1999 C4

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2001, 10:46 AM
Whitland
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 1999 C4

Hello:

Is there anything in particular to watch out for in a 99 C4? I may have found one at what seems to be a good price (mid $50s) but its not local so I can't easily inspect or test drive in person.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-27-2001, 11:57 AM
brobbinson
Instructor

Great price - I'm happy for you, and ouching for me since I paid sooo much more for my '99 C4 (under different market conditions). I love mine, its a great car. There are no "issues" with the model, per se, other than some minor issues that applied to all early MY '99 cars (some reported engine problems and a tendency for the engine warning light to come on after filling up at the gas pump). My car had none of these infirmities, but they are all covered under warranty and the '99 should be still covered. Check for the options on your car (PSM is standard on the C4). Run "carfax" for any recorded title, accident problems. I know its not "local," but see if you can arrange to have the car brought to a dealer for a diagnostic check to make sure there are no problems before you buy it. If there is more than 10,000 miles on the car, it probably needs new tires, unless they've already been replaced.

Good luck.
Old 11-27-2001, 04:42 PM
Whitland
Cruisin'

Thanks Brian.

I just found out that this car had a replacement engine a few months ago! The mechanic at the installing dealership said that he'd done a few due to head gasket problems or oil leaks.

Has anyone else with a '99 needed a replacement engine at <25k miles? This doesn't sound good!
Old 11-27-2001, 10:21 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts
I have a 99 996 coupe and has 19k on it and didnt have to replace the engine.Only small things like the airbag lite/oil leaks and the rear deck lid corrosion and the glove box latch broke but all were fixed under warranty. Just had it serviced a month agao and not a problem yet. Hope that helps ya. There's a guy on the web with id name spped who had his 99 with 55k and no problems other then what i mentioned. I think if the car was a lease car people maybe more reckless with there driving but my car has only 19k which is not too bad for 3 years. take care

Quick Reply: 1999 C4