Sponsored by:

More suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2001, 05:16 PM
STRSHP
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question More suspension questions

I am considering three options for my 99 996 C2.

1. Adding the Eibach springs to the stock shocks to lower the car a bit and provide hopefully a bit more crisp handling. Have asked a local aftermarket shop whose owner drives a 996 in DE and he said he has just this set up and likes it fine. This is the least expensive option.
2. Purchasing the european 030 kit with shocks and springs. I understand they have adjustable perches and will allow the car to be about 20mm lower. This is the most expensive.
3. Purchasing a Bilstein/Eibach combination offered by FVD. Have visited their web site and reviewed their ad in Excellence. Slightly less expensive than the 030.

This car is primarily a street car with the odd DE event during the year. Want to lower it for aesthetic as well as handling reasons.

Comments?
Old 12-03-2001, 06:09 PM
CjN
Intermediate

Dont know anything about Eibach springs, most people that go aftermarket go with the H&R coilovers. I went with the ROW 030 setup b/c im a freak about keekping a car as slose to stock as possible. Dropped the car just the right amount and car corners MUCH flatter.
Old 12-03-2001, 06:39 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Good friend of mine has the H&R springs only and he drives the wheels off the car at the track. Car is very fast.

Is it the best setup in the world, no. Is it still faster than most cars lap after lap, yes. Is it an improvement from stock, you bet.

Since he is turning the car back, he might be selling the springs.

E. J.
Old 12-03-2001, 06:45 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recently had the H&R Coilover kit installed and I love it. Car is a bit lower and stiffer. I bought the kit at TireRack (at a price no one could beat) and had it installed locally.
Old 12-03-2001, 07:01 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Look at the Bilstein PSS-9 system, check out www.carnewal.com or Steve Weiner has them at http://www.rennsportsystems.com/~porsche/

Either source is top-notch.

Greg
Old 12-03-2001, 11:11 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Thumbs up

I have some H&R sport springs (new) for sale in the classified section. Only $250+shipping if anyone is interested.
Doug
Old 12-04-2001, 08:40 AM
STRSHP
Racer

Thanks for all of the responses. Question, though. I understand the H&R's drop the car over 1 1/2 inches at each corner while the Eibach and 030 set up drop it just a tad less than an inch. I am not sure I want to go any lower than 1 inch. I am guessing that by doing so I limit my ability to set the car for the track. Any additional thoughts?
Old 12-04-2001, 03:55 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

The H&Rs will supposedly lower the car 1.25" or 30mm all around.
Old 12-04-2001, 05:03 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally posted by STRSHP:
<STRONG>I am considering three options for my 99 996 C2.

1. Adding the Eibach springs to the stock shocks to lower the car a bit and provide hopefully a bit more crisp handling. Have asked a local aftermarket shop whose owner drives a 996 in DE and he said he has just this set up and likes it fine. This is the least expensive option.
2. Purchasing the european 030 kit with shocks and springs. I understand they have adjustable perches and will allow the car to be about 20mm lower. This is the most expensive.
3. Purchasing a Bilstein/Eibach combination offered by FVD. Have visited their web site and reviewed their ad in Excellence. Slightly less expensive than the 030.

This car is primarily a street car with the odd DE event during the year. Want to lower it for aesthetic as well as handling reasons.

Comments?</STRONG>
I have the Euro M030 kit and am very pleased with it. Significantly improved handling and all Porsche parts. The shorter springs on the kit lower the car 20mm in the front but only 10mm in the rear. The car has a more aggressive stance without going too low and causing problems with clearance. This ride height is fixed, however; the spring perches are NOT adjustable. Sounds like you have already settled on an alternative, but just thought I would provide the info. Keep in mind that the M030 kit also includes upgraded sway bars as well as shocks and springs. Don't know if the setup you are considering includes them.

Mike
Old 12-04-2001, 05:07 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you have a standard suspension, don't lower the car with either H&R or Eibach springs without changing to firmer shocks. You will have some problems one of which is bottoming out. If you already have the US M030, you might be able to use the above springs and you will find that either set will lower the car approximately 1" ± 0.5".

As to the ROW M030, it is not height adjustable and lowers a US 996 ± 20 mm in front and ± 10 mm at rear. IMO, this would be the best compromise if you are going to drive mostly on the streets. Any coilover setup will be firmer riding in case that may be objectionable to you.

The Bilstein PSS9 is not yet available for the 996.
Old 12-05-2001, 08:04 AM
STRSHP
Racer

Thanks for all of the information. You guys have given me much to think about. Maybe a purchase of a suspension text will help me out. Again, thanks much

Quick Reply: More suspension questions