Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

PSE Issues?? Wrong part number.. Or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 12:18 PM
dlr218
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry PSE Issues?? Wrong part number.. Or Not?

I own a 2003 996. I recently installed PSE part number: 000 044 200 08 on my vehicle. My car has 2000 miles on it and after I installed this exhaust, the car began to idle differently. It eventually evened out, however, as I was having some issues with the idle, I began to ask a different dealer from where I had the exhaust installed about this part number being for 996 models up to 2001. I thought that maybe I was having problems with the idle due to it being the PSE for earlier models. I have had so many different opinions as to whether or not this exhaust part number is going to cause any engine or performance problems with my vehicle. Some say that because it has the 4/5 bypass rather than the 2” bypass on the newer exhaust, that I am going to have back pressure issues. At this point, the exhaust sounds great. The dealer has said they will swap it out for the proper exhaust for and additional $ 500.00, however, I would hate to spend the money, if there is no issue with this exhaust part number being on a 2003 vehicle.

Any insight or opinion you might have will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-30-2003, 03:52 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

What you have is the PSE for 911 Carrera up to 07/01, per the Porsche Tequipment catalog (2002).
There is no reason that the exhaust will not work on your 2003 3.6l engine, but bear in mind there are significant differences between the two versions of PSE and the 3.4/3.6 engines.
The 3.6l PSE uses an additional outflow tube (not really a bypass) from the body of the muffler to the outflow tube. This tube is also substantially larger, with a diameter of 2". This is contrary to the 3.4 PSE which uses a smaller 4/5" bypass tube that runs between the inflow and outflow tubes.
Additionally, there are differences between the engines,(other than the obvious size) including valve sizes, heads, headers, cams...IMO there are enough differences that I chose to keep my '00 model year correct and use the 3.4 PSE version. Again, I'm sure there is nothing wrong with using the 3.4 PSE on a 3.6l, but I have to defer to the Porsche engineers on this question. If you are really worried about it, $500 might be a small price to pay for some piece of mind IMO. You could also complain to the dealer about having the wrong part and see if they will cut you a better deal or do it for free.
Old 05-30-2003, 04:56 PM
dlr218
2nd Gear

Thank you for the info Doug!!!

Quick Reply: PSE Issues?? Wrong part number.. Or Not?