Sponsored by:

Trade up for a F355 or am I fooling myself

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2001, 08:23 PM
OrisChrono
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Trade up for a F355 or am I fooling myself

Alright I am at a crossroads. And need advice.

Should I trade my 2000 996 C2 for a 1995 F355? The F355's has less than 9K miles. No accidents, no history, all service documented including the 15K.

However based on the market price of both vehicles I would have to pay a difference of $35K on top of the trade in.

FYI - my car has 5100 miles and OTD price was $97K in case that mattered.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-03-2001, 09:32 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

TRADE before he changes his mind
Old 12-03-2001, 09:33 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

TRADE before he changes his mind
Old 12-03-2001, 10:09 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts
If u want chicks and your single and everyone oggling over your car i go for it. hope that helps. I was thinking of the 355 myself but having a wife and kid 2 seaters are out of the question and my wife would be suspicious that i'm getting something : ).
mike
'99 996 coupe
red/black
b&m shifter
fabspeed cold airflow (still pending delivery..)
Ruf steel pedals with footrest(pending)
still researching on other items- a joy to modify : )!!!!
Old 12-04-2001, 07:55 AM
Graham
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by OrisChrono:
<STRONG>Should I trade my 2000 996 C2 for a 1995 F355? The F355's has less than 9K miles. No accidents, no history, all service documented including the 15K.Any suggestions?</STRONG>
I assume that we are talking about a '95 F355 berlinetta?

I had 2 355's - a '96 spyder and a '99 F1 GTS - I miss them... although not the expense of ownership.

Things to consider:

The '95 was the first generation of the 355 and was subject to a couple of issues - valve guide issues and header failures. Make sure that the car has had all recalls and services, particularly in these areas. These are VERY expensive to get fixed. In my case, the '96 had the header disintegrate but luckily Ferrari NA handled this under warranty otherwise it would have been a $4k item, plus $1k for the alternator that failed due to heat-shield material ingestion.

Another thing to watch out for was the interior trim - the leather on the dash is very prone to shrinkage, particularly in warm climates. Interior trim around the console & door handles get pretty beaten up too and are expensive to replace.

Servicing - 15k/30k are the important ones. These MUST be carried out by a regular Ferrari dealer if you want any peace of mind. These belt services require engine out and you cannot afford to be cheap with these. Generally service costs were pretty high, but, let's face it, it's a Ferrari!!

My spider had issues with the roof mechanism - compared to the Porsche it's junk. Not a problem for you though.

So, should you do it? YES! (You only live once!!!)

Expect running costs to be high, don't expect Porsche reliability and make sure that you have a 'daily' available for when it's in the shop. (It can be exasperating waiting for parts too - it can take a long time to get even the smallest/common parts)

Oh, and put a Tubi exhaust on it - the sound is like automotive sex ... you'll never be able to go back.

Graham
Old 12-04-2001, 10:17 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Depends entirely on what you want. If you want a car with similar if not superior performance keep the 996. If you want intoxicating sound and sex appeal and the maintenance doesn't bother you, then get the 355. My 01 996 cab keeps up in the twisties with a 360 coupe driven by a driver of similar to better abilities, and it goes to the dealer once a year for it's low cost service. But, I had a nice buzz the day I was behind that 360 listening to that tubi exhaust!
Old 12-04-2001, 01:54 PM
OrisChrono
Instructor

Hey everyone, thanks for the advice.

I hope you don't mind if I throw another mix into it. I've realized that I could even consider a 996 turbo at this point (at least based on the difference in trade).

I guess you can't go wrong with a Ferrari...ahhh...decisions decisions.....

So now....which way should the scale tip towards? F355 or 996 Turbo?
Old 12-04-2001, 03:36 PM
Erik H
Advanced

Please tell me where you have found a 996 Turbo for only $95k!!! Do they have anymore, cause I'd be all over that.
Old 12-04-2001, 06:13 PM
roschpe
Advanced

I may be vocal about the problems with the new 996, but I would NEVER think of trading a Porsche for "Italian Trash".

The Ferrari, may look great but they are sincerely junk. The reason you don't see more 328, TR's, or 348's on the road is b/c these cars don't last.

They are no where near the engineering feats of the 911 and even the 996.

All Porsches are made to take a **** kicking, as far as driving goes...

Tell me when was the last time you saw an old
TR, or 348?...You won't see them cause they are all at the shop, "tired and worn", or sitting in someones garage as a trophy.

Those cars were never made for function, only for form.

The Germans are very reserved, structured and functional people and it shows in the products they make.

If you sell your 911 for that "trash box", do us a favour and leave the board.
Old 12-04-2001, 06:28 PM
Tabor
Drifting

I hear the 360s are reliable enough to be daily drivers.
Old 12-04-2001, 06:36 PM
roschpe
Advanced

yeah right, ok lets QUALIFY what reliable means.

For Ferrari reliable means major and regular maintenance, my neighbour has one.

I've had my 996 for 2 years now, 20,000km, it takes a **** kicking everyday I drive it,
regular maintanence has been 2 oil changes.

You can't beat the 911 for reliability. you can complain all you want about stupid squeeks, coolant light problems and whatever else but you will never have a problem with reliability, like you would with the Ferrari.
Old 12-04-2001, 08:43 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by roschpe:
<STRONG>yeah right, ok lets QUALIFY what reliable means.

For Ferrari reliable means major and regular maintenance, my neighbour has one.

I've had my 996 for 2 years now, 20,000km, it takes a **** kicking everyday I drive it,
regular maintanence has been 2 oil changes.

You can't beat the 911 for reliability. you can complain all you want about stupid squeeks, coolant light problems and whatever else but you will never have a problem with reliability, like you would with the Ferrari.</STRONG>
Having owned a Mondial 3.2 Cab for the past five years (and purchased from my brother the orignal owner) along side of a 96 C4 just traded yesterday on a MY2000 996, I think that you're being a bit hard on Ferrari reliability. In 16 years of combined ownership the car has had a water pump and clutch replaced. Other than that its only been routine service + an oil change per year which of course has been insanely expensive. The only time its been trailered was when the dealer offered to pick it up for service, one of the perks you get for spending 4 grand on a 15K service.

Personally, given some of the teething pains of the 355 as mentioned above, I'd beware. Frankly as 996s are in the dumper on resale ( I just paid 60K for a 996 C2 GT Aero whose original sticker was 95K from a Porsche Dealer, admittedly a sweet deal )and late model 8 Cyl Ferraris have really yet to see the pain, If I were going to make the switch, I'd wait a while to see if 911 prices come back or at least 355 prices sink comparably.
Old 12-04-2001, 10:09 PM
Huzurdd
Advanced

I got my00 c2 from a ferrari dealer. I considered a Mercedes but didn't want an auto box. So I figured to continue to live the wild life and get either a ferrari or porsche. I was fortunate to have a nearby shop who had expeirence with both. The service manager was also a SCCA driving instructor. So I put the question to him. This is what I got out of it.
The ferrari isn't as reliable or easy to live with everyday as the porsche. A ferrari is a track car or a long weekend getaway car. It doesn't like short trips as the oil takes a little while to heat up to temp. Also the clutch is on the heavy side. There isn't any room to make a good weekend car as there is hardly any excess room to store anything. Its purly for oohs and ahhs as its function is limited. Thats is unless your schumacher and you need something in the ball park as your work car. I was ready to get either car on the spot. The shop manager would of loved my money I would of spent on maint.. But instead in all honesty steered me clear of the ferrari. Thats is "unless I have money I don't need" he said. So I personally think you should stick to a German product. A P-car!

Turbo? depends on added insurance cost and life of the turbo's. I personally don't like waiting around to let the turbo cars cool off before shutting down the engine. Nor the turbo lag. {I haven't driven a new 996 turbo so I'm not sure this statment applies}. I know they have aftermarket timers out there, just don't like the fact of the car running unsupervised. Also unsure of the tubo size as the smaller ones spool up quicker. The non-turbo is fast by any standard unless tracked. In everyday you wouldn't use the turbo. Go get the new 4s, Is what I think!!!!! and save yourself the extra $$$$ for someones old c2 track car. I'm sure that would be a lot more fun on the track then trying to avoid tickets and other motorist driving the turbo fast....
Just my 2 cents
Old 12-04-2001, 10:49 PM
Kaz
Three Wheelin'

I second Huzurdd.

K
Old 12-05-2001, 03:52 AM
Graham
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by roschpe:
<STRONG>I may be vocal about the problems with the new 996, but I would NEVER think of trading a Porsche for "Italian Trash".

The Ferrari, may look great but they are sincerely junk. The reason you don't see more 328, TR's, or 348's on the road is b/c these cars don't last.</STRONG>
With all due respect, you are talking out of your tail-pipe and obviously know NOTHING about actually owning or running one of these.

Despite my note on ownership issues, these cars are not junk, are not trash, and do indeed last. In fact, they are typically kept on the road with the same level of fanatiscism as p-cars.

The reason you don't see many TR's, 328's, 348's, 355's and 360's is simply because they're typically second cars plus the fact that only a fraction of the quantity are built compared to the far more common Porsche.

If you want a daily driver, particularly as your only vehicle, buy another Porsche. (That doesn't make a Ferrari junk either ....)

Quick Reply: Trade up for a F355 or am I fooling myself