Sponsored by:

PCA membership

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 12:35 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Question PCA membership

I just joined PCA after reading a post that reminded me to do so.

Quick question, though: did anyone feel a little nervous about putting the Serial # of their car on the web site? Felt like a very invasive doctor's appointment.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:47 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Nope, not at all. Are you referring to your VIN?
Old 11-04-2005, 12:52 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No. You will notice that when you register, the site goes to httpS, and a little lock appears at the bottom of your browser. The S tells you that your are on a secure site. Now, as for what PCA does with it once they get it, I cannot tell you. But if your worried about who might intercept it while transmitting, just PCA.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:53 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

If it is VIN then it allows them to verify EXACTLY what model car you have.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:07 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

yeah, the VIN. I did it. And it seems reasonable that they would want to see it. Just felt weird. Kind of like going to the doctor's office for a hernia check. Ok, a little TMI there.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:08 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

TMI is right. Now I have that visual in my head!!!
Old 11-04-2005, 01:14 PM
Lugnutty
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I never really understood why things like this bother people. Why wouldn't you want to share your VIN with someone? Anyone walking through a parking lot can get the VIN of your car. I never really understood why people blur them out of their photos.
Just like the blurred out license plates on the same pictures. Again, anyone driving near you could get your license plate number.
Do people really do mischevious things with VINs and license plate numbers that they grab from pictures on the internet?
Besides, if you are really that nervous, go on to eBay's site and grab the VIN off of a listing for a similar car. Easy as a lion.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:47 PM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

[QUOTE=Jon968]I never really understood why things like this bother people. Why wouldn't you want to share your VIN with someone? Anyone walking through a parking lot can get the VIN of your car. I never really understood why people blur them out of their photos.

You make a good point. I think we are overly concerned about some things and under concerned with others. In the grand design of things probably very little damage can be done with someone knowing your VIN number. Your Social Security number on the other hand if boosted can cause a lot of problems.

Besides, I guess I am starting to see that this whole concept of "privacy" sure as heck ain't what it used to be. I frequently use a law data bases. You should see the stuff I can pull up and from there its a short step into other linked data bases, to others and others right down the line. Its like your life has become one great big Safeway Card.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:56 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Jon968, lots of good points. Makes me feel kind of silly now.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:28 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon968
Do people really do mischevious things with VINs and license plate numbers that they grab from pictures on the internet?
Umm.. yeah, they do. A friend of mine was interested to know that his car was for sale a little while back on eBay - by somebody else. Someone had lifted the pictures he had posted to an Audi site, used the license # to get the VIN and posted it for sale. With a VIN that is right for the car, a CarFax report would all be correct.

Originally Posted by nycebo
Kind of like going to the doctor's office for a hernia check.
Try going for a prostate check.

Marc
Old 11-04-2005, 05:17 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason I would blurr the license plate in any pic of my car is that most pics I have are on track and I don't want the dealer to know that I track my car (it's still under warrantee). And if you don't think that dealers are reading this website, I can assure you they do and can use your posts and pictures legally (even if you remove them from the server) to deny warrantee claims. As me how I know.........

Quick Reply: PCA membership