight down a road that goes right ( About 800 feet ) to I-95.Nothing bad happened I posted this only to share the fact that "stuff" really happens when you least expect it. Back to trading Stocks ( My new job for the last 6 years)
Old 11-16-2005, 11:53 AM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Xvetteowner
And why did he get so upset and start saying 'Forget it Go,Go!! "
C'mon, dude was hungry and he knew McD was about to stop serving breakfast

I know when I'm hungry, air in the tires can wait....

Quick Reply: Almost car jacked