Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber wheel cracking. Anyone else experience this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 11:57 AM
Patric F.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber wheel cracking. Anyone else experience this?

The top carbon piece of my steering wheel is developing small cracks all along the top edge(facing windshield). So far none of these cracks have flaked off, but they feel as if they could. Has anyone else had this happen? If so, did it get any worse? Is there a fix short of replacing a very expensive wheel? If not, has Porsche stepped up at all on any out of warranty cars that have had this problem? Any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Pat
Old 11-14-2005, 12:00 PM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

Originally Posted by Patric F.
The top carbon piece of my steering wheel is developing small cracks all along the top edge(facing windshield). So far none of these cracks have flaked off, but they feel as if they could. Has anyone else had this happen? If so, did it get any worse? Is there a fix short of replacing a very expensive wheel? If not, has Porsche stepped up at all on any out of warranty cars that have had this problem? Any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Pat
I have not had an issue with my wheel yet, I have had replaced under warranty the carbon air vents, defrosters and upper console as they all started to peel or warp due to the sun. My car is not even a daily driver. Once out of warranty I'm on my own.... They will not replace them.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:07 PM
Patric F.
Instructor

Default Thanks Gary for the response.

It seems as if Porsche has a recognized problem that anyone with carbon is SOL once the warranty runs out. From what I can gather, it is not if you will have a problem, but when. I may call Porsche customer care just to run this by them.
Thanks,
Old 11-14-2005, 12:10 PM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a problem from too much sun exposure.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:11 PM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

Originally Posted by Patric F.
It seems as if Porsche has a recognized problem that anyone with carbon is SOL once the warranty runs out. From what I can gather, it is not if you will have a problem, but when. I may call Porsche customer care just to run this by them.
Thanks,
Your observation is correct. I know many that have had the same issues as I.

Good Luck
Old 11-14-2005, 12:18 PM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

Originally Posted by teflon_jones
Sounds like a problem from too much sun exposure.
It does not take much...

The carbon on most pieces is put on over plastic. It starts to peel away from the plastic. Some have glued certain pieces with contact cement from Home Depot and it has solved the problem as of now. Not something we should have to do since Porsche knows the quality of the parts sucks and this happens all the time. Not an option with the wheel, that maybe a different issue. On my defrosters when they were not in the sun the carbon curled on the edges peeling away from the plastic, but when in the sun it layed flat until I parked it overnight in my garage again.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:13 PM
Fordo
Advanced

You are saying that the Carbon Fiber pieces are just plastic pieces with Carbon Fiber over it? I have a few pices of the Carbon Fiber interior and was looking to buy more but not now. It is disappointing that Porsche sells a poor piece of plastic for such a large amount.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:23 PM
an02boxster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be nice if we could turn in our old peices for deep discounts on replacements. And hopefully they would have solved the problem
Old 11-16-2005, 12:35 PM
SciFrog
Racer

My wood steering wheel was replaced for a crack after only one year...
Now I have a small crack in the wood trim around the dials... Hopefully the warranty will take care of that too.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:45 PM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

Originally Posted by Fordo
You are saying that the Carbon Fiber pieces are just plastic pieces with Carbon Fiber over it? I have a few pices of the Carbon Fiber interior and was looking to buy more but not now. It is disappointing that Porsche sells a poor piece of plastic for such a large amount.
Yep!!! The door sills are all carbon... Just take off any of your pieces and look at the bottom.... Plastic...

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber wheel cracking. Anyone else experience this?