Sport Seats on a C4S

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2001, 12:34 PM
Whitland
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Sport Seats on a C4S

Hello:

I'm just about ready to order a 2002 C4S on which the Sport seats are a no-charge option.

What's the consensus here about these seats vs. the regular ones? I'm having some trouble finding a 996 with Sport Seats to test drive and compare first hand. I am planning to do some DE events in the new car.

Just for reference, my wife has sport seats on her BMW and we both really like the extra support lateral support they provide.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-01-2001, 01:18 PM
privates8
Addict
Rennlist Member

Whitland,
I ordered the sports seats for my C4S as well.I have been told that the seats are pretty much the same as the previous sports seat. I have driven with them and without. I definitely like the lateral support that they provide. Clearly this need is more pronounced the more aggressively you drive the car.
The only drawback is that they are not automatic and memory and so if there are multiple drivers, you have to manually adjust for leg length.
Additionally, the sport seat will not be comfortable for the particularly wide-bodied driver.
Old 12-15-2001, 09:43 PM
Al Hoover
Intermediate

Whitland:

I have heated leather sport seats on my MY2000 cab and love them.

Al H. (AS C4 Cab)

Old 12-15-2001, 10:14 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
On the 9x6 cars, the sport seats add little, if any, support over the standard seats. Cannot be compared with the BMW sport seats. I'd only get them if I wanted their looks.
Old 12-15-2001, 10:39 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow, is that right Viken? The lateral support on my standard seats SUCK! I've never driven one with the sport seats but have regreted not ordering them under the premise that the current lack of lateral support problem would therefore be rectified! Gonna order the GT3 seats, so it's a moot point for me now though. But, I'm still curious about whether they do offer more lateral support.
Old 12-15-2001, 11:18 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ben,

Yes, that is correct. Porsche wimped-out on the sport seats of the 9x6 cars. The ones in the 993 were much more supportive. Go for the GT3 seats, you won't regret it.
Old 12-15-2001, 11:35 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well that sure makes me feel better than my ommission in ordering those sport seats was no big deal. The only reason I held off in buying the GT3 seats as I have is that I can drive my cab in 60 degree weather with my heated seats. Those days will be gone with the GT3 seats :-(
Old 12-16-2001, 12:00 AM
Whitland
Cruisin'

Talking

Thanks to everyone for their f/b; I really appreciate the comments and observations.

I was recently able to drive a '99 996 with the Sport Seats. Although this ride wasn't too aggressive, I concluded that the Sport seats felt similar to the standard ones across the hips and lower back but were too tight across the shoulders. I felt like I was sitting forward and unable to sit back into the seat. This may just be me but I was quite surprised since I'm not that big (6', 175 lbs).

Having now tried them, I agree with Viken that the extra support over standard seats was not an obvious improvement as is the case with BMW Sport vs. Standard seats.

Anyway, thanks to all who contributed to this thread; I've ordered my new C4S with the standard seats. Now the hard part is waiting....
Old 12-16-2001, 01:07 PM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Hi: If the sport seats on the "S" models are the same as optional sport seats on my 02 996 Cab, then they are very comfortable and hold you in well. I am 6.0' and about 260 and I fit in very well. Don Watson
Old 12-16-2001, 03:25 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally posted by Whitland:
<STRONG>
I was recently able to drive a '99 996 with the Sport Seats. Although this ride wasn't too aggressive, I concluded that the Sport seats felt similar to the standard ones across the hips and lower back but were too tight across the shoulders. I felt like I was sitting forward and unable to sit back into the seat. This may just be me but I was quite surprised since I'm not that big (6', 175 lbs)</STRONG>
I'm about the same size as you (6'1 180) and I had exactly the same impression of the sport seats. I now have the GT3 seats installed in my car, and they are just about perfect, both from a functional and esthetic standpoint. Highly recommended!

Mike
Old 12-16-2001, 04:01 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just out of curiousity, is there any height adjustment for the butt part?
Old 12-17-2001, 12:13 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally posted by ben in lj:
<STRONG>Just out of curiousity, is there any height adjustment for the butt part?</STRONG>
Ben,

The ONLY adjustment with the GT3 seats is fore and aft. No adjustments for tilt, height or even seatback rake (its just a fiberglass shell) which makes getting in the backseat problematic, even just to clean the window, depending on your size.

Mike

Quick Reply: Sport Seats on a C4S