996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Cab in DE - can run w/soft top up?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 01:24 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 996 Cab in DE - can run w/soft top up?

question-
my friend has a stock 996 cab. Can he do a beginners drivers ed event (limerock)? Can he run it with the soft top up? Also, is there a way to manually extend the pop-up roll bars? - would this be acceptable?
thanks,
rob
Old 04-16-2003, 01:28 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Depends on the local PCA region, most will allow cabs with top up, for a beginners/green run group it should not be a problem. If he goes into the upper run groups he will need a roll bar.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:27 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts
Most regions require arm restraints if you drive with the top down.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:52 PM
CarlosR
Instructor

I always put the hard top on when I track my 996 cab. Of course, your friend may not have one, but if he does, I think it's worth the effort to have it on. Between that and the pop-up bars I feel somewhat safe, although a real roll bar would be best.

I don't know how to pop up the bars manually, but they are so fast that I don't know why you'd want to.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:56 PM
Tom 77
Addict
Rennlist Member

Lime Rock is getting a bit twichy. They dont like Boxters and are enforcing the Broom Stick rule.They havent said anything (as far as I know) about Cab's. I assume he is with NY Metro. In that case he can run with the top up. He will need a fire extinguisher bolted to something, usually a seat. Other clubs may not require a fire extinguisher for Green run group. Hope this helps. For more Info, have him go to the web site of the PCA club he is in.
Old 04-20-2003, 02:50 PM
slodrivingmike
Instructor

I ran my BoxsterS with the top closed in PCA de's in the Goldcoast and Suncoast regions (south and central Florida).
Old 04-21-2003, 12:43 PM
Phil Rosenstein
AutoX

I've got a 2000 C4 Cab (also stock) and I might be able to help you. As others have mentioned, there are different rules for different tracks & regions.

I am in Northern New Jersey and my region told me that having the hard top on doesn't mean anything as it does not provide structural support. Therefore, I could only run at tracks that allow the "Broomstick Rule". I have found that most tracks are ok with the "Broomstick Rule" and the pop-up rollover bars. But, Lime Rock and VIR are two tracks that would not let me go. Also, they mentioned that appears to be the trend in tracks.

However, the Schattenbaum PCA region has said that having the hard top on counts the same as a coupe and thus, I would be able to run anywhere. The track chair there last year claimed to have a letter from Porsche NA stating this.

One thing that appears to be common between regions and tracks is the fire extinguisher rule. It is strongly recommended, though not required until the higher run groups. So, beginners do not need to have one installed in most cases.

There is a way to manually pop-up the rollover bars, though it certainly isn't easy with your basic tools. I did it with a Tech inspector to make sure that I would pass the "Broomstick Rule" and it was quite a hassle. Also, it's easiest to do wityh the top down. Unfortunately, you shouldn't put the top up or down with those bars extended.

Finally, the easiest way to answer your question is to direct you to the Track Chair in the region which is running the DE Event. I guarantee they have been asked this before and have a definite answer ready for you.

Best of Luck!

Phil

Quick Reply: 996 Cab in DE - can run w/soft top up?